Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If this WR is there at #23.......

Default If this WR is there at #23.......

....then for all those wanting a WR to be drafted at #23, you have to seriously consider this guy, if he's there at #23. You can't coach 4.33 speed and this guy can play in the slot or outside and could force opposing teams to keep a Safety deep at all times. Great character guy who's never missed a game on any level & if he plays in the NFL like he did in college, then he'll add an explosive element to the Chiefs receiving corp that Dex couldn't add. And yes, he can return kicks.

Sam Mellinger of the KC Star has projected the Chiefs to take him at #23 & if we remember what Dorsey said about taking the "best player who is the best fit for the Chiefs", then this guy fits that bill.

There are varying perspectives, of course, on who the Chiefs should take with their top draft pick, but one thing to remember is that the Chiefs most likely won't be able to cover all bases in the 2014 draft and I personally believe it's going to take a combination of this 2014 draft and the 2015 draft to get this team over the hump. With that said, I have to keep an open mind to an explosive play-maker like this guy that has the potential to not only be a game-changer but a season changer, as well. No hero-worship involved with considering this guy. It clearly comes from a football standpoint.

Watch the vid below and post your thoughts.

Thanks for the info ctchiefsfan.

With all that, I'd still take Cooks over any Safety like Clinton-Dix or Pryor with that #23 overall pick and I don't care how much money is already being spent on the WR's.

Glad to......

One thing that concerns me a lot is Bowe and Berry. We have a fortune tied up in those two and I can't say that either one of them performed up to their cost last year.

Whether our first pick is # 23 or we trade down I'd like to see us address one of those positions with our first pick--whatever it winds up being. Both of them need to up their game this season or go away. Bowe more so than Berry.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Glad to......

One thing that concerns me a lot is Bowe and Berry. We have a fortune tied up in those two and I can't say that either one of them performed up to their cost last year.

Whether our first pick is # 23 or we trade down I'd like to see us address one of those positions with our first pick--whatever it winds up being. Both of them need to up their game this season or go away. Bowe more so than Berry.
    I can't see drafting a Safety with the top pick, without seeing what the Chiefs have with Sanders Commings. Commings is much faster than Pryor or Clinton-Dix. What would happen if the the Chiefs did draft a Safety with the top draft pick, only to have Commings win the starting job at FS by the end of pre-season? Then you've just spent a top draft pick on a backup.

With that said, it makes no sense to me to spend the top draft pick on a Safety. They'd be better served to look at that position later in the draft.

Besides, as eydugstr pointed out to me, the Chiefs will have extra picks in the 2015 draft and will be able to draft an entire Defensive backfield if they want to & probably have FA cap space to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    I can't see drafting a Safety with the top pick, without seeing what the Chiefs have with Sanders Commings. Commings is much faster than Pryor or Clinton-Dix. What would happen if the the Chiefs did draft a Safety with the top draft pick, only to have Commings win the starting job at FS by the end of pre-season? Then you've just spent a top draft pick on a backup.

With that said, it makes no sense to me to spend the top draft pick on a Safety. They'd be better served to look at that position later in the draft.

Besides, as eydugstr pointed out to me, the Chiefs will have extra picks in the 2015 draft and will be able to draft an entire Defensive backfield if they want to & probably have FA cap space to boot.
    For the most part I have no arguments with what you've said.

But as a minor point of disagreement....

1) If we pick at #23, I want to see us grabbing a WR---IF one of the big names are still available. If not, then I'd be OK with a safety--IF that player was at least close to BPA. 'Cause I figure we need a real good safety more than we need a "maybe" WR.

2) If we trade down to the 2cond round, then I would be OK with grabbing a safety if that safety seemed to be one of the BPA. 'Cause there probably won't be any big time WR talent available in the 2cond round.

With our first pick, be it round one or round two, I would prefer we draft a WR. But if when it comes time to pick, there is a substantially better safety than any WR available, then I'm good with picking that safety.

WR and Safety are areas where we have real needs. I hope that with our first pick (wherever it is) we will pick the BPA at one of these two positions.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    For the most part I have no arguments with what you've said.

But as a minor point of disagreement....

1) If we pick at #23, I want to see us grabbing a WR---IF one of the big names are still available. If not, then I'd be OK with a safety--IF that player was at least close to BPA. 'Cause I figure we need a real good safety more than we need a "maybe" WR.

2) If we trade down to the 2cond round, then I would be OK with grabbing a safety if that safety seemed to be one of the BPA. 'Cause there probably won't be any big time WR talent available in the 2cond round.

With our first pick, be it round one or round two, I would prefer we draft a WR. But if when it comes time to pick, there is a substantially better safety than any WR available, then I'm good with picking that safety.

WR and Safety are areas where we have real needs. I hope that with our first pick (wherever it is) we will pick the BPA at one of these two positions.
    Dont forget we need a de.thats how we stop qbs. We need pass rush. Im all flr trading down a.d taking de tuiit if cook isnt there any more.

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    Dont forget we need a de.thats how we stop qbs. We need pass rush. Im all flr trading down a.d taking de tuiit if cook isnt there any more.
    No arguments from me. Our secondary got torched in the last third of the season last year. One way or another we have to figure out how to stop that. Whether we do it by making the QB run for his life or by covering receivers like white on rice is not important. What DOES matter is that we never see another 25 minutes like the last 25 minutes of the playoff game last year. You can't be a contender if you give up 28 points in 28 minutes. I don't know how to fix it, but I sure as hell know it has to be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    I'm still onboard with the idea of Tuitt or possibly Hagemann in the first round, and trying for a WR in the third.

But let me propose this scenario...Let's say we're able to get our pass rusher and WR in rounds one & three. If another reciever falls to the fourth or fifth round (say Kelvin Benjiman), do you double dip at WR?

I think once you get past round 3 then you are pretty much looking for BPA regardless of "need". So many players after round 3 never make it that at round 4 and later you're just looking for that guy that can make the roster. If you wind up needing him great, if not then down the road at least you have some "trade bait" for a team that actually needs someone at that position.

On that subject, next year we are going to have 3 or 4 compensatory picks for the free agents we lost this year. IIRC we are not allowed to trade those picks. But it does free up our regular picks in those rounds for trading purposes. Perhaps if we are lucky we can trade a couple of our regular later round picks that year into an extra 2cond round pick. Be nice to have a 1st and 2 2cond round picks next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    I'm still onboard with the idea of Tuitt or possibly Hagemann in the first round, and trying for a WR in the third.

But let me propose this scenario...Let's say we're able to get our pass rusher and WR in rounds one & three. If another reciever falls to the fourth or fifth round (say Kelvin Benjiman), do you double dip at WR?
    Kevin Benjiman will never make it to the 4th or 5th round...at lowest he will go 2nd round

However, if this situation were to come true...I would hope we would be smart enough to take a first round talent in the 3-5 rounds (unlike last year when we passed on keenan allen who had 1st round talent)
    Last edited by Bortnem; 05-03-2014 at 02:06 PM.

Benjamin, to me, doesn't seem like a good fit for Reid's Offense and may be another Baldwin.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast