Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What positions do the Chiefs really have to address this year?

Talking What positions do the Chiefs really have to address this year?

Hey Chiefs Crowd,

The Chiefs have been "slow" to get things done this offseason. Most fans are upset about the lack of moves that Kansas City has made after going 11-5 last season. So, Chiefs fans, what positions do you all think the team HAS to address now? And what do you think can wait till next year or after?

Here's my take:
    I think the key positions of need are Middle Linebacker, Outside Linebacker, Offensive Guard, Offensive Tackle, Free Safety, and Defensive End.

Now, Outside Linebacker, Offensive Guard, Defensive End, and Defensive End are positions that mostly need depth. We aren't looking for anyone to replace Hali or Houston yet, but we need to build a rotation due to the fact that Hali is aging. I think that Middle Linebacker and Free Safety are the positions where we need to look to find potential starters.

My main reasons for the two positions that I selected are that, though we added Joe Mays, he never has been a true starter. He has been a good special teams player and a very average starter when he had the opportunity. Husain Abdullah (whom I really like) is returning, but he, like Joe Mays, has been solid at times, but we never know what he really would be as a full time starter.

Here's a quick view of my expected starting lineup, thus far into the offseason:
    QB - Alex Smith
    RB - Jamaal Charles
    FB - Anthony Sherman
    WR - Dwayne Bowe
    WR - AJ Jenkins
    TE - Anthony Fasano
    LT - Eric Fisher
    LG - Jeff Allen
    C - Rodney Hudson
    RG - Rishaw Johnson
    RT - Donald Stephenson

LE - Mike DeVito
    RE - Vance Walker (FA)
    NT - Dontari Poe
    LOLB - Tamba Hali
    ROLB - Justin Houston
    LILB - Derrick Johnson
    RILB - James Michael - Johnson
    CB - Sean Smith
    CB - Brandon Flowers
    FS - Husain Abdullah
    SS - Eric Berry

What do you guys think about these thoughts???

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    That's exactly why I hope that Jenkins becomes our speedy WR. Avery had his chances and most of them ended with drops. It wasn't until halfway through the season that he started to consistently catch the ball, and then he'd start making drops again, in big games. Towards the end of the season we started getting some use out of Jenkins.
    Totally agree. There's a reason why Jenkins was a first round pick. Plus, even though he's only had a minimal amount of catches in his career, you've got to remember that he wasn't allowed to see the field much thus far because he always had seasoned veterans in front of him. (See: Michael Crabtree & Mario Manningham in San Fransisco, Dwayne Bowe & Donnie Avery in Kansas City)

I think that the Chiefs will start with the duo of Dwayne Bowe and A.J. Jenkins as starters, which will allow Donnie Avery to fill the slot position, in Dexter McCluster's role.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    That's still better than what they had in 2009 and 2010 and 2011. And you are basing that off of last season. 2014 is a different entity, and at least this really is a young developing O-Line that does have a chance to get better.
    To quote Lloyd Christmas, “So you’re saying there’s a chance?!” I can’t bank on it. I really don’t care about 2009-11. The unit is not as good as last years.

If these rating are coming from PFF, then you're tapping into the wrong source. Their O-Line ratings are worthless. They never make mention of the series of opponents these guys play against.
    By that standard no stat is reliable. I’m no OL technician. I don’t take the time to review the tape. It seemed to me that far too many times Al had to tuck the ball and run. That’s not all on the OL. The WR bear some responsibility too.

Charlie still averaged 5.0 yards per carry. That’s still awesome by all standards, except his own. It’s his worst average ever. Still it’s a great number and a tribute to him being able to make something out of nothing and some late game stat padding. When the game was in doubt it seemed the OL really offered little help. No matter who played.

I won’t argue Albert’s place with you because it is moot. I knew he was gone this year no matter what. Schwartz wasn’t great, but played pretty well it seemed. The OL got better with him. Just not wild about replacing him with an unknown when you’re already pretty sure Allen is a bust.

I didn't say that there wasn't room for improvement or that they shouldn't try to add more talent to this unit. But, it may not come this off-season, but rather next off-season with more cap space and more draft picks.
    Agreed. With the cap remaining and the limited draft picks, not every hole can be filled. I was just hoping this team in general could at least remain status quo while resolving issues. Not just by record but talent level. I’m skeptical that it can.
    ...in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by keatonhenry View Post
    Totally agree. There's a reason why Jenkins was a first round pick. Plus, even though he's only had a minimal amount of catches in his career, you've got to remember that he wasn't allowed to see the field much thus far because he always had seasoned veterans in front of him. (See: Michael Crabtree & Mario Manningham in San Fransisco, Dwayne Bowe & Donnie Avery in Kansas City)

I think that the Chiefs will start with the duo of Dwayne Bowe and A.J. Jenkins as starters, which will allow Donnie Avery to fill the slot position, in Dexter McCluster's role.
    A.J. Jenkins, by most all accounts was a drastic reach as an R1 pick. He carried a R3 grade most everywhere.

Do you realize that there are few if any teams with a trio of worse WR? We already know that Donnie Avery is a D grade WR.

Expecting drastic improvement from A.J. Jenkins is grasping at straws. The 49ers have become a top franchise in the NFL. They don't throw away future stars.
    ...in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    A.J. Jenkins, by most all accounts was a drastic reach as an R1 pick. He carried a R3 grade most everywhere.

Do you realize that there are few if any teams with a trio of worse WR? We already know that Donnie Avery is a D grade WR.

Expecting drastic improvement from A.J. Jenkins is grasping at straws. The 49ers have become a top franchise in the NFL. They don't throw away future stars.
    The point keatonhenry is making is that we truly don't know what we have with Jenkins until we give him a shot.

SF never really gave him much a chance, mainly because they had reliable WR's in place. KC wasn't expecting Jenkins to be the next Jerry Rice when we traded for him. But given our salary cap and lack of draft picks, and the fact that he fits Avery's job description as the speed guy, and might have better hands, where's the fear in giving him a try?

In case you weren't paying attention to the last several game of the season, you could see Jenkins' improvement, both as a catcher and a blocker. Plus, based off of many reports by Chiefs news websites, John Dorsey and Andy Reid both have seen drastic improvement in Jenkins and he is expected to surpass Avery in the starting lineup. The same goes for Rishaw Johnson. He actually was a starter for the Seahawks in his one season there, but became a casualty after their depth chart got flooded on the interior offensive line. He is a very capable starter and the Chiefs' staff believes that.

Quote Originally Posted by keatonhenry View Post
    In case you weren't paying attention to the last several game of the season, you could see Jenkins' improvement, both as a catcher and a blocker. Plus, based off of many reports by Chiefs news websites, John Dorsey and Andy Reid both have seen drastic improvement in Jenkins and he is expected to surpass Avery in the starting lineup. The same goes for Rishaw Johnson. He actually was a starter for the Seahawks in his one season there, but became a casualty after their depth chart got flooded on the interior offensive line. He is a very capable starter and the Chiefs' staff believes that.
    I don't care how much Jenkins "improved" as per guys likely to say nice things. He only saw the field because the other alternatives proved worse. It's not as if he lit it up. He made a few plays. That's it.

As for Rishaw, by who's standard do you call him a capable starter? I realize SEA is world champs but I doubt they're so loaded they can afford to throw away "capable starters." Why didn't play sooner? They could have moved Schwartz to LG.

I hope Reid and Dorsey are right. The 2014 season depends on gambles such as these.
    ...in my opinion

As for Rishaw, by who's standard do you call him a capable starter? I realize SEA is world champs but I doubt they're so loaded they can afford to throw away "capable starters." Why didn't play sooner? They could have moved Schwartz to LG.
    Johnson did not go through a full training camp in KC in 2013. Notice though, that by seasons end that Asamoah had been relegated to a backup & yet, Asamoah didn't get the start in the season final against SD, it was Johnson that did. Johnson did also see some snaps in the playoff game at LG, as well.

A more appropriate question might be "by who's standard does one call Asamoah a capable starter, outside of Scott Pioli?". If Pioli is counting on Asamoah to bolster the interior O-Line in Altlanta to help protect Matt Ryan, then I pity Matt Ryan. The Chiefs brass realized they couldn't count on Asamoah and that's why he lost his job & showed him the door.

IMO DEFENSE across the board.

I've been very vocal about this defense. It needs some FREAKING toughness. Guys who won't go soft as soon as things start getting tough like this defense has. DEFENSE still wins championships just see the past Super Bowl.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    IMO DEFENSE across the board.

I've been very vocal about this defense. It needs some FREAKING toughness. Guys who won't go soft as soon as things start getting tough like this defense has. DEFENSE still wins championships just see the past Super Bowl.
    Agreed, as it WASN'T the Offense that was the problem at seasons end. It was the Defense that went to oatmeal. People are pimping a WR to the Chiefs with their top draft pick, but I'm of the belief that a 3-4 DE that attack the QB like Hageman or Tuitt would be a better pick and they can shop for a WR and Safety and O-line depth in later rounds.

Here's a list of prospects the Chiefs have interviewed either at the Senior Bowl, East-West Shrine game, Combine, Pro Day, or privately & most of them are Defensive players:

Justin Anderson, DL, UMass (PRO)
    Lonnie Ballentine, DB, Memphis (PRI)
    Chris Borland, LB, Wisconsin (COM)
    HaHa Clinton-Dix, DB, Alabama (COM)
    Darqueze Dennard, DB, Michigan State (COM)
    Kony Ealy, DL, Missouri (COM)
    Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M (COM)
    E.J. Gaines, DB, Missouri (COM)
    Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois (EW)
    Ryan Grant, WR, Tulane (SR%)
    Ra'Shede Hageman, DL, Minnesota (COM)
    Derrell Johnson, LB, East Carolina (PRI)
    Wesley Johnson, OL, Vanderbilt (SR)
    Christian Jones, LB, Florida State (SR)
    Kenny Ladler, DB, Vanderbilt (SR)
    Marqise Lee, WR, USC (COM)
    Keith Lewis, CB, Virigina-Lynch (PRO)
    Aaron Lynch, DL, South Florida (COM)
    Zach Moore, DL, Concordia (COM)
    Louis Nix, DL, Notre Dame (COM)
    Chris Smith, DL, Arkansas (SR)
    Stephon Tuitt, DL, Notre Dame (COM)
    Jason Verrett, DB, TCU (COM)
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 04-08-2014 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    The point keatonhenry is making is that we truly don't know what we have with Jenkins until we give him a shot.

SF never really gave him much a chance, mainly because they had reliable WR's in place. KC wasn't expecting Jenkins to be the next Jerry Rice when we traded for him. But given our salary cap and lack of draft picks, and the fact that he fits Avery's job description as the speed guy, and might have better hands, where's the fear in giving him a try?
    KC has no choice but to give him a try. I understand that we don't know, for certain, what KC has in Jenkins. I'm pretty confident he is a WR4 at best. Regardless of my opinion, what do you think is most likely:

A. A.J. Jenkins was overlooked in SF and is on the verge of breaking out.
    B. A.J. Jenkins was a bust in SF. He was traded for another bust at WR so it wasn't a matter of WR overload. It was because he wasn't good enough. They only reason he looks remotely competent in KC is the lack of quality alternatives at WR.

Sorry, but law of averages leans towards B. Let's be realistic.
    ...in my opinion

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast