Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: What Will Happen with Alex Smith?

Default What Will Happen with Alex Smith?

The fact that Alex Smith has not already been signed to an extension can only mean that the Chiefs are keeping their options open heading into the draft. The Chiefs brought in Tyler Bray (arguably the QB with the most upside from the 2013 draft class) as an UDFA who has already shown some nice promise. The 2014 draft looks loaded with QB talent. If there is a QB the Chiefs think could be their franchise future there at #23, don't be shocked to see them pull the trigger. They replaced the second most important position on the team last season with their first pick... why wouldn't they do the same thing with their first pick this season?

The whole decision of whether or not to draft a QB will come down to what they truly think of Tyler Bray... NOT Alex Smith. I think Smith has priced himself out of KC. Even though the Chiefs are coming off a playoff season, it feels a lot more like the playoff season Edwards led Vermeil's Chiefs to rather than a sign of things to come. The Chiefs have maxed out their cap space and have gotten worse in doing so. This team will be facing some tough decisions in the next few seasons that will probably see Eric Berry, Tamba Hali, Derrick Johnson, Jamaal Charles, Dwayne Bowe, and Brandon Flowers among others leave the team. If those guys leave, it won't be so they can afford a guy like Alex Smith.

Also consider that the Chiefs will be stock-piling picks for the 2015 draft. They will start with 7 and will probably get at least another 3 as compensatory picks from losing Albert, McCluster, a pair of starting OGs, and Tyson Jackson. Going with a 2nd or 3rd year QB in the form of this year's QB taken in the draft or Bray from last year will allow the Chiefs to get ANOTHER compensatory pick in 2016 by letting Smith walk. Smith won't be the only high-profile player to leave, either. I would expect some big names to either get traded this season with 2 seasons left before free agency, or next year when they still have 1 season of team control left.

You may disagree with me and not believe that this team is about to go through a major overhaul, but do you really think John Dorsey and Andy Reid are going to let their their collective futures in KC be decided by and aging roster that they didn't select? Doubtful. If the front office thinks they can get/or have their QBOTF in this draft or the last, they won't sign Alex Smith long term. In fact, I don't see a single scenario that has the Chiefs committing long-term money (especially $15m/yr) to Alex Smith. Andy Reid and John Dorsey want a guy they can develop over an extended period of time. (see Aaron Rodgers)

I see a 3 year plan of something like the following:

Trade Eric Berry for draft picks in 2015/16
    Let Alex Smith walk for picks
    Trade Hali for picks in '16
    Let Charles walk after '16
    Trade DJ for picks in '16
    Cut/trade Sean Smith after '14
    Sign Justin Houston long-term
    Sign Dontari Poe long-term
    Sign Bray (or '14 rookie) long-term

10+ picks in 2015
    10+ picks in 2016

All this among other moves, of course... but I think you are going to see a drastically different team heading into the 2016 team than many of us want to see. I will be absolutely shocked and dismayed if Alex Smith is the starting QB for the Kansas City Chiefs heading into the 2016 season.

We will not trade charles and we will not keep bowe. I can see hali, flowers, bowe leaving. I think the chiefs are high on berry. And DJ I think will be a life long chief and hes to valueable. He shows up every game. If dj ever looses a step then he can move to the other inside spot and let a faster ilb take his spot.

Yknow, texaschief makes an interesting point. I doubt we can get 25 picks for 2015 and 2016, but I don't have a hard time imagining 20-23. We're already sitting on 17 maybe 18 between the 2 years. We've got some pro-bowlers in their late 20's that don't have too many years left on their contracts. Maybe even 25 if JC and Smith went down the road.No doubt in my mind that JC would bring some pretty good offers. And if Smith looks as good this year as he did the last half of last season as he did this year we might get some offers for him. Wish he had another year on his contract.

I'm not sure I like the idea, but it is hard not to be interested in the idea of Dorsey with 20+ draft picks over 2 years. It would make for a lot of flexibility and a lot of cap space to bring in some big name free agents to fill holes for a Super Bowl drive. Interesting idea.

Alex's situation is interesting, and I certainly don't see us keeping all of those high-dollar players, but I will be genuinely shocked if this team trades Charles.

I know, it's always fun to think of having a whole lot of draft picks. And I did things like that in franchise mode of Madden... But to go to the playoffs, and then sell your whole team for draft picks doesn't happen.

I suppose, if we have a terrible year this season, maybe... But I am not go to get too excited at that prospect.

Jamaal Charles won't get you an R1 pick -- guaranteed.
    ...in my opinion

Just ran across this article here:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...in-first-round

I hope it's just a smokescreen to bait somebody like Houston into trading up to #23 and giving the Chiefs their 2nd and 3rd rounders.

They traded 2, very high picks for the guy and they don't want to pay him?

Absolutely stunning.

I don't like all this talk of Alex Smith only being with us for 2 years. Unless of course Reid sees something in Tyler Bray that makes him think Bray is actually some sort of hidden nuclear weapon?

Then there is Chase Daniel.....I wasn't much interested in him after his preseason performance and let's be honest, he's a career backup so far. But as quick as I say that I remember how he played against San Diego in week 17.

So the truth is I have no bloody clue. Alex did GREAT the last half of last season and I am not enthusiastic about the idea of seeing him go elsewhere. And of course all these rumors about drafting a QB at 23 (or trading up to draft a QB) could be nothing more than a tactic in the negotiations with Smith's agent. Maybe all this talk of drafting a QB is nothing more than an effort to get a deal done with Smith before the Chiefs go on the clock at the draft. I dunno. Of course, we get a second bite at that apple. I expect a 7-9 to 9-7 season this year and no playoffs, so that too might soften up Smith's agent demands.

I guess in the end I'll just have to settle for "In Reid and Dorsey We Trust".

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Just ran across this article here:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...in-first-round

I hope it's just a smokescreen to bait somebody like Houston into trading up to #23 and giving the Chiefs their 2nd and 3rd rounders.
    Quote Originally Posted by NWO View Post

Absolutely stunning.
    1st I think it's all about negotiations both the Chiefs and Alex are trying to get the leverage to get the deal that both suits them. It happens all the time. IMO they are going to resign Alex.

2nd If they were to draft a QB in the 1st round don't be shocked. Dorsey is a BPA guy. If that's a QB he will take him. Even if that QB would sit for a couple of years. It wouldn't be a shock. But I don't see it happening I think the top level QBs will be gone. And I really don't think this is a great qb class. Though if Aaron Murray is there in round 3 I would jump all over that
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by NWO View Post

Absolutely stunning.
    Actually, I think it is more a matter of they don't want to overpay him.

He was decent in the first half of last season, very good
    the second half and exceptional against the Colts. But I'm not sure that makes him a $15-$17 million quarterback. Especially not in a 3-5 year contract that would probably have so much guaranteed as to 100% lock him in as our starting QB for 3 years. I'd like to see a little more of him before we make that big a commitment to him. But if he would take an extension for $10-$11 million per year then I'd feel much better about making a bigger commitment to him.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    1st I think it's all about negotiations both the Chiefs and Alex are trying to get the leverage to get the deal that both suits them. It happens all the time. IMO they are going to resign Alex.

2nd If they were to draft a QB in the 1st round don't be shocked. Dorsey is a BPA guy. If that's a QB he will take him. Even if that QB would sit for a couple of years. It wouldn't be a shock. But I don't see it happening I think the top level QBs will be gone. And I really don't think this is a great qb class. Though if Aaron Murray is there in round 3 I would jump all over that
    Unless Alex (or his agent) are being really stubborn, think this is more the case than anything. But I'll say this, like the situation with Branden Albert last year, this is one headache that Dorsey doesn't need at the moment.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast