Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ESPN beat writer's mock draft

Thumbs down ESPN beat writer's mock draft

Here is a link to the ESPN beat writer mock draft that went on today. How it worked was the beat writers for each team were the ones making the picks and trades. Our "great" (added sarcasm) beat writer Adam Teicher took Ra'Shede Hageman with the 23rd pick.

I am really hoping this scenario does not happen in real life because all the player I would be fine with the Chiefs taking were gone, and no one wanted to give a decent trade offer to move up.

What do you all think?

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...ion-mock-draft

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    I don't know, why did the Packers draft Aaron Rodgers at 24 when they wouldn't need him for 3 years? If Dorsey sees a QB he likes and wants to take him, then I sure as hell hope he takes him at 23.

Next year's QB class is always better. They say that every year. Last year Tajh Boyd was going to be a 1st rounder, and now you don't even hear him talked about. With the exception of 2011, which was an out of this world class, next year's class is always touted as better. When next year comes, next year's class is again better.

I'm not dismissing Tyler Bray, I just don't know that I'm ready to put my eggs into the basket of the UDFA to be the QBOTF. I haven't hardly seen him in the NFL, his college tape is meh, and aside from a big arm (which is rarely a trait of Andy Reid QBs), I don't know that he offers much else. He's very immobile, another trait that Andy Reid's QBs tend to have. Sure, he could work, but that's a lot to put on the shoulders of a guy that 32 other teams passed on 7 times last year in the draft.
    1. Like I had said, they knew Brett Favre was nearing the end, plus they didn't expect Rodgers to fall to them.

2. Incorrect. Nobody was saying the 2013 QB class was going to be better than 2012 QB class at any point in time. They don't say it every year.

3. Bray was passed on because of off-the field incidents. His being an UDFA is irrelevant. It's what he does in KC that really counts, regardless of whether he was drafted or not & they have time with him. If 3600 yards passing and 34 TD's as a junior is 'meh' in 2012 in the SEC, then sign me up, because if he matures under Andy Reid ( which I suspect he will ), the Chiefs have their QBOTF.

Bridgewater brings nothing to the table that Bray can't bring & drafting Bridgewater at #23 would be a wasted pick & I'll bet money that he becomes a BUST, just like the previous 17 they've drafted since 1970.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    1. Like I had said, they knew Brett Favre was nearing the end, plus they didn't expect Rodgers to fall to them.

2. Incorrect. Nobody was saying the 2013 QB class was going to be better than 2012 QB class at any point in time. They don't say it every year.

3. Bray was passed on because of off-the field incidents. His being an UDFA is irrelevant. It's what he does in KC that really counts, regardless of whether he was drafted or not & they have time with him. If 3600 yards passing and 34 TD's as a junior is 'meh' in 2012 in the SEC, then sign me up, because if he matures under Andy Reid ( which I suspect he will ), the Chiefs have their QBOTF.

Bridgewater brings nothing to the table that Bray can't bring & drafting Bridgewater at #23 would be a wasted pick & I'll bet money that he becomes a BUST, just like the previous 17 they've drafted since 1970.
    I meant 2012, I said 2011. Yes, the 2012 class was absurdly good. But last year at this time everyone was saying "Boyd, Manziel, Bridgewater, Mettenberger, Murray, McCarron!!!"

I'm aware that being a UDFA is somewhat irrelevant. But regardless, if teams think you have some talent at the QB position, they'll draft you. Mallett had similar off the field concerns in 2011, and he was taken in the 3rd. Regardless, Bray is a huge question mark for me at this point and Teddy is much more polished in my opinion.

I will gladly place a wager re: Teddy, but we have to define bust? If he's taken in the 1st round, I'd assume you'd expect him to be a starter throughout his entire rookie contract. So if he starts throughout his entire rookie contract, not a bust? Deal? How much are you comfortable wagering?

But to elaborate further on the above...I trust Dorsey/Reid. If they feel Bray can be the QBOTF, then by all means don't spend a 1st on one. If they don't, then Bridgewater is the guy if he's there at 23. We'll see how it plays out.

I meant 2012, I said 2011. Yes, the 2012 class was absurdly good. But last year at this time everyone was saying "Boyd, Manziel, Bridgewater, Mettenberger, Murray, McCarron!!!"

I'm aware that being a UDFA is somewhat irrelevant. But regardless, if teams think you have some talent at the QB position, they'll draft you. Mallett had similar off the field concerns in 2011, and he was taken in the 3rd. Regardless, Bray is a huge question mark for me at this point and Teddy is much more polished in my opinion.

I will gladly place a wager re: Teddy, but we have to define bust? If he's taken in the 1st round, I'd assume you'd expect him to be a starter throughout his entire rookie contract. So if he starts throughout his entire rookie contract, not a bust? Deal? How much are you comfortable wagering?

No, I mean that he doesn't keep a starting job as a Chiefs QB beyond his rookie contract, as none of them have. And you'd lose that bet already as far as the "starter throughout his entire rookie contract", because Teddy wouldn't start ahead of Alex this year. And the wager is $1000.00 cold quid

Bray was passed on because his interviews with teams suggested that he was not very intelligent. He was a very talented QB who did things based on having better talent. A couple years with Andy and Alex Smith and he could become a great back up or possible starter. We also over paid for Chase Daniels. I don't see the Chiefs taking a QB despite any of this talk unless they are planning on letting Alex or Chase go.

I see the Chiefs paying Alex what he wants. You don't go an invest to 2nd rounders in him, go to the play offs, and then say. Sorry!!!! I really think all of the talks of taking a QB is a ploy to get other teams either interested in jumping ahead of the Chiefs to pick a QB so that a guy the Chiefs falls, or possibly as a negotiation bluff to get Alex to come down on his demands.

^^My thoughts exactly. It's just a smokescreen about Alex and about wanting a QB. In round 4 last year, the Eagles thought the Chiefs wanted Matt Barkley, so the Eagles traded ahead of them. Turns out that KC had no interest in Barkley and was planning on drafting Nico Johnson, all along.

[/B]No, I mean that he doesn't keep a starting job as a Chiefs QB beyond his rookie contract, as none of them have. And you'd lose that bet already as far as the "starter throughout his entire rookie contract", because Teddy wouldn't start ahead of Alex this year. And the wager is $1000.00 cold quid
    You realize that the 17 prior have 0% to do with anyone the Chiefs draft in the future, right? It's a completely new organization, with two guys at the top that have drafted and developed quarterbacks.

Regardless, I thought we were talking about Teddy in general, not Teddy as a Chief. I don't like your definition, b/c is he still considered a bust if some team gives him a ridiculously large 2nd contract to be a starter and that team is not the Chiefs? If he's still starting after 5 years in the league, I would say that's not a bust.

You realize that the 17 prior have 0% to do with anyone the Chiefs draft in the future, right? It's a completely new organization, with two guys at the top that have drafted and developed quarterbacks.
    I've heard that line umpteen times before of "new organization". It has not mattered what regime was in place, the abyssmal track record still stands. Even Don Klosterman failed on his choice of Pete Beathard in 1963, and Klosterman had a track record few GM's could match. In fact, Klosterman killed it in that 1963 draft with the other players he got. He was also successful drafting QB's for the Rams.

It doesn't matter what success Dorsey/Reid may have had elsewhere drafting QB's. It only means something if they have that same success in KC and I'll believe it when I see it.

Regardless, I thought we were talking about Teddy in general, not Teddy as a Chief. I don't like your definition, b/c is he still considered a bust if some team gives him a ridiculously large 2nd contract to be a starter and that team is not the Chiefs? If he's still starting after 5 years in the league, I would say that's not a bust.
    If they draft Teddy in round 1 and he doesn't play at least 10 seasons in KC and become regarded as one of the games better QB's, then he is a failure -- just like Blackledge and Steve Fuller.

I've heard that line umpteen times before of "new organization". It has not mattered what regime was in place, the abyssmal track record still stands. Even Don Klosterman failed on his choice of Pete Beathard in 1963, and Klosterman had a track record few GM's could match. In fact, Klosterman killed it in that 1963 draft with the other players he got. He was also successful drafting QB's for the Rams.

It doesn't matter what success Dorsey/Reid may have had elsewhere drafting QB's. It only means something if they have that same success in KC and I'll believe it when I see it.
    Regardless, the previous 17 QBs have nothing to do with the next QB drafted. Just like if you throw heads 17 times in a row, you're still just as likely to get a tails the next toss.

If they draft Teddy in round 1 and he doesn't play at least 10 seasons in KC and become regarded as one of the games better QB's, then he is a failure -- just like Blackledge and Steve Fuller.
    Meh. Not interested in a 10+ year bet.

I'd be happy with a QB at #23. Our backup QB's frighten the heck outta me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast