Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: ESPN beat writer's mock draft

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 26

    Thumbs down ESPN beat writer's mock draft


    0 Not allowed!
    Here is a link to the ESPN beat writer mock draft that went on today. How it worked was the beat writers for each team were the ones making the picks and trades. Our "great" (added sarcasm) beat writer Adam Teicher took Ra'Shede Hageman with the 23rd pick.

    I am really hoping this scenario does not happen in real life because all the player I would be fine with the Chiefs taking were gone, and no one wanted to give a decent trade offer to move up.

    What do you all think?

    http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...ion-mock-draft

  2. #2
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,468
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 659
    Given: 814

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Hageman can be likened to Poe as a draft prospect. Boom or bust with a ton of physical ability at 6-6 and 318 lbs.. If he became a Chief and boomed like Poe did, the middle of the Chiefs D-Line would be tough to deal with in obvious passing situations. I could see this happening if the WR's are off the board & the Chiefs can't trade down.

  3. #3
    Member Since
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    3,030
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 4

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I am perfectly fine with the Chiefs sticking to their board and taking the best player available. Not sure he is that guy, as he appears to be a Tyson Jackson 2.0, but who knows. It is a hole that can be filled. I would rather we go with Kyle Fuller who could play at NB and potentionally take Shawns Smiths position before season end. Specially with talks of trading Brandon Flowers, I think Corner is a need.

  4. #4
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    2,959
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 22

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    If going d-line, I'd rather have Nix at that spot to leave him and Poe to wreak havoc on the interior O-line. Poe can play some 5-technique on early downs and then you can have him and Nix line up at 3-technique on passing downs.

    I don't know that Fuller fits Dorsey's mold of a CB, as the guys he's brought in have all been bigger CBs. I don't think they pass on Teddy if he's there though, like he is in this mock.
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 05-07-2014 at 02:28 PM.
    Diehard Fan Living in Packer Territory

    Co-Founder: 2 Mugs Fantasy Football -- a site about and football!

  5. #5
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,468
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 659
    Given: 814

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    If going d-line, I'd rather have Nix at that spot to leave him and Poe to wreak havoc on the interior O-line. Poe can play some 5-technique on early downs and then you can have him and Nix line up at 3-technique on passing downs.

    I don't know that Fuller fits Dorsey's mold of a CB, as the guys he's brought in have all been bigger CBs. I don't think they pass on Teddy if he's there though, like he is in this mock.
    You mean that you "hope" they don't pass on Bridgewater. I hope they do. They'd be foolish to take Bridgewater at #23.

    What does he bring that Tyler Bray doesn't? He's shorter than Bray and doesn't have as strong an arm. There is no QB worth drafting in round 1 this year, except Manziel.

  6. #6
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    2,959
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 22

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    You mean that you "hope" they don't pass on Bridgewater. I hope they do. They'd be foolish to take Bridgewater at #23.

    What does he bring that Tyler Bray doesn't? He's shorter than Bray and doesn't have as strong an arm. There is no QB worth drafting in round 1 this year, except Manziel.
    If height and a strong arm were all you needed to be a good quarterback, then all the Ryan Mallett's and Mike Glennon's would be the best QBs in the league.

    Teddy has great pocket presence. His ability to move the pocket to avoid hits and buy himself time is oustanding. He doesn't get rattled when his first or second read isn't available. He has above average mobility as well to move the pocket. He can make all the throws. His deep ball accuracy is probably his biggest weakness, but he would flourish in an Andy Reid offense. Teddy does everything well, which I why I feel he is a definite 1st rounder, and yes, I don't think the Chiefs will pass on him, especially given the unwillingness they've shown to break the bank on Alex. Reid and Dorsey have both shown they aren't afraid to push an established starter (Favre, McNabb) out the door. If Teddy falls into their lap at 23, I do believe they'll take him.
    Diehard Fan Living in Packer Territory

    Co-Founder: 2 Mugs Fantasy Football -- a site about and football!

  7. #7
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,468
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 659
    Given: 814

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    If height and a strong arm were all you needed to be a good quarterback, then all the Ryan Mallett's and Mike Glennon's would be the best QBs in the league.

    Teddy has great pocket presence. His ability to move the pocket to avoid hits and buy himself time is oustanding. He doesn't get rattled when his first or second read isn't available. He has above average mobility as well to move the pocket. He can make all the throws. His deep ball accuracy is probably his biggest weakness, but he would flourish in an Andy Reid offense. Teddy does everything well, which I why I feel he is a definite 1st rounder, and yes, I don't think the Chiefs will pass on him, especially given the unwillingness they've shown to break the bank on Alex. Reid and Dorsey have both shown they aren't afraid to push an established starter (Favre, McNabb) out the door. If Teddy falls into their lap at 23, I do believe they'll take him.
    Both of those guys were in decline and nearing the ends of their careers. That's why they were let go. Also, there is no evidence that the Chiefs aren't willing to give Alex a good pay raise. They simply can't at his stage without freeing up some cap space first.

    Drafting Bridgewater would be foolish. One scout rated him as a 4th rounder & there's reports all over the place about him falling out of round 1.

  8. #8
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    2,959
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 22

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Both of those guys were in decline and nearing the ends of their careers. That's why they were let go. Also, there is no evidence that the Chiefs aren't willing to give Alex a good pay raise. They simply can't at his stage without freeing up some cap space first.
    I would say the Chiefs being willing to draft a QB in round 1 is some evidence that they might not want to pay Alex. And given what QBs have gone for recently ($100M+ contracts with $55M+ guaranteed), I'd say that's more evidence. Sure, they'll give him a raise, but not what the recent market for starting QBs has indicated.

    Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Drafting Bridgewater would be foolish. One scout rated him as a 4th rounder & there's reports all over the place about him falling out of round 1.
    Cool. Another scout has him rated as a 1st rounder and there are reports all over the place about him getting drafted in round 1.

    The media sucks when it comes to QBs. They called Brian Brohm better than Aaron Rodgers after Rodgers got drafted. They pushed Gabbert down everyone's throats. They said Nassib would go in the 1st round. E.J. Manuel was rarely talked about until a week before the draft last year. Brady Quinn was invited to the green room b/c of media hype. Colt McCoy. Tim Tebow. I'll keep going...
    Diehard Fan Living in Packer Territory

    Co-Founder: 2 Mugs Fantasy Football -- a site about and football!

  9. #9
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,468
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 659
    Given: 814

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    I would say the Chiefs being willing to draft a QB in round 1 is some evidence that they might not want to pay Alex. And given what QBs have gone for recently ($100M+ contracts with $55M+ guaranteed), I'd say that's more evidence. Sure, they'll give him a raise, but not what the recent market for starting QBs has indicated.


    Cool. Another scout has him rated as a 1st rounder and there are reports all over the place about him getting drafted in round 1.

    The media sucks when it comes to QBs. They called Brian Brohm better than Aaron Rodgers after Rodgers got drafted. They pushed Gabbert down everyone's throats. They said Nassib would go in the 1st round. E.J. Manuel was rarely talked about until a week before the draft last year. Brady Quinn was invited to the green room b/c of media hype. Colt McCoy. Tim Tebow. I'll keep going...
    That being the case, it leads to the obvious question:

    Why draft a QB at #23 when one isn't needed for this year, and next years QB class is said to be better, anyways?

    And more questions:

    Why dismiss Tyler Bray so soon? Did he really look that bad in the pre-season last year? And how does drafting a QB in round 1 guarantee that the said QB is going to be better than Bray ( I'd bet against it knowing the Chiefs history when it comes to drafting QB's like I do)?

  10. #10
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    2,959
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 22

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    That being the case, it leads to the obvious question:

    Why draft a QB at #23 when one isn't needed for this year, and next years QB class is said to be better, anyways?

    And more questions:

    Why dismiss Tyler Bray so soon? Did he really look that bad in the pre-season last year? And how does drafting a QB in round 1 guarantee that the said QB is going to be better than Bray ( I'd bet against it knowing the Chiefs history when it comes to drafting QB's like I do)?
    I don't know, why did the Packers draft Aaron Rodgers at 24 when they wouldn't need him for 3 years? If Dorsey sees a QB he likes and wants to take him, then I sure as hell hope he takes him at 23.

    Next year's QB class is always better. They say that every year. Last year Tajh Boyd was going to be a 1st rounder, and now you don't even hear him talked about. With the exception of 2011, which was an out of this world class, next year's class is always touted as better. When next year comes, next year's class is again better.

    I'm not dismissing Tyler Bray, I just don't know that I'm ready to put my eggs into the basket of the UDFA to be the QBOTF. I haven't hardly seen him in the NFL, his college tape is meh, and aside from a big arm (which is rarely a trait of Andy Reid QBs), I don't know that he offers much else. He's very immobile, another trait that Andy Reid's QBs tend to have. Sure, he could work, but that's a lot to put on the shoulders of a guy that 32 other teams passed on 7 times last year in the draft.
    Diehard Fan Living in Packer Territory

    Co-Founder: 2 Mugs Fantasy Football -- a site about and football!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Football Gameplan's 2012 NFL Mock Draft Video - Final Mock
    By EmDiggy in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-19-2012, 12:28 AM
  2. Football Gameplan's Mock Draft Video - Final Mock
    By EmDiggy in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-21-2011, 05:51 PM
  3. AFC West draft grade ESPN
    By royalswin100games in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 04-29-2008, 07:17 AM
  4. Latest ESPN mock draft
    By DrunkHillbilly in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 03-29-2008, 04:11 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •