Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We don't need Desean Jackson

Default We don't need Desean Jackson

Would you rather us:
    A: restructure contracts to create cap room to sign DeSean Jackson. Guaranteeing the inability to sign a contract extension for Alex Smith and making him a free agent in 12 months.
    Or
    B: use the remaining cap room to extend Alex's contract so that we didn't waste two 2nd rd picks by trading for him. Then draft a young wr that can fill the hole and pay him rookie wages.

The choice seems obvious to me. Andy Reid would love to have Desean Jackson. We'd all love to have Desean Jackson in the same offense as Jamaal Charles and Dwayne Bowe if he's willing to play on a 1 yr deal for $3-4mm....but he won't. He wants buku bucks on a multi year deal. We will be in cap hell if we make this deal.

We didn't lose games last year because we couldn't score. We scored 40+ points in the playoffs and lost. We lost games because of our inability to stop any QB that wasn't a 2nd or 3rd stringer. Period. End. Of. Story. I dare you to list the names of the qb's we beat, and also list the qb's we lost to. Our needs will become GLARING.
    You want to blow up the cap, do it on a cb, free safety, and an ilb. That's what we need to beat Peyton Manning, not Desean Jackson. Did anyone else watch the Super Bowl?

could we just sign Jackson's speed, give it to Bowe?

Quote Originally Posted by rodu View Post
    could we just sign Jackson's speed, give it to Bowe?
    That would be ideal. Dwayne Bowe's deal killed us.

Well, I am not gonna push for D-Jax, but our passing game had been a big cause for concern for more than half the year. Granted, it was all uphill from there. But if there is a way to fit a Desean Jackson into the mix, I am hardly going to frown.

Are there more important issues with the team? Absolutely. But he would be an improvement to the talent-level.

Why start another thread whens theres already a thread about jackson. Can we combine them?

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Would you rather us:
    A: restructure contracts to create cap room to sign DeSean Jackson. Guaranteeing the inability to sign a contract extension for Alex Smith and making him a free agent in 12 months.
    Or
    B: use the remaining cap room to extend Alex's contract so that we didn't waste two 2nd rd picks by trading for him. Then draft a young wr that can fill the hole and pay him rookie wages.

The choice seems obvious to me. Andy Reid would love to have Desean Jackson. We'd all love to have Desean Jackson in the same offense as Jamaal Charles and Dwayne Bowe if he's willing to play on a 1 yr deal for $3-4mm....but he won't. He wants buku bucks on a multi year deal. We will be in cap hell if we make this deal.

We didn't lose games last year because we couldn't score. We scored 40+ points in the playoffs and lost. We lost games because of our inability to stop any QB that wasn't a 2nd or 3rd stringer. Period. End. Of. Story. I dare you to list the names of the qb's we beat, and also list the qb's we lost to. Our needs will become GLARING.
    You want to blow up the cap, do it on a cb, free safety, and an ilb. That's what we need to beat Peyton Manning, not Desean Jackson. Did anyone else watch the Super Bowl?
    That poses an interesting scenario. IMO, if that's what it boils down to, you keep the QB. Period. Especially in a year when there's great talent to be had at WR in the draft.

We shouldn't toss the idea of D-Jax out the door, though. He's a big enough threat that it'd force other AFC West teams to spend $$'s or draft picks on defensive players in the hopes of countering him. If he can be signed without forfeiting our current QB's future, it's worth a look. Guess it'll boil down to how negoitable D-Jax gets hoping to play for Andy Reid.

As far as the secondary is concerned...I'd say answer that in next year's draft, when it's likely we'll get 3 or 4 compensatory extra picks that can't be traded. The front office could entirely change the secondary with that draft! If we sign D-Jax, it'd free some picks this year to go to pass rush/O-line. Dropped passes cost us a lot in yardage, first downs & points. Not one WR we have is considered much of a threat, outside of (maybe) Bowe.

I'm not suggesting that WR isn't a position of need. It's one of many needs, just not the largest need in my opinion. There will be several good WR options available when we pick in the 1st round and they will be much cheaper that Desean Jackson. If you're gonna blow the bank in free agency, do it on someone that can improve our secondary. They were routinely abused by every decent QB we faced. We even made some of the bad ones look decent.

I'm not suggesting that WR isn't a position of need. It's one of many needs, just not the largest need in my opinion. There will be several good WR options available when we pick in the 1st round and they will be much cheaper that Desean Jackson. If you're gonna blow the bank in free agency, do it on someone that can improve our secondary. They were routinely abused by every decent QB we faced. We even made some of the bad ones look decent.
    The secondary was only part of the pass-defense problem against Rivers, Luck, and Horsehead Manning. The other part of the problem was not getting enough pressure on these guys -- hence, why I keep saying the need for a 3-4 DE that can attack the QB and considering drafting either Hageman or Tuitt ( and no, Bailey, Catapano, Walker, DeVito do not have the potential to be beasts like Hageman and Tuitt do).

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    The secondary was only part of the pass-defense problem against Rivers, Luck, and Horsehead Manning. The other part of the problem was not getting enough pressure on these guys -- hence, why I keep saying the need for a 3-4 DE that can attack the QB and considering drafting either Hageman or Tuitt ( and no, Bailey, Catapano, Walker, DeVito do not have the potential to be beasts like Hageman and Tuitt do).
    Agree. We need more pass rush to get to the qbs. Thats how seahawks beat manning.

Would definitely agree there. Change does need to happen. The question mark I see is the best way to fix it.

IMO, The problem with the secondary, is it's not just the players roster...It's the coaching, too. It's way too late in the offseason to think about coaching changes, so that'd leave the roster. With only six picks, and little cap space, how much change could we really bring to the secondary this year? If we sign a high dollar CB or S in FA it'd have the same effect on us right now as signing D-jax, concerning Alex Smith's contract "room".

If we held off until next year to fix the secondary, we could wipe the slate clean, start off with a new secondary coach and literally a new backfield roster. Changing one or two players on the secondary, being coached in the same manner as last years' bunch, will not cut it against QB's like Manning, Brees, or Brady.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast