Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What positions do the Chiefs really have to address this year?

Talking What positions do the Chiefs really have to address this year?

Hey Chiefs Crowd,

The Chiefs have been "slow" to get things done this offseason. Most fans are upset about the lack of moves that Kansas City has made after going 11-5 last season. So, Chiefs fans, what positions do you all think the team HAS to address now? And what do you think can wait till next year or after?

Here's my take:
    I think the key positions of need are Middle Linebacker, Outside Linebacker, Offensive Guard, Offensive Tackle, Free Safety, and Defensive End.

Now, Outside Linebacker, Offensive Guard, Defensive End, and Defensive End are positions that mostly need depth. We aren't looking for anyone to replace Hali or Houston yet, but we need to build a rotation due to the fact that Hali is aging. I think that Middle Linebacker and Free Safety are the positions where we need to look to find potential starters.

My main reasons for the two positions that I selected are that, though we added Joe Mays, he never has been a true starter. He has been a good special teams player and a very average starter when he had the opportunity. Husain Abdullah (whom I really like) is returning, but he, like Joe Mays, has been solid at times, but we never know what he really would be as a full time starter.

Here's a quick view of my expected starting lineup, thus far into the offseason:
    QB - Alex Smith
    RB - Jamaal Charles
    FB - Anthony Sherman
    WR - Dwayne Bowe
    WR - AJ Jenkins
    TE - Anthony Fasano
    LT - Eric Fisher
    LG - Jeff Allen
    C - Rodney Hudson
    RG - Rishaw Johnson
    RT - Donald Stephenson

LE - Mike DeVito
    RE - Vance Walker (FA)
    NT - Dontari Poe
    LOLB - Tamba Hali
    ROLB - Justin Houston
    LILB - Derrick Johnson
    RILB - James Michael - Johnson
    CB - Sean Smith
    CB - Brandon Flowers
    FS - Husain Abdullah
    SS - Eric Berry

What do you guys think about these thoughts???

Quote Originally Posted by keatonhenry View Post
    AJ Jenkins is highly favored in the Chiefs organization. He will be the #2 wide receiver, unless one is drafted in the first round.
    We have starters at guard, corner and nickel back. (Rishaw Johnson at RG, Smith & Flowers at CB, and Chris Owens at Nickelback)
    Rishaw Johnson? You gotta be kidding me. Put 2 OG on the wish list.
    ...in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    Rishaw Johnson? You gotta be kidding me. Put 2 OG on the wish list.
    No, he's not kidding. I just watched Johnson closely in the season final against SD via NFL Game Rewind and he played very well ( better than Asamoah ever did, who got flatbacked more than any Guard I've ever seen ). And it's not etched in stone that if the Chiefs take a Guard with their top draft pick, that said player is going to beat out Johnson for the RG position.

Immediate needs: LG, RG, WR2/1, FS, MLB, RB2
    Long term: WR3, QB2, ROLB, LE, RE, TE2

Neither OG position is set with a known, reliable commodity. There is no depth at any position on the OL. Dwayne Bowe needs a compliment/replacement. If he doesn’t improve on 2013 he will surely get cut.

I just can’t believe that either Husain Abdullah and unproven Sander Commings are the answer at FS. Hopefully Commings surprises me. Few late round draftees do. Joe Mays or the Johnson boys, J.M. and Nico are NFL starting caliber options. Maybe Nico steps up. I won’t hold my breath.

RB2 is an immediate need because of uncertainty around Kniles Davis to start the season. As of now Joe McKnight looks to be RB2 opening day. Not good. Am I forgetting someone?

Long term I put WR3 because I have no faith that AJ Jenkins is the answer at any key WR position. Same with Donnie Avery and Junior Hemingway. Avery is gone next year at the latest.

I envision Chase Daniel being a cap casualty next year as I do Anthony Fasano. I like Sean McGrath but don’t view him as a serious weapon, either. Not sure about Tyler Bray.

Mike Devito is getting old and he offers no pass rush anyway. I don’t see Vance Walker as a long term solution at LE. He doesn’t have the height teams want in that position. Allen Bailey needs to step up. Odds are against Mike Catapano. Both DE positions need help long term. I agree with others who’ve said drafting Stephen Tuitt wouldn’t be a bad idea.

Tamba Hali is likely to be on his last year as a Chief, sadly. Good soldier, great personal story. They may restructure his deal, but at 31 the end is near.
    Last edited by Mongo; 04-08-2014 at 01:14 PM.
    ...in my opinion

I do agree the offense is better than most think it is. My only beef with it was the promotion of AJ. No way he is a starter. I would rather see Jr. Hemmingway step up. So far he kind of reminds me of Joe Horn when he was in KC, prior to him exploding in New Orleans. However, I am still concerned with the offensive line. Not a huge fan of Fisher at the moment and not sure about Guard.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    No, he's not kidding. I just watched Johnson closely in the season final against SD via NFL Game Rewind and he played very well ( better than Asamoah ever did, who got flatbacked more than any Guard I've ever seen ). And it's not etched in stone that if the Chiefs take a Guard with their top draft pick, that said player is going to beat out Johnson for the RG position.
    I can't pin my hopes on one game. I won't say RJ's not the answer. I can't bank on it. Better to have plan B ready.

Of the 8 OL KC has under contract few warrant a grade of a C. None are better than that.
    ...in my opinion

I can't pin my hopes on one game. I won't say RJ's not the answer. I can't bank on it. Better to have plan B ready.

Of the 8 OL KC has under contract few warrant a grade of a C. None are better than that.
    Neither were any of the guys that walked via FA, except maybe Schwartz.

LT Eric Fisher C-
    LG Jeff Allen F
    C Rodney Hudson C-
    RG Rishaw Johnson I
    RT Donald Stephenson C-
    OL Jeff Linkenbach F
    C Eric Kush I
    OL Colin Kelly I

Formula for disaster. PS: In my mind an Incomplete (I) is an F until proven otherwise.
    ...in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Neither were any of the guys that walked via FA, except maybe Schwartz.
    That doesn't change the fact the unit is need of talent.
    ...in my opinion

LT Eric Fisher C-
    LG Jeff Allen F
    C Rodney Hudson C-
    RG Rishaw Johnson I
    RT Donald Stephenson C-
    OL Jeff Linkenbach F
    C Eric Kush I
    OL Colin Kelly I

Formula for disaster. PS: In my mind an Incomplete (I) is an F until proven otherwise.
    That's still better than what they had in 2009 and 2010 and 2011. And you are basing that off of last season. 2014 is a different entity, and at least this really is a young developing O-Line that does have a chance to get better.

If these rating are coming from PFF, then you're tapping into the wrong source. Their O-Line ratings are worthless. They never make mention of the series of opponents these guys play against.

That doesn't change the fact the unit is need of talent.
    I didn't say that there wasn't room for improvement or that they shouldn't try to add more talent to this unit. But, it may not come this off-season, but rather next off-season with more cap space and more draft picks.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 04-08-2014 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by keatonhenry View Post
    Donnie Avery's contract is actually worse for us than Jenkins' is. A.J. has never really been given much of a shot to play, he actually fits Reid's offense way better than Baldwin would have and Jenkins began to see the field more the last five or so games of the season.

The defense got worse as the season went on, so I think improving the defense is much more important at this point. The offense improved as the season went on, so I think the offense itself will be fine.
    That's exactly why I hope that Jenkins becomes our speedy WR. Avery had his chances and most of them ended with drops. It wasn't until halfway through the season that he started to consistently catch the ball, and then he'd start making drops again, in big games. Towards the end of the season we started getting some use out of Jenkins.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast