Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fisher Will Play Left Tackle Next Season

Default Fisher Will Play Left Tackle Next Season

Just as predicted.

"Right now I'm going to move him to the left side," Reid said, according to Van Bibber. "That's where he played in college. Although Donald Stephenson played there for me, I know that he can do that too. But I think I'll start off with Eric at the left and keep Donald at the right. "
    Full Story
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    I thought the same. My thinking was that Miami was willing to give a 3rd rounder in 2013 or 2014, then TAKE IT. It was going to be a higher pick than the compensatory pick that they'll likely get in 2015, so what was the point in delaying the inevitable?

Well, one would believe that Reid's announcing that Fisher is moving to LT would indicate that Fisher is working very hard to get ready for 2014.
    Maybe the better question is, if Miami knew what was going on in their locker room, would they have sacrificed a 2nd rounder then?

Fisher's had a lot more experience playing LT than RT. There's still some work to be done on the O-line, if Allen steps up it'd really help, same for Kush.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Maybe the better question is, if Miami knew what was going on in their locker room, would they have sacrificed a 2nd rounder then?

Fisher's had a lot more experience playing LT than RT. There's still some work to be done on the O-line, if Allen steps up it'd really help, same for Kush.
    I suppose that the Fish are patting themselves on the back by keeping their 2nd rounder, but it's a colossal reach to pay a middle-of-the-pack LT with durability concerns 25 mill in guaranteed money that will turn 30 this year & could be on a fast-track decline. Albert is NOT Willie Roaf and the Fins will learn soon enough they could have easily just drafted his equal & thought they had with Jonathan Martin & that was probably why they passed on Lane Johnson after they traded up, but that didn't pan out at all. My guess is that Albert won't play the entire length of that 5-yr contract Miami gave him and I'm glad the Chiefs didn't cave in.

The still need a guy to plug the RG spot, but the word out of Chiefs camp is they really like Rishaw Johnson after his week 17 showing in SD and I also thought he looked excellent. So I don't believe the Chiefs will spend their top draft pick on an O-Lineman. I'm hoping for a WR or a 3-4 DE that can attack the QB with the top draft pick & a trade-down should not surprise anybody.

I want the best safety in the draft, whoever that is.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    I want the best safety in the draft, whoever that is.
    Highly doubtful that Dorsey/Reid will draft a Safety in round 1, if history is any precedent. Neither of this years top 2 Safeties are as good as last years top 2 prospects Kenny Varraco and Eric Reid. Pryor is an in the box SS which the Chiefs already have & Clinton-Dix is another Alabama DB bust waiting to happen.

They can look for Safeties in later rounds.

I am very worried about it. While others look for excuses blaming his mistakes last year for being out of postion last year. I don't think he physically can hold his ground at LT. Hopefully he has developed a BUNCH over the off season and does not look smaller than the Line Backers he is blocking.

Again, if he was not drafted #1 overall, you wouldn't see this move as Donald Stephenson is the best candidate for this position, THIS YEAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    I am very worried about it. While others look for excuses blaming his mistakes last year for being out of postion last year. I don't think he physically can hold his ground at LT. Hopefully he has developed a BUNCH over the off season and does not look smaller than the Line Backers he is blocking.

Again, if he was not drafted #1 overall, you wouldn't see this move as Donald Stephenson is the best candidate for this position, THIS YEAR.
    Reasons are not the same as excuses,

So you don't think it makes sense to play a left tackle, who you drafted specifically to replace Brandon Albert at left tackle, at left tackle? Okay ...

It's a no-lose situation. As I have said before, you try him out at left tackle and if he struggles there, you move him back to right tackle and leave Stephenson at left tackle. If Fisher works out at LT (as most believe he will) you have made the o-line better. If he doesn't, then it is no worse than it was at the end of last year.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Nothing to worry about:

1- Dude was a LT all his life, not a mirror of it at RT. It's no excuse, it's a fact.

2- The Chiefs are aware of his 'physical' shortcomings, as Dorsey has plainly indicated that. I'm sure they won't leave their top-of-the-draft investment to sit and atrophy. I am comfortable that the Chiefs will see to it that he is more muscle bound next season.

The thing you're missing with last years struggles is the rookie factor. Not only was he playing out of position he was a rookie playing out of position. That's just not a good combo. Rookies in the NFL with a few exceptions struggle. Add the position change to that and do you really expect him to come in and light the world on fire? I said yesterday IMO the Chiefs are setting him up to fail. IMO they have done that since they drafted him. They are putting a lot on his plate. They are walking the line of it being to much. Now he might just prove me wrong on that but it's the worry I have. I just don't think they have handled him the best.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    The thing you're missing with last years struggles is the rookie factor. Not only was he playing out of position he was a rookie playing out of position.
    And then there's the 'sophomore jinx' to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Reasons are not the same as excuses,

So you don't think it makes sense to play a left tackle, who you drafted specifically to replace Brandon Albert at left tackle, at left tackle? Okay ...

It's a no-lose situation. As I have said before, you try him out at left tackle and if he struggles there, you move him back to right tackle and leave Stephenson at left tackle. If Fisher works out at LT (as most believe he will) you have made the o-line better. If he doesn't, then it is no worse than it was at the end of last year.
    First You are reasons as excuses to justify FACTUAL evidence that he struggled at RT. When my argument is not about position, but FACT he failed to perfom as a #1 talent physically on the field. Regardless of him being a RT or LT, it does not matter he was beat physically by the guy lining up in front of him and moving him to LT where he is expected to physically perfom better is a very big concern for me. He also seemed to get hurt easily, which I believe is directly related to him being physically overwhelmed.

Second, I don't recall the Chiefs ever saying they specifically drafted him to play LT. It is your assumptions that he was drafted to play LT, otherwise they would have moved Albert to RT and played Fisher at LT, or moved Fisher to LT to play when Albert got hurt, but they were not comfortable doing that for FACTUAL reasons that he was struggling at RT when they had a better option in Stephenson. Had the season not meant anything, I believe they would have made that change to Fisher at LT to get him some work. The Chiefs took who they thought was the best player on the board given the lack of #1 over all talent in last years draft and up until the week of the draft many speculated the Chiefs were going with Dion Jordan as the best player available VS need at tackle.

But to answer you questin, YES I think it makes sense to move him to LT since he was drafted #1 over all and that should warrant a LT vs RT, but if you remove that Draft status from his name based on his actual performance last year, I don't think it makes any sense at all and that is what really bothers me. I trully believe having Stephenson at LT and Fisher at RT makes this offensive line better.

The Many who think he will succeed, are Hopeful people. I have never heard anyone actually break down Fisher's play and tell me why they think he is better suited at LT. NO ONE....

I am not Anti Fisher and I HOPE (because that is all I can expect) with every rose colored glasses ounce of my fandom, That he has developed greatly in the off season to get bigger and stronger and to succeed at LT. But then again, I am a Chiefs fan and I am used to HOPE turning into failure specially when considering the history of #1 draft picks for this franchise the last couple years. I need more than hope to walk into this season thinking everything will be just fine. I am skeptical until proven different but I have to say, I am usually not wrong when I use my own Eye Test judgement. Lets hope he has improved, and I look forward to seeing if he does in training camp this year as I will be there a couple times again this year.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast