Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: What positions do the Chiefs really have to address this year?

Talking What positions do the Chiefs really have to address this year?

Hey Chiefs Crowd,

The Chiefs have been "slow" to get things done this offseason. Most fans are upset about the lack of moves that Kansas City has made after going 11-5 last season. So, Chiefs fans, what positions do you all think the team HAS to address now? And what do you think can wait till next year or after?

Here's my take:
    I think the key positions of need are Middle Linebacker, Outside Linebacker, Offensive Guard, Offensive Tackle, Free Safety, and Defensive End.

Now, Outside Linebacker, Offensive Guard, Defensive End, and Defensive End are positions that mostly need depth. We aren't looking for anyone to replace Hali or Houston yet, but we need to build a rotation due to the fact that Hali is aging. I think that Middle Linebacker and Free Safety are the positions where we need to look to find potential starters.

My main reasons for the two positions that I selected are that, though we added Joe Mays, he never has been a true starter. He has been a good special teams player and a very average starter when he had the opportunity. Husain Abdullah (whom I really like) is returning, but he, like Joe Mays, has been solid at times, but we never know what he really would be as a full time starter.

Here's a quick view of my expected starting lineup, thus far into the offseason:
    QB - Alex Smith
    RB - Jamaal Charles
    FB - Anthony Sherman
    WR - Dwayne Bowe
    WR - AJ Jenkins
    TE - Anthony Fasano
    LT - Eric Fisher
    LG - Jeff Allen
    C - Rodney Hudson
    RG - Rishaw Johnson
    RT - Donald Stephenson

LE - Mike DeVito
    RE - Vance Walker (FA)
    NT - Dontari Poe
    LOLB - Tamba Hali
    ROLB - Justin Houston
    LILB - Derrick Johnson
    RILB - James Michael - Johnson
    CB - Sean Smith
    CB - Brandon Flowers
    FS - Husain Abdullah
    SS - Eric Berry

What do you guys think about these thoughts???

I totally agree with you on the rest of our comment.
    What's this "OUR" crud ?!? (j/k, think you forget to type a "y")

even with all of those dropped passes, we still managed to put up 27 or more points in 5 of our last 7 games (including the wild card).
    Do agree with a lot of what you just said, but the drops were really bad in the first half of the season, not so much the second. While JC's an incredilble player, part of the reason for him leading in receptions wasn't just in designed playcalling, it was also because the WR's were dropping the ball.

If we'd cut down our drops to a half or even a third, we'd have a different season right there. Does that excuse the defensive meltdown that happened? Certainly not, and change is needed there. My concern is that the WR position will go unchanged, and we'll get the same results.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    What's this "OUR" crud ?!? (j/k, think you forget to type a "y")
    Forgive me for trying to share credit in YOUR comment. "Y" did I do that?

(typo)

Edited to add: PS. I also said "I don't hink that ..." when I meant to say "I don't think that ..."

It's true though. I never hink.
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 04-10-2014 at 03:39 PM.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Forgive me for trying to share credit in YOUR comment. "Y" did I do that?

(typo)

Edited to add: PS. I also said "I don't hink that ..." when I meant to say "I don't think that ..."

It's true though. I never hink.
    Yeah,yeah, sure...the "I never hink" defense...

We need a #1 WR. A safety opposite berry. A corner opposite flowers and a DE.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Gotta hand it to TopekaRoy and chief31, because much of the media hasn't really been paying attention and insists on pimping a WR to the Chiefs with their top draft pick.

Pat Kirwan at CBS Sports, however, is projecting Tuitt to be the Chiefs top draft pick.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/m...ert/pat-kirwan

I don't have a problem with a WR being taken with the top draft pick IF guys like Tuitt and Hageman are off the board, but if either are there, the Chiefs brass has to consider taking them, as there is a huge need for a 3-4 DE that can attack the QB & that's what much of the media is NOT paying attention to.
    I've seen tuitt mocked to us by a couple people a month or so ago, but more importantly I have seen him and Hagemnn dropping in their draft position down to the early-mid 2nd round in a lot of mocks. This is important because if that trend holds, we may be able to trade down into the early 2nd, pick up an extra 3rd. That would really let us fill a lot of holes/add depth/continue building from the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    I've seen tuitt mocked to us by a couple people a month or so ago, but more importantly I have seen him and Hagemnn dropping in their draft position down to the early-mid 2nd round in a lot of mocks. This is important because if that trend holds, we may be able to trade down into the early 2nd, pick up an extra 3rd. That would really let us fill a lot of holes/add depth/continue building from the draft.
    I'm all for it if they could trade down and get an extra pick or two and still land Hageman or Tuitt.

I can't dispute that guys like Tuitt, Hageman and maybe even Quarles would be of value, but the simple fact is this: The WR corp is far, far, far, far worse than the DL. It's not even close. I don't care how many points were scored in the second half of the season. I don't care how the defense faltered AFTER its top players got hurt.

The Chiefs must improve the WR corp to compete.
    ...in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    I can't dispute that guys like Tuitt, Hageman and maybe even Quarles would be of value, but the simple fact is this: The WR corp is far, far, far, far worse than the DL. It's not even close. I don't care how many points were scored in the second half of the season. I don't care how the defense faltered AFTER its top players got hurt.

The Chiefs must improve the WR corp to compete.
    Incorrect. Buffalo and Denver had held the Chiefs pass-rush in check prior to Hali and Houston getting hurt. Both teams double-teamed Poe and there was no inside pressure, giving Manning in particular too much time to find open receivers & if Buffalo would have had a quality QB leading them, they would have won that game going away. This season, they will face nothing but quality QB's.

They can improve at WR, but to say "The Chiefs must improve the WR corp to compete" is a bit of a stretch. Offensively, it will depend on how well their O-Line performs against the many tough Defensive front 7's that they will likely face this season.

Also the WR corp isn't "far, far, far, far worse" than the DL. I'd say it's closer than that, and to say that both areas need upgraded would be a more accurate statement.

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    I don't think we lose much with Walker, but I don't see how you can say he is an "upgrade." Compare their career stats.

Vance: 73 games 119 tackles (82 solo) 8 sacks 2 forced fumbles
    Tyson: 74 games 201 tackles (139 solo) 9 sacks 0 forced fumbles

How is Walker better than Jackson? Cheaper, yes. One year younger, yes but both have played for 6 years. But better? I don't see it.
    He is an upgrade because you are comparing carreer stats. If you break down the Career by opportunities and progressing to where they are today over their careers you will see that Walker has very similar stats for a career but posted most of his stats in the last two years while Jackson posted his consistently over the last 6 with his best beting three year ago. He basically started every game he was healthy, While Vance started only 2 games his first three seasons but played in nearly every game in rotations or being a special teams player, skewing his stats in comparision to Jackson.

Walker was a 7th round pick and based on his stats has shown greater improvement while Tyson's stats shows that he peaked three years ago and has regressed since then, making Walker an upgrade over Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    He is an upgrade because you are comparing carreer stats. If you break down the Career by opportunities and progressing to where they are today over their careers you will see that Walker has very similar stats for a career but posted most of his stats in the last two years while Jackson posted his consistently over the last 6 with his best beting three year ago. He basically started every game he was healthy, While Vance started only 2 games his first three seasons but played in nearly every game in rotations or being a special teams player, skewing his stats in comparision to Jackson.

Walker was a 7th round pick and based on his stats has shown greater improvement while Tyson's stats shows that he peaked three years ago and has regressed since then, making Walker an upgrade over Jackson.
    Okay, that makes sense. I can see him not starting in Atlanta with Massequoi on the team.

I'm a bit concerned that the Falcons let him go to Oakland, and the Raiders defense sucked last year, but after only one year the Raiders didn't re-sign him and brought in Lamaar Woodley at LDE. Then again, the Raiders do a lot of dumb things.

Both CBS.com and ourlads.com project him as playing 2nd string behind Allan Bailey. We will see if that changes during training camp.
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 04-11-2014 at 11:49 AM.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast