Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: If the 2013 draftees step up?

Default If the 2013 draftees step up?

I find myself reading this board and it seems to be in such a panic. Rightfully so maybe, we got destroyed in the first off-season phase of free agency. We do have some holes primarily in depth some with more immediate needs. However if fisher, Kelce, commings, Cooper, Catapano if these guys can step up and some contribute some start and do well. How much stress does that relieve surrounding this team?

Personally I think this team is not in bad shape and you have to love the freedom and flexibility we have with our first round pick. Ya we are limited with our number of picks but the potential to land any number of players at 23 or lower if we can trade back who can immediately contribute is crazy and at the end of the day that's all you can ask for.

Bottum line we have to trust what Dorsey and Reid are doing and assume they have a plan until they prove otherwise. I'm excited for draft day because I have absolutely zero idea what te chiefs will do. However all the people that could be available I dot see very many that the chiefs could take and I would be upset because they could all contribute. It's gumna be exciting and I can't wait to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Ummm ok

They had a bad year Reids last year But I hardly call that running them into the ground. If that was the case they wouldn't have been back in the playoffs last year.
    He was on a downhill trend since 2009. Some Philly fans will say he should have been let go after losing to NE in the SB.
    ...in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    9 playoff appearances, 4 consecutive NFC championships and a Super Bowl appearance = running them into the ground.
    Ancient history. What had he done for them lately?
    ...in my opinion

How can no one mention Knile Davis?

He steped up in a NFL playoff game. It's not like the 2013 rookie class did nothing to help. Give them time people. It was only the start of there careers. Fisher was bad at the start of the year but after some time he progressed. There's nothing to say that draft class can't be a good one just yet.
    Why is everyone's opinion based on a good performance in one game? Do we even know Davis' health going into 2014?

BTW: Davis was 18 carries for 67 yards in that game. A 3.7 YPG -- below average. Is that really "stepping up?"
    ...in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    He was on a downhill trend since 2009. Some Philly fans will say he should have been let go after losing to NE in the SB.
    Yes because Philly fans are known for being reasonable

Was it time for a change yep. But sometimes that happens in sports.
    Heres an example not football but its along the same lines
    Terry Francona in the last month of the season in 2011 his red sox team fell apart. He didn't forget how to manage it was just time for a change. When he went to a new team (thankfully to my team) he took that team from 68 wins to 92 and a playoff birth the first playoff birth in 7 years. Sometimes a change is in order. It has happened a lot of times in sports

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    Why is everyone's opinion based on a good performance in one game? Do we even know Davis' health going into 2014?

BTW: Davis was 18 carries for 67 yards in that game. A 3.7 YPG -- below average. Is that really "stepping up?"
    Yes because he did nothing before then. The fact is he just wasn't getting that many carries because of Charles. But he was helping the team in the return game. He did things to help in more then 1 game. But why mention that?

And why Mention his 2 tds in the playoff game? It's not like that helped or anything.
    come on have an once of patience
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

How can no one mention Knile Davis?

He steped up in a NFL playoff game. It's not like the 2013 rookie class did nothing to help. Give them time people. It was only the start of there careers. Fisher was bad at the start of the year but after some time he progressed. There's nothing to say that draft class can't be a good one just yet.
    I don't think anyone is questioning the RB position this coming season so he is not included in the MUST step up hopes.

9 playoff appearances, 4 consecutive NFC championships and a Super Bowl appearance = running them into the ground.
    How many here would really complain if Reid "ran the Chiefs into the ground" in a similar fashion?

Matter of fact, the last time we got "run into the ground" in a similar fashion was under Marty and if I recall correctly at the end of the 2012 season there were a lot of people wishing Marty would come back and "run us into the ground" again.

I read some where a year ago that Andy Reid's decline was more related to his situations with the Philly ownership, basically forcing him to keep people he didn't want to, such as Michael Vick. I have heard him more than once say he is so much happier in the KC just coaching leading me to believe that he did not like business side which is why they hand picked Dorsey. A guy Andy can work well with.

Yeah...If that's what you call being run into the ground, I'm pretty cool with being run into the ground. Anyone here want to go back and do things the Pioli or Herm Edwards way?

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    I read some where a year ago that Andy Reid's decline was more related to his situations with the Philly ownership, basically forcing him to keep people he didn't want to, such as Michael Vick. I have heard him more than once say he is so much happier in the KC just coaching leading me to believe that he did not like business side which is why they hand picked Dorsey. A guy Andy can work well with.
    I think we all have read a lot about why Reid was happy to get out of Philthy and happy to come to KC. The feeling I got from what I read was that based on his success, Reid had been put in a position where he was pretty much doing dual duty as a sort of "almost" GM and also Head Coach. And he didn't do so well at it. Wouldn't be the first time someone got promoted beyond their desire or capability. In my life I have seen it many times and it has happened to me in jobs I've had. You just get given more responsibility than you can handle and wind up not doing any of them very well despite working your ash off to try to do a good job. A man has to know his limitations.

Reid is a very good HC IMO who excels at getting the very best out of his players. GM? Meah.....I love him as a HC, wouldn't want him as GM.

Dorsey on the other hand seems to have an excellent reputation for finding talent and managing a scouting operation. I do have my doubts at how good he is at the business side of football--negotiating contracts, manipulating the salary cap etc. Not saying he is not good at it, just that I think his talent in this area is unproven.

But I'm pretty confident that we have an EXCELLENT HC that is truly thrilled to be back to simply coaching football players and doing what he has done best in the past. And he trusts Dorsey and is happy to work with him. It's a good match.

Of course, Head Coaches do get outdated. We've seen it with Hank Stram, Tom Landry and a host of others over the years. The game simply passed them by. They kept doing things as they always had, but the game had changed and they didn't adapt. I don't think Reid is there yet. I think he has one more good 10 year run in him with a good shot at a Super Bowl win.

If Dorsey gets the talent, Reid will get the wins.

Oh.....and Seek.....I'm not disagreeing with what you said. Just putting my own interpretation on it.

Yes because Philly fans are known for being reasonable

Was it time for a change yep. But sometimes that happens in sports.
    Heres an example not football but its along the same lines
    Terry Francona in the last month of the season in 2011 his red sox team fell apart. He didn't forget how to manage it was just time for a change. When he went to a new team (thankfully to my team) he took that team from 68 wins to 92 and a playoff birth the first playoff birth in 7 years. Sometimes a change is in order. It has happened a lot of times in sports
    Reasonable? How long were Philly fans supposed to wait? The lunatic fringe in Philly gives the group as a whole a bad name. They are some of the most knowledgeable sports fans in the country. Reid was given control of the operations, got desperate after so many close failures and went on free agent spending sprees that led to his demise. He ran the team into the ground. Ask an Eagles fan.

Along the way fans grew tired of his self-deprecating, say nothing, press conferences after losses. They grew tired of hearing how it was “his fault” and finally agreed, while asking “What are you going to do about it?”

Most Chiefs fans said the Chiefs were talented and were only credible leadership and quarterbacking away from contention. So, Reid may have just been in the right place at the right time.

As for forgetting how to coach, most times it’s more a case of going as far as you’re going to go. A change helps a coach in other sports. Very few have won a SB on a second team. The list shortens when you eliminate those who have been in the league more than 10 years. NFL coaches have a shelf life – overall, not just in one city.

Keep that in mind before glorifying Dandy Andy.
    Yes because he did nothing before then. The fact is he just wasn't getting that many carries because of Charles. But he was helping the team in the return game. He did things to help in more then 1 game. But why mention that?

And why Mention his 2 tds in the playoff game? It's not like that helped or anything.
    come on have an once of patience
    Patience? No, its called reality. I’m new to this board, but not to Chiefs chat. The most common thing I’ve noticed is that Chiefs fans drastically and desperately overrate the value of their players. For every Jared Allen or Brandon Carr there are scores of Boomer Grigsbys, Jessie Haynes, Bobby Sippios that the fan base just knew was about to be a breakout player.

Now we have “The Beast” Mike Catapano, FS savior Sanders Commings, Will Shields II after a game, Rishaw Johnson, and pre-season 2014 Comeback Player of the Year, A.J. Jenkins. I’ll believe it when I see it. I thought Missouri was the “Show Me State”

Kniles Davis barely had enough moments to make a one minute highlight reel.
    ...in my opinion

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast