Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: If the 2013 draftees step up?

Default If the 2013 draftees step up?

I find myself reading this board and it seems to be in such a panic. Rightfully so maybe, we got destroyed in the first off-season phase of free agency. We do have some holes primarily in depth some with more immediate needs. However if fisher, Kelce, commings, Cooper, Catapano if these guys can step up and some contribute some start and do well. How much stress does that relieve surrounding this team?

Personally I think this team is not in bad shape and you have to love the freedom and flexibility we have with our first round pick. Ya we are limited with our number of picks but the potential to land any number of players at 23 or lower if we can trade back who can immediately contribute is crazy and at the end of the day that's all you can ask for.

Bottum line we have to trust what Dorsey and Reid are doing and assume they have a plan until they prove otherwise. I'm excited for draft day because I have absolutely zero idea what te chiefs will do. However all the people that could be available I dot see very many that the chiefs could take and I would be upset because they could all contribute. It's gumna be exciting and I can't wait to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    Yep, the defense will need to turn over personnel in the next few years. Unfortunately the Chiefs have put themselves in the bad position of having to use this year’s draft to address immediate needs. This minus their R2.

OL depth and WR are sorely needed and undermine any notion of planning ahead. I love the Steelers way of drafting “the next guy up” in advance. In fairness to Dorsey, I believe he does too. Guys like Tuitt or Hageman are guys I like as much as you, but may not be as high on KC’s board due to need. They may stay put with Walker, Bailey, Devito and Catapano.

If the media is to be believed (BIG IFFFFFF) then there may be some good news. The QB class may slide as a whole which may put KC in a great position to trade down from R1.23 and recoup an R3.

If that happens, then KC could take Tuitt and still address OG and WR and come away with some immediate help.

PS: Tuitt has continually slid during “the process” it seems. I recall him being a top 20 prospect before “it” began. Any idea why? A 34DE who generates a pass rush is a valuable commodity.
    Dorsey is paying the price for the Pioli years and the last years of King Carl. It sucks, but it is what it is. Hopefully he can get the ship righted before the fan base starts demanding his head on a platter.

Yep, the defense will need to turn over personnel in the next few years. Unfortunately the Chiefs have put themselves in the bad position of having to use this year’s draft to address immediate needs. This minus their R2.

OL depth and WR are sorely needed and undermine any notion of planning ahead. I love the Steelers way of drafting “the next guy up” in advance. In fairness to Dorsey, I believe he does too. Guys like Tuitt or Hageman are guys I like as much as you, but may not be as high on KC’s board due to need. They may stay put with Walker, Bailey, Devito and Catapano.

If the media is to be believed (BIG IFFFFFF) then there may be some good news. The QB class may slide as a whole which may put KC in a great position to trade down from R1.23 and recoup an R3.

If that happens, then KC could take Tuitt and still address OG and WR and come away with some immediate help.

PS: Tuitt has continually slid during “the process” it seems. I recall him being a top 20 prospect before “it” began. Any idea why? A 34DE who generates a pass rush is a valuable commodity.
    Durability concerns, although Tuitt didn't miss any games. Jones fracture in one of his feet discovered at the combine, which has been surgically repaired. I don't believe Tuitt will fall out of the 1st round & I believe Seattle having lost Chris Clemons and Red Bryant would have to consider Tuitt if he were there at #32. I know that NE is interested, but it's also been said by their fans that an off-the-edge pass rusher is a bigger need.

The more I think about it, the more it appears that staying at #23 and taking whomever is really starting to stink. I'm really hoping for a trade-down and getting more picks, just like you said, because of the needs across the board. And the QB's falling to #23 is a VERY strong possibility that could create that scenario.

And I can't help but think what happens if the Chiefs stay at #23 and the guy that they take doesn't pan out, then they are going to be screwed royally & any draft prospect can bust.

Therefore, if (hypothetically) some team at the top of the 2nd round wants to trade up to the Chiefs spot at #23, IF one those QB's falls and the offer they Chiefs a 3rd, 4th, and maybe a 5th or 6th, in addition to that pick at the top of round 2 --- TAKE IT !!!

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post

Is Eric Berry really worth more than Alex Smith?????
    I'm sorry, but NO. And same for Poe and Houston. And by the end of 2014, we may just have to add Stephenson to that list, as he's already proving to be a very valuable commodity given the fact that he can play on either side of the O-Line.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 04-15-2014 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Durability concerns, although Tuitt didn't miss any games. Jones fracture in one of his feet discovered at the combine, which has been surgically repaired. I don't believe Tuitt will fall out of the 1st round & I believe Seattle having lost Chris Clemons and Red Bryant would have to consider Tuitt if he were there at #32. I know that NE is interested, but it's also been said by their fans

The more I think about it, the more it appears that staying at #23 and taking whomever is really starting to stink. I'm really hoping for a trade-down and getting more picks, just like you said, because of the needs across the board. And the QB's falling to #23 is a VERY strong possibility that could create that scenario.

And I can't help but think what happens if the Chiefs stay at #23 and the guy that they take doesn't pan out, then they are going to be screwed royally & any draft prospect can bust.

Therefore, if (hypothetically) some team at the top of the 2nd round wants to trade up to the Chiefs spot at #23, IF one those QB's falls and the offer the Chiefs a 3rd, 4th, and maybe a 5th or 6th, in addition to that pick at the top of round 2 --- TAKE IT !!!
    Yup....trading down is starting to look like a very good idea. A 2cond this year plus several picks next year would be very interesting. We're already going to have 3 or 4 compensatory picks in 2015. Toss in a few more for trading down this year and we would be eating high on the hog in the 2015 draft. The fact that we will probably be picking higher in the draft in 2015 doesn't hurt either.

Yup....trading down is starting to look like a very good idea. A 2cond this year plus several picks next year would be very interesting. We're already going to have 3 or 4 compensatory picks in 2015. Toss in a few more for trading down this year and we would be eating high on the hog in the 2015 draft. The fact that we will probably be picking higher in the draft in 2015 doesn't hurt either.
    I’m not interested in a trade down for 2015 picks. Dorsey needs ammo now!
    ...in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    I'm sorry, but NO. And same for Poe and Houston. And by the end of 2014, we may just have to add Stephenson to that list, as he's already proving to be a very valuable commodity given the fact that he can play on either side of the O-Line.
    Exactly the point I was trying to make. There is limited money and more players we want to keep than their is money. That means that some of the names we all know and love are going to have to go. From a purely cost/value analysis point I think Berry is pretty high on the list of names that may need to go. I don't like it one damned bit, but this is the nature of football under the salary cap.

Actually, I'm referring to getting extra picks in THIS draft, because it is becoming quite clear that 6 picks in 2014, isn't going to feed the bulldog.

I know that many of us, myself included, have a liking for a particular player or particular players that we'd like to see drafted at #23, BUT, looking at the bigger overall picture, what's really going to be the decisive factor is the OVERALL group of football players that they come out of this draft with, not who they take specifically with their top draft pick.

With that said, I'm hopeful of a trade-down and getting extra 2014 draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69
    With that said, I'm hopeful of a trade-down and getting extra 2014 draft picks.
    I also would prefer picks now. I'm sure Dorsey would too. This appears to be a FAT draft. But if the best offer we can get for trading down is a high 2cond now and several picks in 2015 then I still think it would be worth considering. But yes....a mid to high 2cond now plus 1 to 3 later picks would be much better. Maybe a mid 2cond and 3rd now plus a pick in 2015?
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 04-15-2014 at 01:47 PM.

Agreed. If a trade occurs, I'd put a priority on getting second & third rounders this year to re-stock the shelves.

I understand Berry will want some money but if it comes down to it. Would u throw the money at Flowers or Berry? I think Berry is much more irreplaceable than Flowers at this point. Especially with the change in scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by KCWildcat3 View Post
    I understand Berry will want some money but if it comes down to it. Would u throw the money at Flowers or Berry? I think Berry is much more irreplaceable than Flowers at this point. Especially with the change in scheme.
    Probably will have to wait until the 2014 season is over to find out. Both are making aroung 10 mill a season, as it stands right now & if I'm right about both their contracts expiring after 2015, there's a possibility that the Chiefs may not be able to afford either of them. Alex, Houston, and Poe have to be at the top priorities to get long-term deals done with and they aren't going to come cheap. And I'll throw a surprise player out there, whose stock I believe is also going to be rising fast and that's Donald Stephenson, because when you have an athletic Tackle that can play either side like he can, his value is sure to rocket upwards in the eyes of Dorsey/Reid.