Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fisher Will Play Left Tackle Next Season

Default Fisher Will Play Left Tackle Next Season

Just as predicted.

"Right now I'm going to move him to the left side," Reid said, according to Van Bibber. "That's where he played in college. Although Donald Stephenson played there for me, I know that he can do that too. But I think I'll start off with Eric at the left and keep Donald at the right. "
    Full Story
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    So when he gets stronger, his athleticism will somehow magically vanish?
    No but it won't solve that he's being beaten via speed, not power.
    ...in my opinion

I get nervous when proposed OL solutions are late round draftees (Kush) and garbage heap pickups (Rishaw J). This based on their performance in one throwaway game.
    ...in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    That's a matter of technique and footwork. It could be improved on by coaching. All the scouting on this guy indicated that he had at least the basis for this. Extra strength would be just a bonus, because there will be times when he has to stand up to strong DL men.

I get nervous when proposed OL solutions are late round draftees (Kush) and garbage heap pickups (Rishaw J). This based on their performance in one throwaway game.
    Some of the best Chiefs oline are late round picks like Dave Szott and garbage heap pick ups like Brian Waters, Ryan Lilja and Casey Wiegmann. Those type of players tend to have better work ethics as they have to fight harder for their position. So while they played well in one game, it was not a throw away game in regards to their competition. San Diego had to win that game to get in the playoffs so their performance in the game was eye opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    He needs to be get bigger and still be athletic. That is why the LT is the most importand and highest position on the line. Specially when Justin Houston looked bigger than him and now he will be lining up against guys like Tamba who has speed and a strong push. Do you really want your LT to be smaller than the guys he is supposed to be blocking protecting your QB's blind side. Willie Roaf used to work out at my gym. The guy looked like he could barely walk, yet he was so big and strong speed rushers had a hard time getting around him and his reach. That is where Fisher failed.
    "but...but....he stopped JJ watt and Von Miller"

I agree with everything you've been saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Some of the best Chiefs oline are late round picks like Dave Szott and garbage heap pick ups like Brian Waters, Ryan Lilja and Casey Wiegmann. Those type of players tend to have better work ethics as they have to fight harder for their position. So while they played well in one game, it was not a throw away game in regards to their competition. San Diego had to win that game to get in the playoffs so their performance in the game was eye opening.
    I hear you. Er, um, read you. For every late round gem there are thousands who do not make it. And one game does not a career make.

The Chiefs will be pinning their hopes on unknowns at 2 interior OL positions. I'm sure the draft will add someone, but still, it doesn't make me comfortable.
    ...in my opinion

Fisher's wasn't beaten by speed rushes exclusively. Sometimes it was the inside charge. It's not as though he got beat by every speed rush thrown at him as more often than not he handled them. I watched him closely via NFL Game Rewind. Sure he had some struggles, but overall, I saw enough to convince me that he should got a shot at his natural position at LT, contrary to what the worrywarts are saying, because he faced a slew of good opponents all year and things could have a whole lot worse. Plus, his struggles he had came mostly in the first half of the season and over the 2nd half he improved.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Fisher's wasn't beaten by speed rushes exclusively. Sometimes it was the inside charge. It's not as though he got beat by every speed rush thrown at him as more often than not he handled them. I watched him closely via NFL Game Rewind. Sure he had some struggles, but overall, I saw enough to convince me that he should got a shot at his natural position at LT, contrary to what the worrywarts are saying, because he faced a slew of good opponents all year and things could have a whole lot worse. Plus, his struggles he had came mostly in the first half of the season and over the 2nd half he improved.
    I'm less worried about him than the interior OL. I thought he got better as the season went on.
    ...in my opinion

I'm less worried about him than the interior OL. I thought he got better as the season went on.
    Agreed. More concerned with the Guards than the T's at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Agreed. More concerned with the Guards than the T's at this point.
    I'll 2nd that. Regardless of which side Stephenson and Fisher line up on, the Chiefs have a pair of young, ascending, athletic young Tackles that we haven't seen on this team in forever. The biggest question IS the Guards -- can Allen step up and who's going to be the RG on opening day?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast