Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What positions do the Chiefs really have to address this year?

Talking What positions do the Chiefs really have to address this year?

Hey Chiefs Crowd,

The Chiefs have been "slow" to get things done this offseason. Most fans are upset about the lack of moves that Kansas City has made after going 11-5 last season. So, Chiefs fans, what positions do you all think the team HAS to address now? And what do you think can wait till next year or after?

Here's my take:
    I think the key positions of need are Middle Linebacker, Outside Linebacker, Offensive Guard, Offensive Tackle, Free Safety, and Defensive End.

Now, Outside Linebacker, Offensive Guard, Defensive End, and Defensive End are positions that mostly need depth. We aren't looking for anyone to replace Hali or Houston yet, but we need to build a rotation due to the fact that Hali is aging. I think that Middle Linebacker and Free Safety are the positions where we need to look to find potential starters.

My main reasons for the two positions that I selected are that, though we added Joe Mays, he never has been a true starter. He has been a good special teams player and a very average starter when he had the opportunity. Husain Abdullah (whom I really like) is returning, but he, like Joe Mays, has been solid at times, but we never know what he really would be as a full time starter.

Here's a quick view of my expected starting lineup, thus far into the offseason:
    QB - Alex Smith
    RB - Jamaal Charles
    FB - Anthony Sherman
    WR - Dwayne Bowe
    WR - AJ Jenkins
    TE - Anthony Fasano
    LT - Eric Fisher
    LG - Jeff Allen
    C - Rodney Hudson
    RG - Rishaw Johnson
    RT - Donald Stephenson

LE - Mike DeVito
    RE - Vance Walker (FA)
    NT - Dontari Poe
    LOLB - Tamba Hali
    ROLB - Justin Houston
    LILB - Derrick Johnson
    RILB - James Michael - Johnson
    CB - Sean Smith
    CB - Brandon Flowers
    FS - Husain Abdullah
    SS - Eric Berry

What do you guys think about these thoughts???

I'm inclined to believe the offense's "improvement" was an aberration.

The offense gets too much credit and not enough blame for the playoffs. A lot of the first half points were setup by turnovers created by the defense. In the second half, as the defense struggled to hold on, the offense produced nothing.

This offense is not okay. It's not getting better and will be exposed when going against top shelf defenses like those in the NFCW.

The reason everyone in the world earmarks a WR to the Chiefs is because the Chiefs are awful at the position.
    ...in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    I'm inclined to believe the offense's "improvement" was an aberration.

The offense gets too much credit and not enough blame for the playoffs. A lot of the first half points were setup by turnovers created by the defense. In the second half, as the defense struggled to hold on, the offense produced nothing.

This offense is not okay. It's not getting better and will be exposed when going against top shelf defenses like those in the NFCW.

The reason everyone in the world earmarks a WR to the Chiefs is because the Chiefs are awful at the position.
    The offense was MUCH imporved the last month of the season to deny that is just being silly.

The playoff game did the D give them some short fields yep. But the offense still has to get in the endzone. People who use this bs line to try to whine about the offense forget this team in 2012 had 1st and goal at the 1 yard line and found a way to it up.

Bottom line the offense scored enough points that even in todays NFL wins over 99% of the time. There are 256 games in a year last year only 2 games were lost by a team who scored as many points as the Chiefs did that is good for a .008%. Yep the offense was the letdown oh and by the way the defense also didn't lose it's best player less the 5 minutes in the game
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    KC has no choice but to give him a try. I understand that we don't know, for certain, what KC has in Jenkins. I'm pretty confident he is a WR4 at best. Regardless of my opinion, what do you think is most likely:

A. A.J. Jenkins was overlooked in SF and is on the verge of breaking out.
    B. A.J. Jenkins was a bust in SF. He was traded for another bust at WR so it wasn't a matter of WR overload. It was because he wasn't good enough. They only reason he looks remotely competent in KC is the lack of quality alternatives at WR.

Sorry, but law of averages leans towards B. Let's be realistic.
    C. Regardless of whether he was a bust or not in SF, he's a Chief now. Far as I'm concerned after all the passes dropped by the other WR's, and given the fact that this years draft class has a lot of good WR's in it, not sure there's a safe spot for anyone on the roster. That includes Jenkins, but IMHO Hemmingway and Jenkins both should get a better look in preseason. It's not like we're in the middle of the season.

Granted, I hear & understand where people are coming from when they say D, but also take into account all the criticism this offense had during the first half of the season. People were complaining about A.Smith being a dink and dunk qb, it was a dink and dink Reid offense, the D was responsible for all the success etc etc. Sat there and watched pass after pass being dropped after hitting the recievers in the numbers or hands. At one point KC was #4 in dropped passes. Doesn't anybody understand that in those dropped passes were a lot of possible 1st downs that could've helped the D?

To me, with this draft it makes perfect sense to add a WR. Doesn't have to be in round one. There still will be some WR talent there with this class. So that frees up the #1 pick to go after a monster DE, which with any good luck there will still be some around at #23.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    The offense was MUCH imporved the last month of the season to deny that is just being silly.

The playoff game did the D give them some short fields yep. But the offense still has to get in the endzone. People who use this bs line to try to whine about the offense forget this team in 2012 had 1st and goal at the 1 yard line and found a way to it up.

Bottom line the offense scored enough points that even in todays NFL wins over 99% of the time. There are 256 games in a year last year only 2 games were lost by a team who scored as many points as the Chiefs did that is good for a .008%. Yep the offense was the letdown oh and by the way the defense also didn't lose it's best player less the 5 minutes in the game
    Yeah.... I am with Matt here Mongo.

Not that the offense is 'fine, no need to worry'. But you have some major league rationalizing to do to come away focusing on the offense as the problem.

And that playoff game is not something that fits your case. The defense allowed six touchdowns, including a 64 yard, over the top pass, with a six point lead, and 1:15 seconds left to defend.......

That is a colossal, front-to-back, top-to-bottom, inside-and-out failure of the defense.

Whereas the offense produced 513 yards of offensive production in a single game. And they only turned the ball over one time.

That is a Grade A performance.

The defense earned a clear-cut F. They did manage a couple of turnovers. But not enough to counter the five second half TDs they allowed.

You seem to be pointing at the offense for not getting the + on that 'A'.... I mean, no.... They did not do the defense's job of keeping the opponent from scoring 35 points in the second half. And they had a chance at the end but came up short. But give me that offensive performance and I win 19 out of 20 games.

Likewise, if you give me that defensive performance, I will lose 19 out of twenty games.

Having said that... I agree that the offense is far from a finished product. I need them to perform over 16-20 games, not just one. And they were pretty ugly for the first half of 2013. The improvement in the second half is undeniable. But, that it has problems is just as undeniable.

And the defense, having looked terrible throughout the second half of the season, looked exceptional through the first half. So we have a half of a season of problematic offense, and a half of a season of problematic defense.

What tips the scale, quite dramatically for me, toward the needs on defense, is the trends of each. The offense started slow, and got it together as the season progressed. Whereas the defense started strong, but seemed to be exposed as the season progressed. And that playoff game highlighted those trends exactly.

Going from bad to good instills confidence. And going from good to bad causes concern.

My concern is with what happened to the defense. And, while it seems to get brushed over pretty well, I think the biggest part of it was Justin Houston's absence. But I HAVE TO put the defense at the forefront of our list of needs. I do not require the greatest defense, but I do require better than what we saw the last few games we played. Much better.

The offense only put up 13 points in the second half in the playoff game (6 points in like 29 minutes)? I saw that as the offense went back to playing as they did in the first half of the season.

Defense went to ****>offense not producing in the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    That's exactly why I hope that Jenkins becomes our speedy WR. Avery had his chances and most of them ended with drops. It wasn't until halfway through the season that he started to consistently catch the ball, and then he'd start making drops again, in big games. Towards the end of the season we started getting some use out of Jenkins.
    Guys, before the season started last year, Jenkins was slated to be a starter for San Francisco but as pre-season unfolded he was bounced to the bubble, but only kep due to cap size. He was given a fair shot, he has failed to take advantage. He has been given his fair chances to make plays for the Chiefs as well and failed to get open or hold on to the ball. He did make one crucial catch for us in the play off game. I remember being shocked that he held on to it. They did start targeting him after that so maybe that helped his chances but as fast as he is supposed to be, he does not get any separation.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Guys, before the season started last year, Jenkins was slated to be a starter for San Francisco but as pre-season unfolded he was bounced to the bubble, but only kep due to cap size. He was given a fair shot, he has failed to take advantage. He has been given his fair chances to make plays for the Chiefs as well and failed to get open or hold on to the ball. He did make one crucial catch for us in the play off game. I remember being shocked that he held on to it. They did start targeting him after that so maybe that helped his chances but as fast as he is supposed to be, he does not get any separation.

and it not like SF had the cream of the crop WR core. Before baldwin showed up it was crabtree and vernon and Jenkins couldn't make a name for himself on that roster, then, Baldwin showed up crabtree got hurt and he couldn't do it again.

Here is some fact for you all. Alex Smiths QB rating improved the first half of the season was around 80. The last half he was 101. yet the team still only won two games because they were playing tougher teams and the defense failed. The offense was still getting used to the system, and to the new players. Once they all got comfortable and knew what they had the offense improved as the year went on. With a full season under the belt and an understanding of the system, the team has a solid ground to start working on this year in camp. Only new players will need to get caught up to how the Chiefs want to run things.

Look, I don't know how many teams completely change their coaches, their QB and style of offense and turn things around immediately. Even Peyton in Denver took some time to ge their offense rolling but finished the season very strong. Year two they came out on fire. Case in point, look at the Trent Green era. He comes in with a new team, a new system and the first year he is nicknamed TrInt and no one knew who Priest Holmes was but as that first season took place the offense got better. By the next year it was a top 5 offense and then the #1 offense.

The signs are there that this offense is poised to be a strenght next year. I am not as worried about the offense. The defense though reminded me a bunch of Greg Robinson trying to force a square peg in a round hole.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Yeah.... I am with Matt here Mongo.

Not that the offense is 'fine, no need to worry'. But you have some major league rationalizing to do to come away focusing on the offense as the problem.

And that playoff game is not something that fits your case. The defense allowed six touchdowns, including a 64 yard, over the top pass, with a six point lead, and 1:15 seconds left to defend.......

That is a colossal, front-to-back, top-to-bottom, inside-and-out failure of the defense.

Whereas the offense produced 513 yards of offensive production in a single game. And they only turned the ball over one time.

That is a Grade A performance.

The defense earned a clear-cut F. They did manage a couple of turnovers. But not enough to counter the five second half TDs they allowed.

You seem to be pointing at the offense for not getting the + on that 'A'.... I mean, no.... They did not do the defense's job of keeping the opponent from scoring 35 points in the second half. And they had a chance at the end but came up short. But give me that offensive performance and I win 19 out of 20 games.

Likewise, if you give me that defensive performance, I will lose 19 out of twenty games.

Having said that... I agree that the offense is far from a finished product. I need them to perform over 16-20 games, not just one. And they were pretty ugly for the first half of 2013. The improvement in the second half is undeniable. But, that it has problems is just as undeniable.

And the defense, having looked terrible throughout the second half of the season, looked exceptional through the first half. So we have a half of a season of problematic offense, and a half of a season of problematic defense.

What tips the scale, quite dramatically for me, toward the needs on defense, is the trends of each. The offense started slow, and got it together as the season progressed. Whereas the defense started strong, but seemed to be exposed as the season progressed. And that playoff game highlighted those trends exactly.

Going from bad to good instills confidence. And going from good to bad causes concern.

My concern is with what happened to the defense. And, while it seems to get brushed over pretty well, I think the biggest part of it was Justin Houston's absence. But I HAVE TO put the defense at the forefront of our list of needs. I do not require the greatest defense, but I do require better than what we saw the last few games we played. Much better.
    Someones starting to see the light LOL

Bottom line is one unit played well enough to win 99.2% of the time the other unit played bad enough to win .08% of the time. Offense wasn't perfect to say the least but they did enough to win that game if the defense shows up at all.
    Last edited by chief31; 04-09-2014 at 01:42 PM. Reason: WIN .08% of the time. :)
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Someones starting to see the light LOL

Bottom line is one unit played well enough to win 99.2% of the time the other unit played bad enough to win .08% of the time. Offense wasn't perfect to say the least but they did enough to win that game if the defense shows up at all.
    But heres the thing, both sides of the ball didn't show up the second half.

the strip from alex was the begining of everything falling apart. The defense made some plays (i remember one INT in the second half) but we came away with 6 points after that strip on alex.

Defense and Offense did it's job up until the strip on alex

Defense deserves most of the blame but the offense deserves some as well
    Last edited by doobs_05; 04-09-2014 at 02:08 PM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast