Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: we can not give Smith what he is looking for...

Default we can not give Smith what he is looking for...

Latest report Alex is looking for a deal in the 14 to 17 million range. you have got to be kidding. it is starting to become clear to me the two second rounders to land him was way to much. how can we give a qb of alex smiths talents 15 million a year. these qb salaries are getting out of control. i hope teddy bridgewater falls to #23 and we have tyler bray in the fold who is an extremely talented qb. wonder where his development is at? i am a big alex smith fan. i am. love his leadership and skills but i just dont think we can give him that kind of deal.

Quote Originally Posted by stevefuller View Post
    i am concerned that because we have given 2 seconds they will feel as if they have to get a deal completed with alex smith. i understand andy reid likes smith and wanted him in philly for years but at what annual salary? i think the 11 to 12 million is more than fair. i see this things killing us with what we can become. i see a one step forward we have a starting qb and three steps back cause we dont keep d bowe in house(becomes cap cut) we dont get eric berry extension and if he hits the market you just wait and see what he gets there...i like alex smith but no way at 15 million a year!
    While it's true the market in Philly could've afforded a different contract..look at how they chose to spend their money (the dream team) and look at how that worked out. And no, don't see this team spending 15 mil a year on a QB.

Not convinced that losing Bowe or Berry would be as huge of a step back as losing Alex Smith would be. Smith's performance from word go, as well as his performance in the playoffs should be taken in consideration compared to what Bowe or Berry accomplished during the season. What has Berry done that's been so great? Bowe has all the talent in world, but he also has a track record of bad decisions and drops for no reason.

I have said this a million times I never understand the people who insist on having to draft a qb just to be able to say we drafted that QB. People complain about how bad we have been with the "rethreads" but the drafting success hasn't been any better. So if we should give up on one shouldn't we give up the other and just pack it in and go home?

Alex Smith was pretty damn good at the end of last year. I'll take that over hoping that a rookie turns out given that there is no Luck in the draft.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I have said this a million times I never understand the people who insist on having to draft a qb just to be able to say we drafted that QB. People complain about how bad we have been with the "rethreads" but the drafting success hasn't been any better. So if we should give up on one shouldn't we give up the other and just pack it in and go home?

Alex Smith was pretty damn good at the end of last year. I'll take that over hoping that a rookie turns out given that there is no Luck in the draft.
    When it comes to QB's...Believe it boils down to whether or not you've got a head coach that can develop rookie QB's. Until Reid hit the door, KC has not had a coach that's got a track record of making good QB's since Hank Stram. As much as I liked Marty, he was better off with signing veteran QB's than he ever was developing one (the only young QB I can recall that progressed under Marty was Drew Brees.) We shouldn't ever give up on the idea of a QBOTF, but I think that KC really has to look at the hand it's been dealt and consider if our QB situation really dictates needing to draft another QB, over other team needs.

Reid still needs to prove he can do it again in KC, but Tyler Bray's in the fold, and Chase Daniel really stepped up his game last preseason and during the last SD game.

Pay the man

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    Are you proposing there is some kind of curse? I bet Colts fans were glad their team didn't give up after Art Schlister and Jeff George busted. Seems other teams get it right once in a while. If GM savior John Dorsey is draft guru everyone says he is, drafting a future QB should be a snap.

Daniels and Bray -- gimme a break!
    Call it whatever you want to, but regardless, you can take the ZERO for 17 since 1970 a FACT. I'm remember hearing the same song being sung just like you're singing about drafting a QB "being a snap" for Pioli/Haley and how did Stanzi work out?

Give you a break, huh? Suppose Bray didn't have the off-field issues and went back for his senior season and had a better year, than he did his junior season. Where do you think he'd go in this draft? Probably no lower than 3rd round & try naming one QB in this upcoming draft that has more upside than Bray does or can throw that football better. There aren't any. QB in this draft is a wasted pick.

The only QB I know of that the Chiefs have interviewed so far is Garappolo. There's been a lot of teams kicking the tires on him, so I'm not sure he'd be around past the second round anyway.

My hope is that Reid earns his rep in KC as a coach that makes QB's rich. Tyler has an incredible arm, and hopefully this preseason we'll get a good chance to see more of it.

Stanzi didn't get much of a chance, when he did he looked like a deer in the headlights. Between Pioli's interest in O-line and Brian Daboll's offensive scheme, he could not have been drafted into a worse situation.

While I also think $14-17 million (about 11-13% of total salary cap) is crazy money to pay for Alex Smith, I can't get upset with Reid, Dorsey or Hunt if we do in fact pay that kind of money.

Look at Bowe--$56 million for 5 years--$11.2 million per year for the contract.

Eric Berry--$50+ million for 6 years--$8.34 million per year for the contract. (And that contract goes back to 2010)

Look at what the Free Agents we lost got.....

Brandon Albert--$47 million for 5 years--$9.4 million per year.

Tyson Jackson--$25 million for 5 years--$5 million per year.

Jon Asamoah--$22.5 million for 5 years--$4.5 million per year.

Geoff Schwartz--$16.8 million for 4 years--$4.2 million per year.

Dexter McCluster--$9 million for 3 years--$3 million per year.

With these kinds of contracts is it any wonder Alex Smith is looking for big money?

From what I read Kaepernick is perfectly happy to play out his rookie contract (ends in 2014) and has no interest in talking for less than $20 million. And a lot of people thought he would get it until this latest legal hassle. But if he has a good year this coming year (and the legal problem doesn't put him in prison) his demand for $20 million surely won't go down. That is why he will probably pay the bimbo $1 million to just go away)

Is Kaepernick really worth 25-33% more than Smith?

Sadly, the Chiefs do not set the market for player worth. The NFL as a whole does by what they pay people.

And the market says a slightly better than average veteran QB is worth about $8-10 million, a good veteran QB is worth about $10-14 million, an "almost great" veteran QB is worth around $14-18 million and a "great" veteran QB is worth around $20 million.

Given the market, I think we will have done well if we can get Smith for between $13 and $15 million....especially if a decent chunk of that money was in incentives for making the playoffs and winning playoff games. (Dunno if that is legal).

I think Alex Smith should be a $12-$13 million QB. But I suspect we will wind up paying him about $15 million.
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 04-24-2014 at 01:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro_Angler View Post
    Pay the man

Woa! Short, sweet and to the point!

...I like it!

bottom line if your going to sign a qb at 15 million( iwould not give smith a dime over 10) u had better believe he is capable of taking you to the game and winning it...cause when you put that much cap space at qb your team roster will feel the affects!

Quote Originally Posted by stevefuller View Post
    bottom line if your going to sign a qb at 15 million( iwould not give smith a dime over 10) u had better believe he is capable of taking you to the game and winning it...cause when you put that much cap space at qb your team roster will feel the affects!
    In a way, you are right. But let's not kid ourselves.....if we don't pay Smith somewhere around $15 million he will become a free agent and go elsewhere where some team will certainly pay him $15 million or so. That is the way the NFL is today. There are no "home town discounts" except at the lower end of the pay scale.

So what are we supposed to do? Is Bray ready to step up? Chase Daniel?

Chase Daniel is going to cost us $3.4 million this year. $4.8 million next year. And that is the end of his contract. If he was the starter then and we were anything but bottom feeders he'd be wanting at least $10 million. A lot more than that if we made the playoffs.

Tyler Bray....Now Tyler is CHEAP. He cost roughly $400K last year, will cost us $500K this year and next year he's still only $600K. And then his contract is over. Because he was undrafted even if he did well then maybe we could sign him for somewhere around $6-$7 million, but I suspect it would be closer to $8-$10 million. That is what any halfway decent starting quarterback gets.

If you don't want to pay Alex Smith $15 million AND carry Daniels and Bray, then you have 2 choices......

1) Pay Alex Smith $15 million and dump Chase Daniel. That would save us $3.4 million this year and $4.8 million the next year. That would just about cover the difference between the $15 million we paid Smith and the $10 million you say is Smith's maximum value. But do you really want nothing behind Smith other than Tyler Bray? That is a pretty big gamble. Especially with the "concussion protocall" these days.

2) Or we could go with Chase Daniel and Tyler Bray. That would save us a TON of cash this year and next year but that seems like a pretty crazy gamble to me.

Steve.....I don't like the idea of paying Alex Smith $14-$17 million any more than you do. But instead of just telling us that Smith ain't worth a dime more than $10 million, please tell us your alternate solution.

We all want our Chiefs to win a playoff game and eventually a Super Bowl, but the salary cap is the salary cap and it is in place to help the owners become even more wealthy.

So what is your solution?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast