Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs Salary by position

Default Chiefs Salary by position

Guys on the local radio were talking to Adam Teicher today.

Based on the NFL Average the Chiefs salary cap this year is right on average for the NFL in every position except for Offensive Line where the Chiefs Average 12 millon and league average is 21 Million.

League average for WR is 9 millions and the chiefs are spending 12 million.

So most people are wanting us to draft WR with our first after this is the highest cap hit for the Chiefs. Are you all willing to cut ties with Bowe if we draft a WR. Either this year or next to balance out the Cap.

If a WR is drafted and he proves to be a bonafide playmaker, then yes, you could cut ties with Bowe after 2014, provided there isn't a huge cap hit.

I'm a huge Bowe supporter despite his stupid antics over the years. He was not worth last year's salary and had better show marked improvement. It wasn't all his fault as Al doesn't like throwing in traffic and Bowe seldom is wide open. It took a long while until they were on the same page.

In a WCO I expected 80+ catches. If DBo isn’t close to that he isn’t worth his cap figure and must be cut.
    ...in my opinion

We can't cut Bowe this year because it will cost us $12M to keep him and $22.5M to release him. Cutting him actually costs the team an extra $10.5M. (source)

If we cut him after June 1st, 2015 we save $3.5M but we are still on the hook for $10.5M of his $14M contract. (source)

None of that is really relevant as to who we take with the first pick, however because of the new rookie wage scale. A WR or anyone else taken at 23 will get paid a first year salary of $1,590,018 and a signing bonus of $4,680,072 (pro-rated over 4 yrs) or $1,987,522 first yr cap hit and $8,745.096 over 4 yrs. (source)

Glad to help/
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Not much question that Bowe was not worth his paycheck last year. But being realistic, based on his performance last year and his Cap Number this year, nobody would be willing to trade for him. So we can't trade him. We can't cut him because of the dead money, so we are stuck with him until 1) he lives up to his paycheck or 2) the dead money becomes low enough that we could trade or cut him.

So all we can really do with Mr. Bowe right now is hope that steps up, acts like a man and starts earning that huge contract.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Not much question that Bowe was not worth his paycheck last year. But being realistic, based on his performance last year and his Cap Number this year, nobody would be willing to trade for him. So we can't trade him. We can't cut him because of the dead money, so we are stuck with him until 1) he lives up to his paycheck or 2) the dead money becomes low enough that we could trade or cut him.

So all we can really do with Mr. Bowe right now is hope that steps up, acts like a man and starts earning that huge contract.
    We could trade him and still pay some of his salary, that is done from time to time in the NFL.

Uncommon, but not totally unheard of. But looking at his numbers last year nobody would be much interested and with our cap situation we couldn't afford to pay a thin dime towards his salary even if somebody was interested.

So that leaves us next year. And what "could happen" next year all depends on what he does this coming year.

People talk about trading Hali, Flowers or Bowe, but you CAN'T. Their age combined with their contracts makes it impossible. There aren't going to be any takers.

If bowe would show up in the regular season like he did in the playoff game then i dont think we could plain a whole lot. Still think we overpaid though. But I could live with the bowe that showed up in the playoff game.

Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    We could trade him and still pay some of his salary, that is done from time to time in the NFL.
    When? I've never heard of such a thing in the NFL. It happens in baseball all of the time. I guess they could convert some of a player's salary into a roster bonus paid immediately before trading. I can't think of that ever happening, though.
    ...in my opinion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast