Default DeSean Jackson?

Published: March 18, 2014 at 05:27 p.m.
    Updated: March 18, 2014 at 05:59 p.m.
    Report: DeSean Jackson draws Patriots, 49ers' interest

Chris Wesseling
    Around the League Writer

2013: Best of DeSean Jackson
    This didn't take long to escalate.

Mere hours after we pointed out that recent trade speculation isn't sitting well with DeSean Jackson, a report has surfaced that the Philadelphia Eagles are listening to offers for the Pro Bowl wide receiver.

Citing a league source, CSN Philly's Derrick Gunn reports the Eagles are seeking at least a third-round draft pick "and potentially more" in return for Jackson. The team has already heard from the San Francisco 49ers and New England Patriots, per Gunn.

The 49ers are an interesting match, as they are desperate for a speed element in the passing game and Jackson played collegiately in the Bay Area at Cal.

Why would a team favored to win the NFC East and contend for a Super Bowl appearance be willing to trade its No. 1 receiver and biggest mismatch in the passing game?

Pro Bowl Can't-Miss Play: Luck-y flea-flicker
    Jackson and coach Chip Kelly got off to a rocky start last offseason. There has been mounting speculation that the high-maintenance receiver is not a fit for the culture Kelly wants to instill.

We suspect the braintrust took an awfully dim view of Jackson's public plea for more money in January, less than two seasons after he was awarded a five-year, $48.5 million contract coming off a disappointing campaign.

Even with Jackson's unique talent, that perceived me-first attitude and a top-10 salary at wide receiver will challenge the Eagles' efforts to get fair value in a trade. If they decide to pull the trigger, it makes sense to wait until the weekend of the 2014 NFL Draft to see if they can lasso a replacement playmaker for Nick Foles.

The "Around The League Podcast" breaks down the latest free agency moves and highlights a few under-the-radar signings.

Can't help but wonder what kind of relationship he's got with Reid at this given moment

I think Eagles would be looking for a 1st rounder, but i wouldn't mind him in KC

Per the Article looks like they're looking for a 3rd possibly a 2nd. But we all agree we need WR help and he knows Reid's Offense. He's already proven to excel in that offense. (No risk really) but what's it gonna cost us is the question?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    Per the Article looks like they're looking for a 3rd possibly a 2nd. But we all agree we need WR help and he knows Reid's Offense. He's already proven to excel in that offense. (No risk really) but what's it gonna cost us is the question?
    Just a 3rd, might be worth a shot, but i'm not sure what his contract is. KC doesn't have much space left

5 year 48.5 mil contract is what he currently holds that's just under 10mil/year. 3 years left on that contract. I think he'd be worth 10 mil/year. If we acquired him in a trade we don't renegotiate his contract correct?

A 3rd rounder I'd bite their hand off. It would be foolish not to trade a 3rd rounder for a player as good as DeSean Jackson if we can make it work cap wise. The chances of getting a receiver superior to Jackson in the 3rd are slim at best. He has speed and gets separation both of which our receivers lack.

I saw that article and had the same thought. When I saw that they wanted a 3rd rounder, I got really excited. When I saw that he is due to make 10.5 million, I got sad. We don't have that kind of cap space right now. We would have to renegotiate a couple contracts, which would really put us in a bad position next year. Is he worth 10million? Probably, especially since he knows the offense and after all that is what Bowe is getting. Do we have that kind of money? Probably not.

Per the Espn anylists they are saying the Eagles might even take so much as a 4th rounder being that his salary is so high. Think about this. DeSean is 27 this year could be his best year yet. Signing him would mean we wouldn't have to worry about WR. We could go CB with our first rounder or tuitt. OG in the 3rd and BPA thereafter. I think this makes sense. Bowe would make a great #2 maybe he'd take a restructure. This move would instantly put us back in contention for the west. We were about to pay Sanders around 5 mil/year your telling me we cannot scrounge up an additional 5mil?

He's vastly overrated and has been a pain his entire career. Why in the world would you take on his contract and give up a draft pick when you are short one already in a WR rich draft? No thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast