Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: we can not give Smith what he is looking for...

Default we can not give Smith what he is looking for...

Latest report Alex is looking for a deal in the 14 to 17 million range. you have got to be kidding. it is starting to become clear to me the two second rounders to land him was way to much. how can we give a qb of alex smiths talents 15 million a year. these qb salaries are getting out of control. i hope teddy bridgewater falls to #23 and we have tyler bray in the fold who is an extremely talented qb. wonder where his development is at? i am a big alex smith fan. i am. love his leadership and skills but i just dont think we can give him that kind of deal.

The Alex Smith scenario in KC is not the same as the Matt Cassel scenario. Pioli handed Cassel a big contract before he ever took a snap and never did bring in a viable backup to him. Alex proved last season that he is a quality QB & the best QB the Chiefs have had since Trent Green. And Alex showed more poise and command than we ever dreamed of seeing from Cassel and he did the same in SF in 2011 and 2012.

Bottom line is, if the Chiefs want to keep him, then they are going to have to work out a deal with him. Let him walk, and you may run the risk of having the Chiefs go right back to being bottom-feeders with no chance of any post-season success.

They can't let Alex walk, unless they're willing to gamble on Bray being the guy in 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    We all want our Chiefs to win a playoff game and eventually a Super Bowl, but the salary cap is the salary cap and it is in place to help the owners become even more wealthy.

So what is your solution?
    The salary cap is in place to keep idiots like Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder from totally blowing out the salary structure. It's there so the Pittsburghs, Green Bays and yes Kansas Cities can compete with the big markets.

There is no doubt the NFL is always looking to make a buck. So what? That's why you own a business, isn't it? To make money, right?
    ...in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    We all want our Chiefs to win a playoff game and eventually a Super Bowl, but the salary cap is the salary cap and the NFL is in place to help the owners become even more wealthy.

So what is your solution?
    There, IFIFY!
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Without smith were back to first pick in draft!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    The salary cap is in place to keep idiots like Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder from totally blowing out the salary structure. It's there so the Pittsburghs, Green Bays and yes Kansas Cities can compete with the big markets.

There is no doubt the NFL is always looking to make a buck. So what? That's why you own a business, isn't it? To make money, right?
    I think you misinterpretted my post. My bad for not being clearer. I'm not against private industry. I owned a small business and still would if Pan American World Airways hadn't gone out of business owing me $283,000. And I currently work for a small business my family owns. I am not anti-business.

I understand why the salary cap is in place. But as a Chiefs fan I am annoyed as hell that the salary cap is pinching the Chiefs so much this year. I am not a "class warfare" guy. Just a Chiefs fan.
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 04-28-2014 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    The Alex Smith scenario in KC is not the same as the Matt Cassel scenario. Pioli handed Cassel a big contract before he ever took a snap and never did bring in a viable backup to him. Alex proved last season that he is a quality QB & the best QB the Chiefs have had since Trent Green. And Alex showed more poise and command than we ever dreamed of seeing from Cassel and he did the same in SF in 2011 and 2012.

Bottom line is, if the Chiefs want to keep him, then they are going to have to work out a deal with him. Let him walk, and you may run the risk of having the Chiefs go right back to being bottom-feeders with no chance of any post-season success.

They can't let Alex walk, unless they're willing to gamble on Bray being the guy in 2015.

Either sign him with other FA and win now or let him walk and build for the future. It's time for Dorsey to stop half assing his plans.

Quote Originally Posted by NWO View Post
    Either sign him with other FA and win now or let him walk and build for the future. It's time for Dorsey to stop half assing his plans.
    They don't have the cap space right at the moment to sign Smith or other FA's. There is no half-arsing about it. They may have to wait until the season is over.

They don't have the cap space right at the moment to sign Smith or other FA's. There is no half-arsing about it. They may have to wait until the season is over.
    And that might not be an entirely bad thing. A couple of months ago I was all for extending Alex Smith's contract. Having seen the new schedule I'm not so sure. Waiting until the end of the season is a gamble. If we make the playoffs again or maybe even win a playoff game, then Smith's agent will be looking for an even bigger contract than what he is looking for now. But we have a tough schedule this year and if we went 7-9 or 8-8 we might be able to sign a new contract with Smith for $11-$13 million instead of the $14-$17 million they are looking for now. But that is a crazy gamble. Even if we had a not so great season this year Smith could force us to franchise him and then we'd be paying him what???? $18-$19 million????

So in the end, I guess the big question is "Do we have somebody that can take over the QB slot in 2015 or 2016--2016 if we were to Franchise Smith for a year"? And would that somebody be any cheaper than about $15 million? And would he be as good or better than Smith?

One thing I have noticed is that contract extensions often have a 1st year salary that is crazy low but with a big signing bonus that is guaranteed spread over the life of the contract. So it is easily conceivable that we could extend Smith and still stay inside the salary cap this year. If we guaranteed $30-$40 million over 5 years we could probably get him for about $8 million this year as far as the cap is concerned (an increase of only $500K over the current contract. Of course we would wind up having to let some highly paid veterans go in 2015 as a result. But then it seems like we'll probably do that anyway.

Glad I'm not Dorsey.

So Dorsey can give an average player another huge deal?

Quote Originally Posted by NWO View Post
    So Dorsey can give an average player another huge deal?
    What average player has Dorsey given a huge deal?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast