Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If this WR is there at #23.......

Default If this WR is there at #23.......

....then for all those wanting a WR to be drafted at #23, you have to seriously consider this guy, if he's there at #23. You can't coach 4.33 speed and this guy can play in the slot or outside and could force opposing teams to keep a Safety deep at all times. Great character guy who's never missed a game on any level & if he plays in the NFL like he did in college, then he'll add an explosive element to the Chiefs receiving corp that Dex couldn't add. And yes, he can return kicks.

Sam Mellinger of the KC Star has projected the Chiefs to take him at #23 & if we remember what Dorsey said about taking the "best player who is the best fit for the Chiefs", then this guy fits that bill.

There are varying perspectives, of course, on who the Chiefs should take with their top draft pick, but one thing to remember is that the Chiefs most likely won't be able to cover all bases in the 2014 draft and I personally believe it's going to take a combination of this 2014 draft and the 2015 draft to get this team over the hump. With that said, I have to keep an open mind to an explosive play-maker like this guy that has the potential to not only be a game-changer but a season changer, as well. No hero-worship involved with considering this guy. It clearly comes from a football standpoint.

Watch the vid below and post your thoughts.

One thing to remember is the Chiefs were in the market for Emmanuel Sanders, so that should tell us they're in the market for a WR somewhere in this upcoming draft. And I wouldn't be surprised if Avery gets traded to somebody.

Isn't that what we picked up Dressler for? We have mcClusters replacement already. I'm still swayed Tuitt if he's there

Highlight reels are highlight reels and everybody looks like a superstar. That said, I saw everything you want in a receiver....good hands, able to shrug off hits and maintain possession, reasonably good at gaining separation, smart runner after the catch. I can see no reason to complain if he winds up on the roster.

personally i like three players at 23
    odell beckham, ryan shazier and calvin pryor
    i believe only shazier will be available at 23
    brandon cooks looks awesome i do not believe he falls to 23 if he is available we would most definately consider him
    then select bruce ellington wr at #87...sure we have other needs but what would that do for our receiving core\adding cooks and ellington?
    guess what i am saying is if you can add two potential play makers in one draft....its something ive been toying with for several days. i must add if bridgewater falls you have to consider him.
    arrowhead addict had a scenario where anthony barr falls to #23(will not happen but if it did...you have to take him right?)
    i just am hoping we do not draft out of need...you have to stick to your board and go after the best player available even in the third round when we get on the clock in the third there will be players you never thought would fall to that spot
    i still believe we will bring in a veteran or two offense lineman(guards) ....i would expect dorsey and reid to decide who they are going to extend a smith berry houston etc etc and this will create cap space for a season or two.

herm edwards was on espn draft show last night hammering away about how so many teams make the mistake of drafting out of need and not sticking to your board and getting the better players even if it isnt a specific need
    i do not know how to add video like dempsey did on cooks but if you have time check out bruce ellington wr south carolina...mel kiper said a couple nights ago he may end up as the steal of the draft
    "has shown the history of making the game changing play" compares to randall cobb wr(who i wanted so bad in the 2011 draft we select rodney hudson in the 2nd round instead)....cooks and ellington i would welcome that duo in a split second

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    One thing to remember is the Chiefs were in the market for Emmanuel Sanders, so that should tell us they're in the market for a WR somewhere in this upcoming draft. And I wouldn't be surprised if Avery gets traded to somebody.
    Who's going to trade for Avery and take on his salary when they could wait until he's released and sign him cheap?
    ...in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    Who's going to trade for Avery and take on his salary when they could wait until he's released and sign him cheap?
    Try Carolina who's desperate for WR's. And the Chiefs can't release him without a cap hit, I believe. At least not this year.

7th rounder from Panthers might get it done.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 05-02-2014 at 01:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Try Carolina who's desperate for WR's. And the Chiefs can't release him without a cap hit, I believe. At least not this year.

7th rounder from Panthers might get it done.
    If for some reason all these WR's start getting snatched up left and right, and leaves some team out there looking for a WR, it might actually be feasible for someone to trade for him. His cap hit is very small.

Avery is under contract through 2015. His cap number was as follows....2013=$1.8 million (dead money $3.25 million); 2014=$2.85 million (dead money $2.0 million); 2015=$4.05 million (dead money $500K).

Cutting him this year would yield cap savings of $850K. A team trading for him this year would be taking a cap hit of 6.9 million over 2 years with the ability to cut him for the 2015 season for cap savings of $3.55 million.

With the way the contract is structured he would be VERY attractive as trade bait for someone needing some depth at WR. It's easy to see him cutting traded, maybe even cut this year.

My bet is that unless we get a "sure thing" WR in the draft we'll keep him this year and trade or cut him next year just to free up that $3.55 million.

Avery is under contract through 2015. His cap number was as follows....2013=$1.8 million (dead money $3.25 million); 2014=$2.85 million (dead money $2.0 million); 2015=$4.05 million (dead money $500K).

Cutting him this year would yield cap savings of $850K. A team trading for him this year would be taking a cap hit of 6.9 million over 2 years with the ability to cut him for the 2015 season for cap savings of $3.55 million.

With the way the contract is structured he would be VERY attractive as trade bait for someone needing some depth at WR. It's easy to see him getting traded, maybe even cut this year.

My bet is that unless we get a "sure thing" WR in the draft we'll keep him this year and trade or cut him next year just to free up that $3.55 million.

(Cap numbers from overthecap.com)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast