Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Are the 2014 Chiefs better?

Default Are the 2014 Chiefs better?

The free agent offerings have been picked over. There's very little left. Maybe KC could get Sid Rice on a one-year prove it deal.

There's the draft, of course. The draft may add an immediate contributor, but you shouldn't count on it. It unrealistic to expect immediate help coming at one or more positions. Eric Fisher did very little last year.

This team has holes or question marks at LE, LILB, FS, LG, RG, LT, RT and WR2. They've either filled in the gaps with lesser talent (Joe Mays, Vance Walker) or are relying on unproven talent like Eric Fisher, Donald Stephenson, Rishaw Johnson, Sanders Commings and A.J. Jenkins.

Yes, the cap is an issue. But what has John Dorsey done to address it? Why wasn't Eric Berry signed long term, creating cap space? Why are under-performing and overpaid 2013 FA busts Anthony Fasano and Donnie Avery still here?

As it stands now, this team looks significantly worse than last year's team.

John Dorsey, what have you done for me lately? What have you done at all?
    ...in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Why are you telling us this? You should be talking to Dorsey. I'm sure he never even considered doing any of those things. And now it's too late.

If we go 7-9 this year, I'm blaming you! </sarcasm>
    I was asked, smart guy! :P
    ...in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    I wasn't asked, smart guy! :P

Well, quick, "friend" him on facebook!
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

That would be a terrible mistake. He is in the A group of S and deserves to the "highest paid du jour."
    Not really. Without a formidable front 7 playing in front of him, Berry is no different from any of the other DB's that struggled last year with lack of a pass-rush over the 2nd part of the season when it came to pass defense. Berry had his struggles with Colts TE Fleener in the playoff. Sorry, but he's not the be-all, end-all of the Chiefs defensive players & I know I could take Greg Wesley in his prime & replace Berry with Wesley and there would be no drop-off. Wesley snagged 24 picks in his 5 seasons under Dick Vermeil, including 3 off of Tom Brady in one game in 2005. Justin Houston and Dontari Poe are more valuable & if Berry wants top-dollar after his rookie contract expires, then he can look elsewhere outside of KC.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Not really. Without a formidable front 7 playing in front of him, Berry is no different from any of the other DB's that struggled last year with lack of a pass-rush over the 2nd part of the season when it came to pass defense. Berry had his struggles with Colts TE Fleener in the playoff. Sorry, but he's not the be-all, end-all of the Chiefs defensive players & I know I could take Greg Wesley in his prime & replace Berry with Wesley and there would be no drop-off. Wesley snagged 24 picks in his 5 seasons under Dick Vermeil, including 3 off of Tom Brady in one game in 2005. Justin Houston and Dontari Poe are more valuable & if Berry wants top-dollar after his rookie contract expires, then he can look elsewhere outside of KC.
    Any DB will struggle without a pass rush when rules forbid them from even breathing on a WR. That doesn't make Berry less valuable. Greg Wesley? Are you serious? Wesley couldn't do half of the things Berry can. They've chosen to play Berry in the box so he will never have lots of INT.

Years Tackles Sacks Pdef Int
    Wesley 7 497 6 25 29
    71.0 0.9 3.6 4.1
    Polamalu 11 709 12 99 32
    64.5 1.1 9.0 2.9
    Berry 3 252 5.5 29 8
    84.0 1.8 9.7 2.7

Berry compares favorably to Troy Polamalu with better sack and tackle production. Wesley isn't even close in anything, except he had more INT. You can have Wesley. He can't carry Berry's jock.
    ...in my opinion

Any DB will struggle without a pass rush when rules forbid them from even breathing on a WR. That doesn't make Berry less valuable. Greg Wesley? Are you serious? Wesley couldn't do half of the things Berry can. They've chosen to play Berry in the box so he will never have lots of INT.

Years Tackles Sacks Pdef Int
    Wesley 7 497 6 25 29
    71.0 0.9 3.6 4.1
    Polamalu 11 709 12 99 32
    64.5 1.1 9.0 2.9
    Berry 3 252 5.5 29 8
    84.0 1.8 9.7 2.7

Berry compares favorably to Troy Polamalu with better sack and tackle production. Wesley isn't even close in anything, except he had more INT. You can have Wesley. He can't carry Berry's jock.
    LOL, you've just exposed yourself as being hero-worshiping fool. Wesley could do everything that Berry can do & you didn't name one single thing that Berry could do that Wesley couldn't. And where are you getting your 'passes defended' reference from regarding Wesley and how is it possible for him to have more interceptions than passes defended? I looked pro football reference and didn't see any stats regarding pass defenses, and I don't believe the ones at NFL.com are accurate. And contrary to your belief, Wesley could hold Berry's jock and then some. And my analysis still stands, that Wesley in his prime could replace Berry with no noticeable dropoff.

Berry has been kept in the box primarily because he struggles in pass coverage & struggled just all the other DB's did in the 2nd half of the season. He's not irreplaceable & not as important as guys like Alex Smith, Dontari Poe, and Justin Houston and like it or not, those three guys are higher priority to get long-term deals done with.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 04-03-2014 at 08:27 PM.

Yup. It's a simple fact of "salary cap football" that you can't keep every good player you have. GMs are constantly being forced to play the game of "eenie, meenie, miney, mo". Ultimately, there are very few players we can't afford to let walk if they are looking for a blockbuster retirement contract. I hate it, but it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Andy has always been a system guy feeling that they could find another younger guy and the system made them better. I can't tell you how many guys left Philly on bigger contracts, failed with their new team, only to return to Philly once they realized the Grass was not greener.
    I believe that is also how Green Bay worked while Dorsey was there. Reid was doing this up until the last couple of years when I think he felt too much pressure to produce and starting signing the "dream team."

In answer of the thread question. Yes we will be a better team. Will we win more games, time will tell the story to come.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    LOL, you've just exposed yourself as being hero-worshiping fool. Wesley could do everything that Berry can do & you didn't name one single thing that Berry could do that Wesley couldn't. And where are you getting your 'passes defended' reference from regarding Wesley and how is it possible for him to have more interceptions than passes defended? I looked pro football reference and didn't see any stats regarding pass defenses, and I don't believe the ones at NFL.com are accurate. And contrary to your belief, Wesley could hold Berry's jock and then some. And my analysis still stands, that Wesley in his prime could replace Berry with no noticeable dropoff.

Berry has been kept in the box primarily because he struggles in pass coverage & struggled just all the other DB's did in the 2nd half of the season. He's not irreplaceable & not as important as guys like Alex Smith, Dontari Poe, and Justin Houston and like it or not, those three guys are higher priority to get long-term deals done with.
    Why do you have to resort to insulting someone who dares question your opinion? It weakens your credibility and your argument. It's a shame. Your posts are intelligent otherwise, but engaging you in debate ends up not being worth the aggravation.

If I want aggravation, I'll talk to my wife. This is supposed to be fun.
    ...in my opinion

Hold up a sec, Mongo. Berry HAS been over hyped. Outside of his rookie season, can't remember a game where Berry's play was a game changer. Berry's far from bad, but if he wants to live up to press & FF rankings he's got to come through on a clutch INT in a game that matters. What Brd is pointing out, is that while Wesley wasn't the "popular kid in school" he was basically getting the same job accomplished. If Berry wants to win over everyone in the room, he's going to have to earn it.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast