Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast

Thread: If the 2013 draftees step up?

Default If the 2013 draftees step up?

I find myself reading this board and it seems to be in such a panic. Rightfully so maybe, we got destroyed in the first off-season phase of free agency. We do have some holes primarily in depth some with more immediate needs. However if fisher, Kelce, commings, Cooper, Catapano if these guys can step up and some contribute some start and do well. How much stress does that relieve surrounding this team?

Personally I think this team is not in bad shape and you have to love the freedom and flexibility we have with our first round pick. Ya we are limited with our number of picks but the potential to land any number of players at 23 or lower if we can trade back who can immediately contribute is crazy and at the end of the day that's all you can ask for.

Bottum line we have to trust what Dorsey and Reid are doing and assume they have a plan until they prove otherwise. I'm excited for draft day because I have absolutely zero idea what te chiefs will do. However all the people that could be available I dot see very many that the chiefs could take and I would be upset because they could all contribute. It's gumna be exciting and I can't wait to see what happens.

What do u guys think about beig able to move back a few slots and grab Jimmy Ward. And maybe being able to grab Moncrief or Huff in the 3rd. I saw recently a mock that had no QBs going in the first. I think if pick 23 comes around and the QBs are still on the board were gunna have teams calling about trading up to get the guy they want. I would be pleased with ward and a WR to start te draft.

I know Ward is kinda a hard to pick to gauge where he will go but with the amount of safety activity during Free Agency he might slip. I would love to get Pryor but would be happy with Ward also because he can play man coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by KCWildcat3 View Post
    What do u guys think about beig able to move back a few slots and grab Jimmy Ward. And maybe being able to grab Moncrief or Huff in the 3rd. I saw recently a mock that had no QBs going in the first. I think if pick 23 comes around and the QBs are still on the board were gunna have teams calling about trading up to get the guy they want. I would be pleased with ward and a WR to start te draft.

I know Ward is kinda a hard to pick to gauge where he will go but with the amount of safety activity during Free Agency he might slip. I would love to get Pryor but would be happy with Ward also because he can play man coverage.
    I believe that if they wanted to take Ward, they would be best served to trade down into the 2nd round like you suggested. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see them wait until later rounds to take DB's given the players that they've had private visits with.

Don't know if Moncrief will make it to round 3, but there is a good chance that the Wisconsin WR, Jared Abbrederis will. Polished route runner with 4.45 speed that needs a year in the weight room, but by year two would probably be a starter. Tore up Ohio State last year with 10 catches and 207 yards.

But like you said about a trade-down, a QB could fall or there could be a CB that falls ( Dennard of Mich. St.) to #23 that SF might want to come up to get & they have the ammo to make Dorsey an offer he probably won't be able to refuse.

Rumors have it that during the extension talkes yesterday, the Chiefs did contact Eric Berry asking for an extension, and he refused it and is basically trying to force the Chiefs to over spend just as Pioli did for him in the first place and will probably test Free agency.

So considering the cap hits, Berry, Flowers and Shawn Smith bring to this team. I wouldn't be shocked to see the Chiefs go Corner or safety with the first over all. I think they believe the receiver position is better off than most think. I also think they are looking for a replacement at OLB to replace Hali.

This team was one of the youngest in the league last year. I believe they are looking to get younger and cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Rumors have it that during the extension talkes yesterday, the Chiefs did contact Eric Berry asking for an extension, and he refused it and is basically trying to force the Chiefs to over spend just as Pioli did for him in the first place and will probably test Free agency.

So considering the cap hits, Berry, Flowers and Shawn Smith bring to this team. I wouldn't be shocked to see the Chiefs go Corner or safety with the first over all. I think they believe the receiver position is better off than most think. I also think they are looking for a replacement at OLB to replace Hali.

This team was one of the youngest in the league last year. I believe they are looking to get younger and cheaper.
    TopekaRoy had said the same thing & with Alex, Poe, and Justin Houston being higher priorities, my prediction of a parting of the ways may come to pass. In fact, he could very well be draft day trade-bait in a couple of weeks.

Berry is a solid contributor on the Defense, but he's not the "be all, end all" of the Chiefs Defense, nor is he irreplaceable like a great many seem to think. And Dorsey is NOT going to overspend on Berry and wouldn't have drafted him with that #5 overall pick in 2010, anyway. People had better get it figured out that Dorsey isn't going to cater to the hero-worshipers or fantasy footballers when it comes to building the Chiefs.

Where did you hear this, Seek?

From the workout lists I've seen so far...This is probably going to be a defense-heavy draft. Although it wouldn't be the end of the world, really think that passing up on a WR this draft, and putting the offense's hopes back in the hands of Bowe or Avery would bring back the same results (more dropped passes, no separation, sloppy route running).

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post

From the workout lists I've seen so far...This is probably going to be a defense-heavy draft. Although it wouldn't be the end of the world, really think that passing up on a WR this draft, and putting the offense's hopes back in the hands of Bowe or Avery would bring back the same results (more dropped passes, no separation, sloppy route running).
    I could see Dorsey/Reid targeting Jared Abbrederis, the WR from Wisconsin in the middle rounds. Not an instant starter this year, perhaps, but by year 2, he could be a Jordy Nelson type and very solid outside receiver. He runs 4.45 and is a very skilled route runner. He caught 73 passes for 1,051 yards with seven touchdowns in 2013 for the Badgers.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post

Local Radio heads were talking about the Alex Smith Contract talks and stating that J. Dorsey made some big mistakes last year by over paying players, like Bowe, Devito, Colquitt, Chase Daniels that he is probably not the best in contract negotiations and has realized his mistakes.

So while talking about possibly drafting a QB this year, because it may not be feasible to pay Alex. They also mentioned that Eric Berry negotiations didn't go well and he is now not entertaining talks of an extension. As previously stated though, I did state it was Rumors.

Dorsey didn't overpay Bowe. That was Pioli, wasn't it?
    So while talking about possibly drafting a QB this year, because it may not be feasible to pay Alex. They also mentioned that Eric Berry negotiations didn't go well and he is now not entertaining talks of an extension. As previously stated though, I did state it was Rumors.
    I THOUGHT so. I was just guessing based on his "big announcement coming" tweet the day Desean was released. Actually releasing Berry after next season should give us all the money we need to extend Alex's contract. There is also a good possibility that we could cut ties with any or all of Bowe, Flowers and Hali.

We won't be able to keep them all. Who we release will depend on who is ready to step up and fill those positions.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Actually Topeka, I'm pretty sure it was Dorsey that negotiated the deal with Bowe's agent. It was certainly done during last year's off season. The 2013 season was the first year of his new contract.

Contract negotiating and managing the salary cap are areas that I have some concerns about Dorsey's capabilities. But then, it should not be all that great a worry, as his plan is to build the team through the draft which after a few of years will free up a lot of cap space.

You mentioned Bowe, Flowers and Hali. Here is how they effect us this year and next.

Bowe this year--cost = $12 million--dead money = $22 million--cap savings = ($10.25 million)

Bowe 2015--cost = $14 million--dead money = $10.5 million--cap savings = $3.5 million

So Bowe isn't going anywhere until at least the end of this season but would be a good candidate for a trade in 2015, maybe even a cut if he does not run up some good numbers this year.

Flowers this year--cost = $10.5 million--dead money = $7 million--cap savings = $3.5 million

Flowers 2015--cost = $11.5 million--dead money = $4 million--cap savings = $7.5 million

So trading or cutting Flowers after this season would free up some pretty good cap space

Hali this year--cost = $11.5 million--dead money = $5.9 million--cap savings = $5.5 million

Hali 2015--cost = $11.9 million--dead money = $2.9 million--cap savings = $9 million

Hali will be a Free Agent after 2015. Extending, trading or cutting him this year would have freed up some cap space. Since it hasn't happened yet I expect there might be an effort to trade him next year. If not then I expect he'll play out his contract and be left to test free agency.

All in all, I think it unlikely any of them goes anywhere this year, but I can certainly see Flowers or Hali on another team in 2015 and possibly even Bowe if his performance is not a good bit better this year than last.

(All information sourced from overthecap.com)

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Actually Topeka, I'm pretty sure it was Dorsey that negotiated the deal with Bowe's agent. It was certainly done during last year's off season. The 2013 season was the first year of his new contract.
    You're correct. Dorsey became GM on Jan 13, 2013 and Bowe didn't sign his new deal until March 4. I had mis-remembered the timing.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)