Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: If the 2013 draftees step up?

Default If the 2013 draftees step up?

I find myself reading this board and it seems to be in such a panic. Rightfully so maybe, we got destroyed in the first off-season phase of free agency. We do have some holes primarily in depth some with more immediate needs. However if fisher, Kelce, commings, Cooper, Catapano if these guys can step up and some contribute some start and do well. How much stress does that relieve surrounding this team?

Personally I think this team is not in bad shape and you have to love the freedom and flexibility we have with our first round pick. Ya we are limited with our number of picks but the potential to land any number of players at 23 or lower if we can trade back who can immediately contribute is crazy and at the end of the day that's all you can ask for.

Bottum line we have to trust what Dorsey and Reid are doing and assume they have a plan until they prove otherwise. I'm excited for draft day because I have absolutely zero idea what te chiefs will do. However all the people that could be available I dot see very many that the chiefs could take and I would be upset because they could all contribute. It's gumna be exciting and I can't wait to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    ... Unless someone is dumb enough to offer a 2nd, 3rd, and 6th pick for him. Then jump on it!
    Actually, that honor could fall to Scott Pioli, who's already managed to blow 40mil on getting two of his former draft picks back.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Actually, that honor could fall to Scott Pioli, who's already managed to blow 40mil on getting two of his former draft picks back.
    That's right and it just shows you how stubborn Pioli is. He could have easily gotten equal caliber players to Tyson Jackson & Asamoah for half of that price. It does make you wonder how long it will be before the banners start flying over Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    That's always a possibility. Let's hope so. He has done a good job of planning ahead. He took Fisher knowing he was gonna lose Albert and that looks like it will work out.

I'd feel a lot better letting Berry go, knowing we already have his replacement.
    I do know that they've private visits with guys like Lonnie Ballentine, DB, Memphis & Sammy Seamster, DB, Middle Tennessee State, so that would indicate that they are indeed looking for those diamonds in the rough. Plus, it can't be forgotten that when Reid was in Philly, they signed Nnamdi Asomugha & traded for DRC and it backfired on them, with what they paid out. So I don't believe that Dorsey/Want to go the route of high-priced DB's for the Chiefs.

Quote Originally Posted by KCWildcat3 View Post
    Do u guys think Berrys impact would have been greater and more noticable if we had a decent safety opposite of him. If I was a QB or a coach why on earth would I ever test Berry if I know the guy on the other side is a far inferior player.

Just food for thought. What do u guys think?
    It's possible. Either way we need to find a replacement for Kendrick Lewis, but if we go that route, I think the biggest improvement wouldn't be in the passing defense, it'd be the run defense. KL was not an aggressive tackler. The way to make Berry look a whole lot better is to beef up the pass rush.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    All good points.

Let us consider the DeSean Jackson situation in Philly and his 10 mill a season contract he had in Philly. What happened? Nobody was willing to trade for him & the Eagles cut him and will get nothing in return. Jackson is a far bigger commodity & more of an impact player than Berry is and it's not even close.

So it's logical, like you are suggesting , to let Berry walk and possibly get a compensatory pick, unless some team does make a trade offer that the Chiefs have to consider. But with what I pointed out regarding DeSean Jackson, that's about as likely as a blizzard happening in Hawaii.

I really believe that Dorsey is going to pluck a hidden gem at Safety for the Chiefs in later rounds in this years draft and next years draft. See CB Sam Shields up in GB for an example of that.
    That is not a fair comparision at least not as far as character issues, but I agree EB would never get a good return values. Jackson had rumors of Gang ties and known character issues in the locker room including with his coach. He was also looking to hold out for a new contract. There was also conflicting reports about him being traded or staying. Eric Berry is a team leader. Regardless of position or value to a team. Jackson had other baggage tied to him that Eric would not.

That being said, the Chiefs signed 7 players after they made cuts last year with two of them becoming substantial players for us. Marcus Cooper and Sean McGrath and we also picked up some other key players off the "Scrap Heap" like Schwartz, Demps, Zombo and Abdullah adding depth to our team.

I think Dorsey very well may be able to evaluate quality talent to find us talent not easily noticeable. He very well could find us a starting FS with our 4th or 5th round picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    That is not a fair comparision at least not as far as character issues, but I agree EB would never get a good return values. Jackson had rumors of Gang ties and known character issues in the locker room including with his coach. He was also looking to hold out for a new contract. There was also conflicting reports about him being traded or staying. Eric Berry is a team leader. Regardless of position or value to a team. Jackson had other baggage tied to him that Eric would not.

That being said, the Chiefs signed 7 players after they made cuts last year with two of them becoming substantial players for us. Marcus Cooper and Sean McGrath and we also picked up some other key players off the "Scrap Heap" like Schwartz, Demps, Zombo and Abdullah adding depth to our team.

I think Dorsey very well may be able to evaluate quality talent to find us talent not easily noticeable. He very well could find us a starting FS with our 4th or 5th round picks.
    True, Berry is the better character guy, but he doesn't impact the game the way that Jackson could. People are talking silly nonsense about letting Bowe and Hali go just for the sake of retaining Berry at about the same cost, but are forgetting that Bowe and Hali have a bigger impact in the Chiefs games on a regular basis than Berry does.

In fact, the biggest impact play that Berry probably made last year was when he KO'd Justin Houston in the first SD game ( thanks, the Chiefs needed that ) and I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned that.

I don't believe the Chiefs will be able to trade him, unless Pioli wants him in Atlanta, but I don't believe the Chiefs will retain Berry once his contract is done, either.

People are overlooking the fact that if Dorsey/Reid had been making that #5 overall pick in 2010, they would have taken Okung with that pick and not Berry. Whether people like it or not, a parting of the ways with Berry is lurking on the horizon, but like TR said, the Chiefs need to get some replacements on board and be prepared for that and same with Hali and Bowe and Flowers.

No DB can cover for as long as they were being asked too towards the end of last season. Beef up the pass rush and our secondary will flourish again. Watch the first half of the season and that's obvious. I don't think it's smart to let a team leader and really good football player walk only to take a chance on some other people that may or may not pan out. When u get great players u need to retain them. For the right price Berry should remain a Chief.

No DB can cover for as long as they were being asked too towards the end of last season. Beef up the pass rush and our secondary will flourish again. Watch the first half of the season and that's obvious. I don't think it's smart to let a team leader and really good football player walk only to take a chance on some other people that may or may not pan out. When u get great players u need to retain them. For the right price Berry should remain a Chief.
    That's the problem. His asking price may be too high once his rookie contract expires -- just like Albert's was. You are quite correct about beefing up the pass-rush & they can't just let Berry walk right now because they don't have anybody else.

I don't agree about Berry being "great". He's OK to a point, but he's not irreplaceable. The Chiefs Defense in 2011 had it's share of superb performances without him.

It's looking more and more like the Chiefs need to go heavy on Defense in the next two drafts and brace themselves for the eventual departures of guys like Hali, Flowers, DJ, and Berry.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    That's the problem. His asking price may be too high once his rookie contract expires -- just like Albert's was. You are quite correct about beefing up the pass-rush & they can't just let Berry walk right now because they don't have anybody else.

I don't agree about Berry being "great". He's OK to a point, but he's not irreplaceable. The Chiefs Defense in 2011 had it's share of superb performances without him.

It's looking more and more like the Chiefs need to go heavy on Defense in the next two drafts and brace themselves for the eventual departures of guys like Hali, Flowers, DJ, and Berry.
    Yep, the defense will need to turn over personnel in the next few years. Unfortunately the Chiefs have put themselves in the bad position of having to use this year’s draft to address immediate needs. This minus their R2.

OL depth and WR are sorely needed and undermine any notion of planning ahead. I love the Steelers way of drafting “the next guy up” in advance. In fairness to Dorsey, I believe he does too. Guys like Tuitt or Hageman are guys I like as much as you, but may not be as high on KC’s board due to need. They may stay put with Walker, Bailey, Devito and Catapano.

If the media is to be believed (BIG IFFFFFF) then there may be some good news. The QB class may slide as a whole which may put KC in a great position to trade down from R1.23 and recoup an R3.

If that happens, then KC could take Tuitt and still address OG and WR and come away with some immediate help.

PS: Tuitt has continually slid during “the process” it seems. I recall him being a top 20 prospect before “it” began. Any idea why? A 34DE who generates a pass rush is a valuable commodity.
    ...in my opinion

I agree with you, Keeping Berry would be a good thing, but brdempsey is also correct. Berry is probably going to be looking for a huge score in his next contract and I simply doubt we are going to be able to pay the kind of money he wants.

His cap number this year per overthecap.com http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=E...=S&Team=Chiefs is $11.6 million and his average cap number for the contract was something like $8.5 million. I imagine he'll be looking for a contract that averages well over $10 million per year and is heavily front-loaded with guaranteed money to the first 3 years of the contract. And some team will almost assuredly offer that to him....and I am pretty sure he and his agent know that.

Is he really worth that kind of money????

IMO no. I mean really.....how many $10 million per year guys can we afford? IMO (and it is my understanding that this is the way Dorsey tends to think) the money is better spent on a defensive line that can put heavy pressure on the opposing QB.

The salary cap sucks, but it is "the law of the land" and that forces teams to make tough choices about who to keep and who to let go. And that is all made worse by some of the teams that spend money like drunken sailors in a whore house that spend INSANE money on players that are nothing more than "a good bit above average". It makes other players and agents look at contracts that people have gotten and say "I'm at least as good and probably better than he is so I am worth more money".

If you want to be honest, of the players we have whose cap number is over $5 million, Alex Smith (cap number next year $8 million) is probably one of the best values we have.

Is Eric Berry really worth more than Alex Smith?????
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 04-15-2014 at 01:01 PM.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast