Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: If the 2013 draftees step up?

Default If the 2013 draftees step up?

I find myself reading this board and it seems to be in such a panic. Rightfully so maybe, we got destroyed in the first off-season phase of free agency. We do have some holes primarily in depth some with more immediate needs. However if fisher, Kelce, commings, Cooper, Catapano if these guys can step up and some contribute some start and do well. How much stress does that relieve surrounding this team?

Personally I think this team is not in bad shape and you have to love the freedom and flexibility we have with our first round pick. Ya we are limited with our number of picks but the potential to land any number of players at 23 or lower if we can trade back who can immediately contribute is crazy and at the end of the day that's all you can ask for.

Bottum line we have to trust what Dorsey and Reid are doing and assume they have a plan until they prove otherwise. I'm excited for draft day because I have absolutely zero idea what te chiefs will do. However all the people that could be available I dot see very many that the chiefs could take and I would be upset because they could all contribute. It's gumna be exciting and I can't wait to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Re-quoted for truth. Talent-wise I thought the best two we lost were McCluster and Schwartz. But even with that in mind it's not like the sky is falling, and in 2015 we'll get at least 3 or 4 extra draft picks (Good excuse to rebuild the secondary...). It's real easy to look over at Denver, who's spending money hand over fist to "win now", and get envious because we can only spend pennies in comparison.
    Its not about DEN and the money they've spent. Every player who has left has been replaced, thus far, by a lesser one. And some seem to think the draft will correct all of that. It won't.
    ...in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    Before you scoff, name the coaches who have won Super Bowls in their second stints as HC. Then from that list point out the ones (one?) who did it after being in the league 10+ years. I sure you believe it's statistical "voodoo mumbo jumbo." Coaches get stale.
    Yes they do. Some get completely stale to the game. Some others get stale to a team but go on to have respectable careers with other teams. Did Reid get stale at Philthy? Doesn't seem to be much doubt about that. Is he stale to the game? That is yet to be determined. However, his performance last year would seem to make that less likely. But in the end whether he is completely stale to the game of football will not be determined by this year's performance any more than it was determined by last year's performance. The thing that is certain--at least in my mind-- is that by this past year's performance Reid got a lot more out of players than either RC or TH did. And for me at least that bought him a MINIMUM of 2-3 more years. Personally, unless the next 2 years are complete meltdowns I think Reid deserves AT LEAST 3 more years. We may not have been as good as our record this past year but we were CERTAINLY a lot better than we were in 2012. And I attribute that mostly to Reid. It was Reid who wanted Alex Smith and it was Reid who got a lot more from our players than previous coaches did. It's pssible that Reid is stale to the game. But after this past year only a real pessimist could state with certainty that he is.

I mean c'mon...what would have made you happy last year? A Super Bowl win? Don't you think that was expecting a bit too much from a new HC and GM after a 2-14 year? Maybe a playoff win would have been enough to satisfy you? Well, if it wasn't for injuries in the game, we would have had one.

Make no mistake, I am not saying Reid is the best coach in the game. But to call him "stale" and a flop after 1 season in which we went 11-5 and then came within a whisker of winning our first playoff game in 20 years is really kind of silly.

BTW Mongo.....since you think so poorly of Reid, what coach should Hunt have hired? Please be sure in answering that question to list only potential coaches that would have had at least some small interest in coaching the Chiefs. Lots of names were thrown around last year, but most of them were guys that had either no interest in returning to coaching or had no interest in coaching the Chiefs. I for one am firmly convinced that Hunt got us the very best coach he had any chance of getting.

Naturally, the goal is to win a Super Bowl. But you have to make the playoffs to do that. I think that right now most Chiefs fans would be quite happy with a coach who simply got us into the playoffs most of the time. Once you are in the playoffs anything can happen.

History/Odds are highly against Andy Reid winning a SB in KC. You may not care what Reid did in Philly, but as history as shown, if you choose to ignore it, you are bound to repeat it.
    That is true. But you wanna know something???? With very few exceptions, History/Odds are highly against ANY given coach winning a Super Bowl. Go back to the merger, exclude the 3 winningest Super Bowl coaches, figure out how many Head Coaches there have been in total, then give me the odds for ANY coach to win the Super Bowl. You'll find that they are not much (if any) better than Reid winning a Super Bowl with the Chiefs.

Andy Reid is the Chiefs Head Coach. And he deserves our support until he proves he is at least as bad as RC and TH were.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Don Shula
    Dick Vermeil
    Tom Coughlin
    Jon Gruden
    Pete Carroll
    Bill Belichick
    Tony Dungy

Not sure what having 10+ years has to do with anything.
    By your list only Tom Coughlin won his first after ten years in the league. In itself, after a coach has been in the league more than 10 years they have little chance of winning one. The list is comprised of coaching legends. Landry, Noll and Gibbs (yr 11), Belichek and Coughlin. Andy Reid is not a legend.

They become stale. They get stuck in their ways. See "continually neglecting the running game".

I don't want to say it's impossible, and hope like Hell it isn't, but it's highly unlikely Andy Reid will ever win a Super Bowl -- anywhere. He will likely join the ranks of Bud Grant, Marv Levy and Marty Schottenheimer in the B grade Hall of Fame.
    ...in my opinion

Fair enough. It's not really saying much given his competition, is it? He'll be here 3 more years unless the wheels fall off completely. They shouldn't.
    EXACTLY! They shouldn't. This coming season will be dicey. Barring an injury to the Forehead we are probably starting the season looking for a Wildcard. But Wildcard teams have done exceptionally well of recent....and I'll remind you that the Chiefs ONLY Super Bowl win was as a Wildcard (although the terminology was different back then.)

Meantime, moving forward, we are going to have a bunch of compensatory picks for the 2015 season and should become a very young team. Give Reid 2 years (2015 and 2016) to work with them along with this years picks and the 2016 picks and I think we have one hell of a talented team come the start of 2017. Throw in that the Forehead will almost assuredly be gone by 2017 and I think we will be in a position to dominate the AFC West at least through the end of the decade. Naturally, this assumes that Dorsey turns out to be at least close to as good as he is supposed to be at picking talent.

Albert doesn’t bother me because I knew he was gone the minute Eric Fisher was drafted. They should have cut him then.
    No, we shouldn't have. Cutting him then would have cost us the compensatory pick we are going to get for having lost him in Free Agency. Furthmore, Reid knew he needed to show some immediate improvement this past year. Albert helped us go 11-5 and get us into the playoffs. Keeping him was the right choice.

What bothers me is that I can’t name one player replaced by a better alternative. Can you?
    Of course you can't. That's because we haven't seen who the replacements for the guys we lost in free agency will be. Sure, we have a pretty good idea. But nothing is set in concrete yet. And we haven't seen how they will play once they become starters. MANY players take a big step up when they get promoted from backup to Starter. A LOT of that has to do with coaching. We'll see what Reid is able to get out of them.

And I must remind AGAIN that we simply didn't have the cap space to keep the Free Agents we lost.

By your list only Tom Coughlin won his first after ten years in the league. In itself, after a coach has been in the league more than 10 years they have little chance of winning one. The list is comprised of coaching legends. Landry, Noll and Gibbs (yr 11), Belichek and Coughlin. Andy Reid is not a legend.

They become stale. They get stuck in their ways. See "continually neglecting the running game".

I don't want to say it's impossible, and hope like Hell it isn't, but it's highly unlikely Andy Reid will ever win a Super Bowl -- anywhere. He will likely join the ranks of Bud Grant, Marv Levy and Marty Schottenheimer in the B grade Hall of Fame.
    Coughlin, Belichick, Vermeil, and the others were no legends of any kind. None of the guys that I listed were, except Don Shula and I forgot to add Weeb Ewbank to that list. Landry, Noll and Gibbs never coached a 2nd team.

Andy Reid has not totally neglected the running game, but he does prefer to pass first.

Well Thank you at least for that. But I would like to remind you of a fact. There was a time when it was "highly unlikely" that a "Wildcard" (using the verbiage that was in use at the time) team would ever win the Super Bowl. I well remember the first time a "Wildcard" team ever won the Super Bowl. Now it has become almost common. But I would like to ask you again.......What coach that Clark Hunt could have ACTUALLY GOTTEN would have had a substantially better chance of winning a Super Bowl for the Chiefs?

You really shouldn't tell us Reid was a bad choice and has little or no "Historical/Odds" chance
    without telling us what coach that we could have ACTUALLY GOTTEN was the Odds-on guy to coach us to a Super Bowl win.

Until you answer that question you really aren't much more than a Reid-hater and complainer.

If you want to tell us Reid ain't the guy, then you should have the courtesy of telling us who "the guy" was.

I'm waiting.

Its not about DEN and the money they've spent. Every player who has left has been replaced, thus far, by a lesser one. And some seem to think the draft will correct all of that. It won't.
    Okay, who would YOU have signed or traded, given our cap space & draft situation? Don't give me the "...all I'm saying is ..." routine, just tell us who you would've traded or signed.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    I mean c'mon...what would have made you happy last year? A Super Bowl win? Don't you think that was expecting a bit too much from a new HC and GM after a 2-14 year? Maybe a playoff win would have been enough to satisfy you? Well, if it wasn't for injuries in the game, we would have had one.

Make no mistake, I am not saying Reid is the best coach in the game. But to call him "stale" and a flop after 1 season in which we went 11-5 and then came within a whisker of winning our first playoff game in 20 years is really kind of silly.

Naturally, the goal is to win a Super Bowl. But you have to make the playoffs to do that. I think that right now most Chiefs fans would be quite happy with a coach who simply got us into the playoffs most of the time. Once you are in the playoffs anything can happen.

That is true. But you wanna know something???? With very few exceptions, History/Odds are highly against ANY given coach winning a Super Bowl. Go back to the merger, exclude the 3 winningest Super Bowl coaches, figure out how many Head Coaches there have been in total, then give me the odds for ANY coach to win the Super Bowl. You'll find that they are not much (if any) better than Reid winning a Super Bowl with the Chiefs.

Andy Reid is the Chiefs Head Coach. And he deserves our support until he proves he is at least as bad as RC and TH were.
    What does “support” have to do with anything? I’m not calling for Reid’s head or calling him a flop. He’s already gotten the Chiefs back to respectability, just like Philly. I just expect a repeat of the Marty years. Close, but no cigar.

Last year was the most fun I had as a Chiefs fan in years. I was skeptical of Reid and remain so, that doesn’t mean I don’t “support” him. I would much rather enjoy a SB and be wrong.

Of course odds against any coach, but there is a profile of the winners. Reid doesn’t fit it. Nobody knew who Bill Parcells was. No one knew what Jimmy Johnson could do in the NFL. No one knew if past failures were misleading for Mike Shanahan, Bill Belichek and recently Pete Carroll. Who was Bill Cowher? Or Bill Walsh? Or Joe Gibbs?

None of them were “proven”. Andy Reid is. That’s what KC wanted and that’s what they got. Let’s hope he bucks a trend starting since Super Bowl I.
    ...in my opinion

Okay, who would YOU have signed or traded, given our cap space & draft situation? Don't give me the "...all I'm saying is ..." routine, just tell us who you would've traded or signed.
    This has been covered before.
    ...in my opinion

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast