Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What positions do the Chiefs really have to address this year?

Talking What positions do the Chiefs really have to address this year?

Hey Chiefs Crowd,

The Chiefs have been "slow" to get things done this offseason. Most fans are upset about the lack of moves that Kansas City has made after going 11-5 last season. So, Chiefs fans, what positions do you all think the team HAS to address now? And what do you think can wait till next year or after?

Here's my take:
    I think the key positions of need are Middle Linebacker, Outside Linebacker, Offensive Guard, Offensive Tackle, Free Safety, and Defensive End.

Now, Outside Linebacker, Offensive Guard, Defensive End, and Defensive End are positions that mostly need depth. We aren't looking for anyone to replace Hali or Houston yet, but we need to build a rotation due to the fact that Hali is aging. I think that Middle Linebacker and Free Safety are the positions where we need to look to find potential starters.

My main reasons for the two positions that I selected are that, though we added Joe Mays, he never has been a true starter. He has been a good special teams player and a very average starter when he had the opportunity. Husain Abdullah (whom I really like) is returning, but he, like Joe Mays, has been solid at times, but we never know what he really would be as a full time starter.

Here's a quick view of my expected starting lineup, thus far into the offseason:
    QB - Alex Smith
    RB - Jamaal Charles
    FB - Anthony Sherman
    WR - Dwayne Bowe
    WR - AJ Jenkins
    TE - Anthony Fasano
    LT - Eric Fisher
    LG - Jeff Allen
    C - Rodney Hudson
    RG - Rishaw Johnson
    RT - Donald Stephenson

LE - Mike DeVito
    RE - Vance Walker (FA)
    NT - Dontari Poe
    LOLB - Tamba Hali
    ROLB - Justin Houston
    LILB - Derrick Johnson
    RILB - James Michael - Johnson
    CB - Sean Smith
    CB - Brandon Flowers
    FS - Husain Abdullah
    SS - Eric Berry

What do you guys think about these thoughts???

Quote Originally Posted by keatonhenry View Post
    Hey Chiefs Crowd,

The Chiefs have been "slow" to get things done this offseason. Most fans are upset about the lack of moves that Kansas City has made after going 11-5 last season. So, Chiefs fans, what positions do you all think the team HAS to address now? And what do you think can wait till next year or after?

Here's my take:
    I think the key positions of need are Middle Linebacker, Outside Linebacker, Offensive Guard, Offensive Tackle, Free Safety, and Defensive End.

Now, Outside Linebacker, Offensive Guard, Defensive End, and Defensive End are positions that mostly need depth. We aren't looking for anyone to replace Hali or Houston yet, but we need to build a rotation due to the fact that Hali is aging. I think that Middle Linebacker and Free Safety are the positions where we need to look to find potential starters.

My main reasons for the two positions that I selected are that, though we added Joe Mays, he never has been a true starter. He has been a good special teams player and a very average starter when he had the opportunity. Husain Abdullah (whom I really like) is returning, but he, like Joe Mays, has been solid at times, but we never know what he really would be as a full time starter.

Here's a quick view of my expected starting lineup, thus far into the offseason:
    QB - Alex Smith
    RB - Jamaal Charles
    FB - Anthony Sherman
    WR - Dwayne Bowe
    WR - AJ Jenkins
    TE - Anthony Fasano
    LT - Eric Fisher
    LG - Jeff Allen
    C - Rodney Hudson
    RG - Rishaw Johnson
    RT - Donald Stephenson

LE - Mike DeVito
    RE - Vance Walker (FA)
    NT - Dontari Poe
    LOLB - Tamba Hali
    ROLB - Justin Houston
    LILB - Derrick Johnson
    RILB - James Michael - Johnson
    CB - Sean Smith
    CB - Brandon Flowers
    FS - Husain Abdullah
    SS - Eric Berry

What do you guys think about these thoughts???
    I think that lineup can be every bit as good as last years. Unfortunately this years schedule isn't like last years and I'm afraid it won't be good enough to see the playoffs again

Default why not

i say take another defensive lineman spcifically in the mold of truitt from notre dame u add another big agile body similar to dontari poe is only gonna free things up for poe while making it nearly impossible to double either tamba or houston i could see peyton watching the second half of the season from a hospital bed already

Quote Originally Posted by kc chief View Post
    i say take another defensive lineman spcifically in the mold of tuitt from notre dame u add another big agile body similar to dontari poe is only gonna free things up for poe while making it nearly impossible to double either tamba or houston i could see peyton watching the second half of the season from a hospital bed already
    I like Tuitt a lot as well and would have no problem whatsoever with the Chiefs taking him with their top draft pick. Very rare to see a true 3-4 DE that had 20.5 sacks in 28 starts in college.

No offense but people keep saying we need another ILB and I don't get it. How many snaps are we ever actually in our base 3-4???! Now consider we play Peyton, Rivers twice, and the whole NFC WEST and I can guarantee you our nickel CB will probably have more playing time than our starting W/RILB. All those teams are pass heavy. Yes they have good running games too, but they use the run to kill you with the pass. The W/RILB is the first guy to get pulled in passing situations and whe the offense goes 3WRs. So unless you think we are going to be getting blown out a lot and the opponents are going to be running the ball all day, then W/RILB is the least important position on defense. Sorry for the rant, but it keeps coming up again and again as a failure of Dorsey's to pick up a "starting caliber ILB." The W/RILB needs to be strong against the run and a contributor on special teams, since he will probably see as much playing time on ST as on defense.

On to other points, Husain Abdullah was the starting safety for 2 years at Minnesota before he took a year off to go on the Hajj (Muslim pilgrimage to Mecca). The fact that he started making plays late in the season probably means he was finally getting back into game shape/speed and the coaches noticed that, hence him getting resigned. I like him a lot too (partly because my mom was a teacher to him an many of his siblings) and I think between an Abdullah with a full NFL offseason, and Sanders Commings, we should see a lot of improvement at FS.

OLB is definitely a position we need to get some better depth at. Hali is getting up there in years, and there is possibility that in the next year or so, if his play declines, the team could look to cut him for cap space in favor of signing Houston long term. I may be getting ahead of this season, but it never hurts to add depth.

I am not convinced we are set at OG or DE, and definitely not WR. I'll even throw FS in there as well, since I think we will be better, but FS was really bad last year, so a little better may not be enough. I would like to more competition for OG and DE, but I won't hate it if we don't draft it. I think we have serviceable guys there right now, with OG being the bigger question in my head. I'd like to see a stronger interior pass rush, so if we cannot get that from Walker, hopefully we can draft a DE in the late first/early second if we trade down that can provide a spark there.

WR is an obvious need. I don't think we are desperate, but if I was Alex Smith and pass happy Reid, I'd be all over Dorsey to get a WR in the draft. I think AJ is going to look a lot better this year. I have high hopes for AJ and dressler. I think AJ was starting to pick up the offense last year and was a star, but on a different level. Hopefully they can step it up, but hope alone doesn't get you very far. It would be awesome to see a new WR from the draft. Someone to push for starting time and keep a fire lit under all the WRs (including Bowe's expensive a$$).

I will also add that I would love to see another big, strong press coverage CB.
    Last edited by jap1; 04-08-2014 at 03:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    No offense but people keep saying we need another ILB and I don't get it. How many snaps are we ever actually in our base 3-4???! Now consider we play Peyton, Rivers twice, and the whole NFC WEST and I can guarantee you our nickel CB will probably have more playing time than our starting W/RILB. All those teams are pass heavy. Yes they have good running games too, but they use the run to kill you with the pass. The W/RILB is the first guy to get pulled in passing situations and whe the offense goes 3WRs. So unless you think we are going to be getting blown out a lot and the opponents are going to be running the ball all day, then W/RILB is the least important position on defense. Sorry for the rant, but it keeps coming up again and again as a failure of Dorsey's to pick up a "starting caliber ILB." The W/RILB needs to be strong against the run and a contributor on special teams, since he will probably see as much playing time on ST as on defense.
    By that definition of "pass heavy"... What team isn't pass-heavy? Do you just mean "good teams"? Because I can't see calling those teams, specifically 49ers and Seahawks, pass-heavy without abandoning everything I know about them.

The Arizona Cardinals, I can see. They ranked barely in the upper-half of the league in passing yards. But the 49ers finished 30th, while The Seahawks and Rams were 26th and 27th in the NFL. And the 49ers and Seahawks ranked 3rd and 4th in rushing, with the Rams at 19th and Az at 23rd.

I mean, no team passed fewer times than Seattle and San Fran. Not even CLOSE. They ranked 1 &2 in fewest pass attempts, and with a wide gap to to third. Likewise, they ranked 2 & 3 for most rushing attempts.

Maybe the point is that The NFL has become pass heavy, to which I have to agree. But the NFC West was the most pass-shy division around. Making a case for them being "pass-happy" is to leave reality. Both were pretty efficient in their passing. But not in any way pass-happy.

I expect that it doesn't quite reverse the viewpoint you were on there. And that wasn't my intention. I was just a bit shocked when I saw that.

If AJ Jenkins is our #2 receiver we are in trouble, unless he improves 150% from the end of last year.

Pretty much we need depth at all positions except maybe QB and running back.

We need starters at Guard, Safety, Corner and WR and a NB.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    If AJ Jenkins is our #2 receiver we are in trouble, unless he improves 150% from the end of last year.

Pretty much we need depth at all positions except maybe QB and running back.

We need starters at Guard, Safety, Corner and WR and a NB.
    AJ Jenkins is highly favored in the Chiefs organization. He will be the #2 wide receiver, unless one is drafted in the first round.
    We have starters at guard, corner and nickel back. (Rishaw Johnson at RG, Smith & Flowers at CB, and Chris Owens at Nickelback)

Quote Originally Posted by keatonhenry View Post
    AJ Jenkins is highly favored in the Chiefs organization. He will be the #2 wide receiver, unless one is drafted in the first round.
    We have starters at guard, corner and nickel back. (Rishaw Johnson at RG, Smith & Flowers at CB, and Chris Owens at Nickelback)
    He is only favored because of his salary cap. Cutting him cost us more money. So far both he and Jon Baldwin are complete bust for #1 receiver. AJ has 8 catches in his career. Jr. Hemmingway has 13 and has shown more promise than AJ. Donnie Avery is still on our roster, and while he does drop passes he actually produces. Again, If AJ is our starter we are in trouble unless he has made drastic improvements and it is pretty clear the Chiefs were looking at upgrading our #2 with Sanders until the Donkies stole him and may Mocks have the Chiefs taking receiver in round 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    He is only favored because of his salary cap. Cutting him cost us more money. So far both he and Jon Baldwin are complete bust for #1 receiver. AJ has 8 catches in his career. Jr. Hemmingway has 13 and has shown more promise than AJ. Donnie Avery is still on our roster, and while he does drop passes he actually produces. Again, If AJ is our starter we are in trouble unless he has made drastic improvements and it is pretty clear the Chiefs were looking at upgrading our #2 with Sanders until the Donkies stole him and may Mocks have the Chiefs taking receiver in round 1.
    Donnie Avery's contract is actually worse for us than Jenkins' is. A.J. has never really been given much of a shot to play, he actually fits Reid's offense way better than Baldwin would have and Jenkins began to see the field more the last five or so games of the season.

The defense got worse as the season went on, so I think improving the defense is much more important at this point. The offense improved as the season went on, so I think the offense itself will be fine.
    Last edited by keatonhenry; 04-08-2014 at 11:56 AM.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast