Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: If the 2013 draftees step up?

Default If the 2013 draftees step up?

I find myself reading this board and it seems to be in such a panic. Rightfully so maybe, we got destroyed in the first off-season phase of free agency. We do have some holes primarily in depth some with more immediate needs. However if fisher, Kelce, commings, Cooper, Catapano if these guys can step up and some contribute some start and do well. How much stress does that relieve surrounding this team?

Personally I think this team is not in bad shape and you have to love the freedom and flexibility we have with our first round pick. Ya we are limited with our number of picks but the potential to land any number of players at 23 or lower if we can trade back who can immediately contribute is crazy and at the end of the day that's all you can ask for.

Bottum line we have to trust what Dorsey and Reid are doing and assume they have a plan until they prove otherwise. I'm excited for draft day because I have absolutely zero idea what te chiefs will do. However all the people that could be available I dot see very many that the chiefs could take and I would be upset because they could all contribute. It's gumna be exciting and I can't wait to see what happens.

When you look at Bowe's contract it's hard to envision him coming back next year unless he puts up ridiculous numbers. He'll still carry a $14M cap figure and the Chiefs will be able to save $3.5M by cutting him.

http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Na...WR&Team=Chiefs

Same with Flowers. $11.5M cap versus $7.5M savings.
    http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Na...CB&Team=Chiefs

And Hali. $11.96M cap versus $9M savings.
    http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Na...LB&Team=Chiefs

Hali and Flowers are gone for sure. Maybe Bowe stays for one more year.
    ...in my opinion

I mean maybe I'm a homer for Berry. But I would much rather retain Houston, Poe, Smith and Berry as opposed to the first three plus Bowe or Flowers. I love Flowers but he doesn't fit the system anymore. And Bowe is never going to be elite.

I think we need to draft so that we have replacements for all of our highest players, but that doesn't mean we have to lose them all. Letting two of them go will probably free up enough cap space to resign a couple of the others. Unless Bowe has a career year, he will probably be let go in 2015. Unless Berry is willing to restructure at a lower salary, he will probably be gone after this season. Those two moves, along with some smaller moves and the annual increase in the cap will be enough to retain Houston and get 2 or 3 more years from Alex.

As for the others--Hali, Flowers, Charles, Poe, etc. release whoever has the best back-ups in place and you have more money to resign whoever we keep.

So plan on losing them all, but for every player you release, you have that much more money to resign a player you want to keep. We were very fortunate to lose Albert and McCluster and have it not really hurt us. Some of the others won't be that easy to replace. It will come down to who and how well Dorsy drafts.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

One guy over at Arrowhead Addict posed the best question, as far as who stays and who goes.

it all depends on what you want from the Chiefs. Do you want some players to worship or do you want to win consistently and qualify for a super bowl?
    And I do not believe anybody is going to restructure, especially Berry, because he knows that Pioli is down there in Atlanta and will pay him.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 04-16-2014 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    When you look at Bowe's contract it's hard to envision him coming back next year unless he puts up ridiculous numbers. He'll still carry a $14M cap figure and the Chiefs will be able to save $3.5M by cutting him.

http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Na...WR&Team=Chiefs
    Exactly. We have NO CHOICE but to keep him this year (2014 season). But for 2015 if he had a really good year this year (2014) then we could either keep him or maybe have a decent chance of trading him. If he had a crappy 2014 then the cap hit is maybe small enough that we could cut him. When it comes to Bowe, we have options for 2015 and beyond, but none this year (2014 season)

Same with Flowers. $11.5M cap versus $7.5M savings.
    http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Na...CB&Team=Chiefs
    Yes. Flowers contract is somewhat similar but cutting him after the 2014 season would yield more than double the cap savings of cutting Bowe.

And Hali. $11.96M cap versus $9M savings.
    http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Na...LB&Team=Chiefs
    Yes. Hali would yield cap savings of $9 million if he was cut before the 2015 season.

So at the start of next season (2015 season) we have 3 veterans who if cut would save us $29 million in cap space (roughly 22% of the current total cap). Additionally, all of them will be young enough DB-30; BF-29; TH-31 that with their lowered cap numbers they might draw some interest as trade bait....especially if they had a good 2014 season.

This puts Dorsey in a pretty good position at the start of next season (2015 season). He'll have money to pay newly minted Free Agents that have really stepped up, he'll have money to pay Alex Smith for a new 2-3 year contract (unless we win the Super Bowl this year--2014 season) and he'll even have some money to toss at some "name brand" Free Agents.

Oh....and just for giggles, he'll have 3, maybe 4 compensatory picks in the draft that year.

Personally, I LIKE the looks of that.

Hali and Flowers are gone for sure. Maybe Bowe stays for one more year.
    Maybe. Maybe not. But I won't be crying in my beer if that is how it turns out. Especially if we get some good production from these three this year. And phsycologically all three of them should be wanting to "step up" this year knowing (as they should) that they may be looking for a new team next year.

Teams that get a new GM and HC in the same year generally get "blown up" and started from scratch. Reid and Dorsey haven't done that. They took good advantage of what we had last year (2013 season) when we had an "easy schedule", kept as many of our "name players" as they could for this year (2014 season) and if Dorsey is half as good at judging talent as he is supposed to be then the Chiefs should be a truly serious competitor for 2015-2019.

Yeah....I like what our new management is doing and while you disagree, I think Andy Reid is the right guy in the right place at the right time.

GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KCWildcat3 View Post
    I mean maybe I'm a homer for Berry. But I would much rather retain Houston, Poe, Smith and Berry as opposed to the first three plus Bowe or Flowers. I love Flowers but he doesn't fit the system anymore. And Bowe is never going to be elite.
    You don't have to apologize for appreciating Eric Berry and wanting to keep him.
    ...in my opinion

Berry is a fine player and has been a great Chief. But in the end, football is a business....to the players, to the owners and to the NFL. And the salary cap means Berry will almost assuredly wind up going elsewhere. He won't be the first player I'll be sorry to see leave and he won't be the last.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Berry is a fine player and has been a great Chief. But in the end, football is a business....to the players, to the owners and to the NFL. And the salary cap means Berry will almost assuredly wind up going elsewhere. He won't be the first player I'll be sorry to see leave and he won't be the last.
    One player that I hated seeing leave was John Tait after the 2003 season. You knew that Willie Roaf was nearing retirement & by letting Tait walk, they had no replacement for Roaf when he retired, and the downhill slide started once Will Shields also retired a year later.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    One player that I hated seeing leave was John Tait after the 2003 season. You knew that Willie Roaf was nearing retirement & by letting Tait walk, they had no replacement for Roaf when he retired, and the downhill slide started once Will Shields also retired a year later.
    +1. It was one thing to see Tait go, he'd had some issues with Peterson, but when they didn't draft a replacement for him on the OL the red flags went up for me. They didn't seriously address the O-line again until Pioli's (?!?!!) last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    +1. It was one thing to see Tait go, he'd had some issues with Peterson, but when they didn't draft a replacement for him on the OL the red flags went up for me. They didn't seriously address the O-line again until Pioli's (?!?!!) last year.
    That's right and it was a major factor in the Chiefs having the worst record in the AFC from 2007 - 2012.