Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: we can not give Smith what he is looking for...

Default we can not give Smith what he is looking for...

Latest report Alex is looking for a deal in the 14 to 17 million range. you have got to be kidding. it is starting to become clear to me the two second rounders to land him was way to much. how can we give a qb of alex smiths talents 15 million a year. these qb salaries are getting out of control. i hope teddy bridgewater falls to #23 and we have tyler bray in the fold who is an extremely talented qb. wonder where his development is at? i am a big alex smith fan. i am. love his leadership and skills but i just dont think we can give him that kind of deal.

i will add that i think the eric berry and justin houston deals are more important to get done. i want smith to stay in kc but that kind of deal would be crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by stevefuller View Post
    i will add that i think the eric berry and justin houston deals are more important to get done. i want smith to stay in kc but that kind of deal would be crazy.
    Eric Berry more important than a quality QB? No, he's not. Safeties are a dime-a-dozen.

Plus, the Chiefs didn't give up two 2nd round choices for a loaner QB. This deal will get done with Alex.

Hence the debate. Just how good is Alex Smith? $14-17M is far below the market value for a top tier QB. Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, and even Jay Cutler received more from their teams. Both sides know this. We'll see how far this goes. We already saw the ramifications both ATL and BAL suffered last season as a result of overpaying B grade QB.

SteveF, It's an unpopular opinion, but I agree and always have. Two R2 was too much to give up for a QB that had no future in SF. I'd have walked away from the table and taken my lumps with a lesser QB like Ryan Fitzpatrick. KC may or may not have made the playoffs, but would have more cap space, last year's R2 already playing and another this year to draft a potential QBOTF in R1 or R2. The latter still sounds like the better option considering the team is rebuilding and purging salaries.
    ...in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    Hence the debate. Just how good is Alex Smith? $14-17M is far below the market value for a top tier QB. Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, and even Jay Cutler received more from their teams. Both sides know this. We'll see how far this goes. We already saw the ramifications both ATL and BAL suffered last season as a result of overpaying B grade QB.

SteveF, It's an unpopular opinion, but I agree and always have. Two R2 was too much to give up for a QB that had no future in SF. I'd have walked away from the table and taken my lumps with a lesser QB like Ryan Fitzpatrick. KC may or may not have made the playoffs, but would have more cap space, last year's R2 already playing and another this year to draft a potential QBOTF in R1 or R2. The latter still sounds like the better option considering the team is rebuilding and purging salaries.
    Since when are we rebuilding? When did we start? I think you are incorrect about that part. I dont ha e a problem with what hes asking for I think it is fair. Atleast he knows hes no brady and ask to be overpaid like flacco which I actually like smith over flacco but just flacco was able to rip amd screw his team I dont see smith doing that.
    Berry is the one im not sure if he deserves what he will want when he gets extended or becomes a free agent. Hes a little to inconsistent for me to pay him as a top safety. He needs to show up more in the passing game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    .....this year to draft a potential QBOTF in R1 or R2. The latter still sounds like the better option considering the team is rebuilding and purging salaries.
    Draft a QB, huh? Hate to tell you this, but the Chiefs are ZERO for 17 drafting QB's since 1970. Regardless of the regime in place, or what round that QB was drafted in, or what school that QB came from. Every one of them has been a BUST.

Even Don Klosterman failed with his choice of Pete Beathard in the early 60's and Klosterman had a track record that few GM's could match when it came to drafting players.

Dorsey/Reid did the right thing going a different route to address the Chiefs QB situation, as opposed to spending high draft picks on QB's and they are not going to draft a better QB than Alex or draft a QB better than Bray or Daniels. Forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Eric Berry more important than a quality QB? No, he's not. Safeties are a dime-a-dozen.

Plus, the Chiefs didn't give up two 2nd round choices for a loaner QB. This deal will get done with Alex.
    This. Reid went after Smith the second he put on the arrowhead ball cap.

Right now the back/forth reports are just part of the business. After seeing the Tony Romo deal I'd bet a lot of agents are pushing for unreal money.

i am concerned that because we have given 2 seconds they will feel as if they have to get a deal completed with alex smith. i understand andy reid likes smith and wanted him in philly for years but at what annual salary? i think the 11 to 12 million is more than fair. i see this things killing us with what we can become. i see a one step forward we have a starting qb and three steps back cause we dont keep d bowe in house(becomes cap cut) we dont get eric berry extension and if he hits the market you just wait and see what he gets there...i like alex smith but no way at 15 million a year!

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Draft a QB, huh? Hate to tell you this, but the Chiefs are ZERO for 17 drafting QB's since 1970. Regardless of the regime in place, or what round that QB was drafted in, or what school that QB came from. Every one of them has been a BUST.

Even Don Klosterman failed with his choice of Pete Beathard in the early 60's and Klosterman had a track record that few GM's could match when it came to drafting players.

Dorsey/Reid did the right thing going a different route to address the Chiefs QB situation, as opposed to spending high draft picks on QB's and they are not going to draft a better QB than Alex or draft a QB better than Bray or Daniels. Forget it.
    Are you proposing there is some kind of curse? I bet Colts fans were glad their team didn't give up after Art Schlister and Jeff George busted. Seems other teams get it right once in a while. If GM savior John Dorsey is draft guru everyone says he is, drafting a future QB should be a snap.

Daniels and Bray -- gimme a break!
    ...in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    Since when are we rebuilding? When did we start? I think you are incorrect about that part. I dont ha e a problem with what hes asking for I think it is fair. Atleast he knows hes no brady and ask to be overpaid like flacco which I actually like smith over flacco but just flacco was able to rip amd screw his team I dont see smith doing that.
    Berry is the one im not sure if he deserves what he will want when he gets extended or becomes a free agent. Hes a little to inconsistent for me to pay him as a top safety. He needs to show up more in the passing game.
    I doubt Tom Condon feels that way. The story I read was that P.Manning wanted to be paid less than Brady. Condon went to PM's wife behind his back and took more money from the Broncs. Apparently PM was upset about it.

The agent's livelihood is dependent on getting as much for his client. Condon is a viper. I doubt there will be a hometown discount for KC. Al will get the best rate possible for a player of his ability.

Finally, what do you call it when you are replacing established starters with lesser or unproven players, en masse, while you purge off of your salary cap? Sounds like rebuilding to me.
    ...in my opinion

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast