Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Danieal Manning?

Default Danieal Manning?

Free agent S Danieal Manning will visit the Chiefs on Thursday.

That's if he escapes his Wednesday visit with the Bengals without a contract. The Chiefs are in the market for a safety next to Eric Berry after letting Kendrick Lewis walk in free agency to the Texans. Manning will turn 31 in August.

Egads, I'd rather go with draftees than retread bums!
    ...in my opinion

Dont know anything about him. But doesn't sound good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    Egads, I'd rather go with draftees than retread bums!
    We will draft a Safety either way, so that is not an issue.

He is only 31. He played well with Chicago and has good stats with Houston before he got hurt. He generates turnovers and he is an excellent kick-off returner. This is probably Toub's doing. He worked with Manning in Chicago on special teams.

If we draft a stud safety who can start right away, he would provide good depth in case of injury. And if not, he can step in and play safety until we develop a rookie to the point where he is "NFL ready."

As long as he is fully recovered from injury and he doesn't cost too much I would take a chance on him for a one or two year deal.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    We will draft a Safety either way, so that is not an issue.

He is only 31. He played well with Chicago and has good stats with Houston before he got hurt. He generates turnovers and he is an excellent kick-off returner. This is probably Toub's doing. He worked with Manning in Chicago on special teams.

If we draft a stud safety who can start right away, he would provide good depth in case of injury. And if not, he can step in and play safety until we develop a rookie to the point where he is "NFL ready."

As long as he is fully recovered from injury and he doesn't cost too much I would take a chance on him for a one or two year deal.
    Sounds like a replacement for Demps ...

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Sounds like a replacement for Demps ...
    What strikes me, right away, about this story is that The Texans signed K. Lewis to start at FS, and released Manning.... Essentially a chosen upgrade, and we are looking at taking the guy who was found to be beneath K. Lewis........

I mean, there is plenty more to it. But that is the first thing that hits me with this one.

I heard he was cut because he failed his physical. That doesn't mean he won't be ready when the season starts 5 months from now. He has an advantage over Lewis in his ability to return kick offs. Ideally, we draft a player that can start and have Manning for depth. Lewis wasn't good enough to be a starter. I'd be okay with Manning as a back up and on special teams. Plus, we could have Manning intercept a Manning pass. That would be sweet!

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    What strikes me, right away, about this story is that The Texans signed K. Lewis to start at FS, and released Manning.... Essentially a chosen upgrade, and we are looking at taking the guy who was found to be beneath K. Lewis........

I mean, there is plenty more to it. But that is the first thing that hits me with this one.
    I wouldn't go that far. He was due a big pay check. Not even sure if KLew is his replacement. I believe he played SS and HOU just signed Chris Clemons. That is an upgrade -- perhaps one the Chiefs should have pursued.
    ...in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post

Well, Demps wasn't our starting FS. If he is here as a direct replacement for Demps' production, then he would be in a backup/competition role. They may be counting on Sanders to start. Manning is also coming off an injury.

1 year deal. I didn't think he would get more than a year or two. I wonder what the dollar amount is. I also wonder why he didn't at least visit with the Chiefs before making a final decision. This seems to be happening a lot lately ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast