Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2014 draft wish list

Default 2014 draft wish list

My wishlist and not in any particular order or round:

A 3-4 DE that can attack the QB.
    A 3-4 OLB that can both cover receivers and rush the passer
    A WR that can become a go-to guy
    A CB that can add depth in case right away in case of injury & play right away in sub-packages
    A Safety that can add depth
    A O-Lineman to add depth and eventually push for a starting job.

That's 6 players filling the 6 draft picks the Chiefs have assuming there are no trades.

Post your wishlist here.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    ....LOL...

The wish list...no order...

WR (2x)
    Pass rusher
    O-line
    Safety
    CB
    I could see 2 receivers coming from the draft if they take a WR in round 1. I'm sure you aren't alone in the thought of doubling up at WR and Dorsey/Reid could very well be thinking the same thing.

Even if there was a Defensive collapse at the end of last season, Andy Reid is still an Offensive guru and wants to build an Offense like we saw under Dick Vermeil.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    My list
    !. Defense all around
    2. Wr help
    3 O line depth
    On Defense, I'm still of the belief that a 3-4 DE that can attack the QB ( in addition to Walker ) could help as much as anything, and next would be an OLB that can cover and attack the QB. Everybody saw what happened when Hali and Houston got hurt and the Defense went pfffffffft.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 03-24-2014 at 10:48 AM.

It’s funny. Two years ago most Chief fans were saying that the team was a coach and a QB away. They pointed to the 6 Pro-Bowlers, 5 of which were on defense as the reason.

Fast forward and many say the defensive personnel is the problem. The offense started to perform better down the stretch, they say.

I don't buy it. I think this is knee-jerk reaction to the defense’s declining performance down the stretch and SEA's domination of DEN in the SB.

There are positions that need help on the defense as has been mentioned by many. However, the #1 need is a WR compliment to Dwayne Bowe. Any offensive improvement down the stretch was in spite of the same shoddy WR corp that was a problem all year long. #1a is OL help as last year’s 2 best players are gone.

Unfortunately, the problems on defense may not be with the personnel as much as the defensive coordinator. After the quick start I was willing to look past my shortcomings of Bob “Hal” Sutton. I thought maybe he had learned something under Rex Ryan. The fact remains that Shallow Hal was a failure as a DC in NYJ before being demoted to LB coach after Ryan took over. A team of defensive all-stars might not be good enough.

To build a defense like SEA’s in this day and age is not easy. They drafted late round gems like Kam Chancellor and Richard Sherman that you just can’t assume even the shrewdest of front offices can achieve. Add in FA castoffs brought in on the cheap and it’s a difficult feat to accomplish.

The Chiefs best player is Jamaal Charles. They’ve already made significant investment in Al Smith. They’re about to invest even more. Yet there is one WR worth a damn. A TE corp that cannot stay healthy. And lastly, an OL that looks to be significantly worse than last year’s unit.

Sorry but adding defensive personnel should wait until day 3. In the meantime hire Wade Phillips as a defensive consultant.
    Last edited by Mongo; 03-24-2014 at 12:34 PM.
    ...in my opinion

Depth at Oline. We currently do not have a starter at RG.

We Currently do not have a starter at FS at least not to be considered a true starter.

Both of these position are generally not taken early in the first round. There could be a NFL ready starter with our first pick for these two positions.

After that - A large portion of our salary cap is spent in Eric Berry, Brandon Flowers and Shawn Smith. As pathetic as the secondary was last year, that is too much money tied up in them. We need to be drafting secondary to compete with Peyton Manning and Philip Rivers and to provide a replacement for over paid paperweights.

We also need a replacment from T. Jackson.

Mongo,

It's understood if you want to Offense, Offense, and more Offense. Like I said, even if there was a Defensive collapse at the end of last season, Andy Reid is still an Offensive guru and wants to build an Offense like we saw under Dick Vermeil.

By the same token, it's very difficult to call it a knee-jerk reaction when a team blows a 38-10 lead and your Defense, outside of Abdullah, does literally nothing expect get torched. One has to remember that John Dorsey was a LB in his playing days & he may think addressing the Defense is a higher priority than addressing the WR core.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    After that - A large portion of our salary cap is spent in Eric Berry, Brandon Flowers and Shawn Smith. As pathetic as the secondary was last year, that is too much money tied up in them. We need to be drafting secondary to compete with Peyton Manning and Philip Rivers and to provide a replacement for over paid paperweights.
    Agreed 100%. Too much money tied up back there. What people will probably disagree with is the thought of building an elite Defensive Front 7 to help out whoever is playing on the back end, because if you can't stop the run and rush the passer, it won't matter who's playing in the Defensive backfield.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 03-24-2014 at 01:00 PM.

Defense, Defense, Defense, WR with hands, WR with speed, O-line Depth

It's not a knee jerk reaction to focus on the defense at all. This isn't a problem that just happened at the end of last season. It's been a common problem with this defensive group. I said it after the year I'll say it again. This defense is SOFT. As soon as things start to get tough in a game this defense over the course of a few years has just packed their tents and gone home. If the Chiefs are going to get to where they want to be they have to fix that problem. They have some really good players on defense now they just need to bring in some tougher guys to help. It HAS to be the focus over the offense. The Seahawks won the super bowl because they have a tough hard nose d. Even when Denver would run their pick plays the Seahawks defenders put them on their rear ends. The NFL has gone way more towards offense for sure. But at the end of the day more often then not defense still comes up big for the team that won the super bowl.
    Last edited by matthewschiefs; 03-24-2014 at 01:38 PM.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Mongo,

It's understood if you want to Offense, Offense, and more Offense. Like I said, even if there was a Defensive collapse at the end of last season, Andy Reid is still an Offensive guru and wants to build an Offense like we saw under Dick Vermeil.

By the same token, it's very difficult to call it a knee-jerk reaction when a team blows a 38-10 lead and your Defense, outside of Abdullah, does literally nothing expect get torched. One has to remember that John Dorsey was a LB in his playing days & he may think addressing the Defense is a higher priority than addressing the WR core.

Agreed 100%. Too much money tied up back there. What people will probably disagree with is the thought of building an elite Defensive Front 7 to help out whoever is playing on the back end, because if you can't stop the run and rush the passer, it won't matter who's playing in the Defensive backfield.
    That's exactly what I'm talking about. The Chiefs should not overract to the defense's collapse versus Indy. They should not forget that the same defense helped build that lead through several first half turnovers. They should also not forget that the same offense that helped build a huge first half lead, did nothing to protect or add to it when it became obvious the defense could not hold it.
    ...in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    That's exactly what I'm talking about. The Chiefs should not overract to the defense's collapse versus Indy. They should not forget that the same defense helped build that lead through several first half turnovers. They should also not forget that the same offense that helped build a huge first half lead, did nothing to protect or add to it when it became obvious the defense could not hold it.
    True. And if you are wanting a couple of WR's in this draft like eydugstr does, the odds are very strong that you are going to get your wish.

I can also see a possibility of trading down with SF to the #30 slot ( this new regime has already traded with the 49ers twice ) and getting an extra pick or two and possibly landing a guy like Tuitt and it would be hard to argue with that move, as it's very rare to see a prospect that had 20.5 sacks in 28 starts as a true 3-4 DE in college and Tuitt's upside is HUGE. Plus, they could still double dip at the WR and DB positions.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    It's not a knee jerk reaction to focus on the defense at all. This isn't a problem that just happened at the end of last season. It's been a common problem with this defensive group. I said it after the year I'll say it again. This defense is SOFT. As soon as things start to get tough in a game this defense over the course of a few years has just packed their tents and gone home. If the Chiefs are going to get to where they want to be they have to fix that problem. They have some really good players on defense now they just need to bring in some tougher guys to help. It HAS to be the focus over the offense. The Seahawks won the super bowl because they have a tough hard nose d. Even when Denver would run their pick plays the Seahawks defenders put them on their rear ends. The NFL has gone way more towards offense for sure. But at the end of the day more often then not defense still comes up big for the team that won the super bowl.
    Also the DC needs to learn how to adjust

Many mock drafts are projecting Clowney to Houston at #1, but if Johnny Manziel has a stellar workout at his Pro Day today, the Texans could very well pull the trigger on selecting him and it could push some players down the draft a bit to the Chiefs pick at the #23 spot.

The one guy that could get pushed down is WR Marqise Lee, depending on who the Steelers, Ravens, and Jets take with their picks. A pretty strong case can be made for taking Marqise Lee at #23, as he's a great character guy, very much in the same mold as Randall Cobb up in GB as player that can help right away in the kick-return department and as a WR he could very quickly become an explosive play-maker that makes opposing defenses play honest 100% of the time. Plus, what Lee did on the football field in 2012 cannot be discounted, as it was absolutely off the charts.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast