Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2014 draft wish list

Default 2014 draft wish list

My wishlist and not in any particular order or round:

A 3-4 DE that can attack the QB.
    A 3-4 OLB that can both cover receivers and rush the passer
    A WR that can become a go-to guy
    A CB that can add depth in case right away in case of injury & play right away in sub-packages
    A Safety that can add depth
    A O-Lineman to add depth and eventually push for a starting job.

That's 6 players filling the 6 draft picks the Chiefs have assuming there are no trades.

Post your wishlist here.

There is no question that the Chiefs could use a good WR and need to replace some players on the O-line. That said, I agree with Dempsy that our first priority should be defense.

Last year when our defense was good (before the bye) the offense found a way to do just enough to win the games. When our offense was good (after the bye), no matter how much they scored, we usually lost.

There is no question that a strong pass rush helps the secondary cover better. Our DBs fell apart after Houston and Hali got hurt and we couldn't pressure the QB. The same thing happened in Chicago when they suffered injuries to their D-line and LBs. A strong pass rush forces QBs to get rid of the ball faster and make bad decisions. It also means that receivers have less time to get open and DBs don't have to cover them for as long or as far down the field.

We need help on both sides of the ball, but we win with defense.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Many mock drafts are projecting Clowney to Houston at #1, but if Johnny Manziel has a stellar workout at his Pro Day today, the Texans could very well pull the trigger on selecting him and it could push some players down the draft a bit to the Chiefs pick at the #23 spot.

The one guy that could get pushed down is WR Marqise Lee, depending on who the Steelers, Ravens, and Jets take with their picks. A pretty strong case can be made for taking Marqise Lee at #23, as he's a great character guy, very much in the same mold as Randall Cobb up in GB as player that can help right away in the kick-return department and as a WR he could very quickly become an explosive play-maker that makes opposing defenses play honest 100% of the time. Plus, what Lee did on the football field in 2012 cannot be discounted, as it was absolutely off the charts.
    I have two problems with Lee. First, he reminds me a lot of Bowe. He makes the amazing one handed diving/somersaulting catch, but then drops the wide open pass that hit him in both hands. Second, he was hurt for almost all of 2013. The games he did play in he wasnt healthy. I am always a little wary of someone who took a whole year to recover.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    I have two problems with Lee. First, he reminds me a lot of Bowe. He makes the amazing one handed diving/somersaulting catch, but then drops the wide open pass that hit him in both hands. Second, he was hurt for almost all of 2013. The games he did play in he wasnt healthy. I am always a little wary of someone who took a whole year to recover.
    That may have happened in 2013, but like you said he was playing hurt. When he was healthy in 2012, he caught 118 passes which indicates he didn't drop very many that year.

A side note: Johnny Manziel has got to be the most HATED draft prospect that I've ever seen. You should see the comments that go up over at NFL.com about him such as:

"Johnny Manziel will become a magician in the NFL because he will make the GM that drafts him disappear". It's that bad.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 03-24-2014 at 04:37 PM.

"Johnny Manziel will become a magician in the NFL because he will make the GM that drafts him disappear". It's that bad.
    LOL. Thats hilarious.

LOL. Thats hilarious.
    I thought it was funny as well. But, in all seriousness, Manziel does have similar ability to Russell Wilson & if he works as hard as Wilson has in the NFL, then the team that drafts Johnny Football could be getting the last laugh.

This is where I get concerned with drafting WR's at #1. The injuries. This draft class seems to be really thick with good recievers, though, so waiting until the later rounds to draft WR and going after a really good pass rusher (DE or LB) with the #1 is really not a bad idea.

The defensive issues we've had are just not something that we can fix in this draft. Think it's more coaching related than anything, mainly because they ALL looked bad. They also looked much better when the pass rush was working really well, and it would be doable this year to add another pass rusher (Tuitt or Hagelmann) as opposed to trying to draft a bunch of cb's/safeties (also very injury prone).

... if he works as hard as Wilson has in the NFL ...
    There is the crux of the issue. Everyone thinks he will not put in the effort and doesnt have the brain to be an NFL QB. I dont follow college too closely, and I dont know the guy at all, so I dont have an opinion either way. Only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    There is no question that the Chiefs could use a good WR and need to replace some players on the O-line. That said, I agree with Dempsy that our first priority should be defense.

Last year when our defense was good (before the bye) the offense found a way to do just enough to win the games. When our offense was good (after the bye), no matter how much they scored, we usually lost.

There is no question that a strong pass rush helps the secondary cover better. Our DBs fell apart after Houston and Hali got hurt and we couldn't pressure the QB. The same thing happened in Chicago when they suffered injuries to their D-line and LBs. A strong pass rush forces QBs to get rid of the ball faster and make bad decisions. It also means that receivers have less time to get open and DBs don't have to cover them for as long or as far down the field.

We need help on both sides of the ball, but we win with defense.
    And that's why everyone is calling for Sutton's head. Dude cannot make adjustments and we get steamrolled every time things get bad

Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    And that's why everyone is calling for Sutton's head. Dude cannot make adjustments and we get steamrolled every time things get bad
    Who is calling for Sutton's head? I hardly believe it is EVERYONE or he would already be gone. Heck for most of the season he was being praised for bringing an attacking style defense and no one was complaining when we were on track to beat the Sack Record.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Who is calling for Sutton's head? I hardly believe it is EVERYONE or he would already be gone. Heck for most of the season he was being praised for bringing an attacking style defense and no one was complaining when we were on track to beat the Sack Record.
    The Chiefs first half performance last season was inflated by playing a lot of bad teams. Then the schedule and some injuries caught up to them. The pass rush eroded. Flowers played hurt. Cooper hit the rookie wall. KLew was exposed, badly.

I'm not calling for Shallow Hal's head -- yet. But I have my finger on the trigger. I'd have Wade Phillips on speed dial. You want an attacking, gap penetrating 3-4? There's none better.
    Last edited by Mongo; 03-25-2014 at 10:52 AM.
    ...in my opinion

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast