25. Anthony Barr OLB UCLA 90
    26. Bradley Roby* CB Ohio State 89
    27. Stephon Tuitt DE Notre Dame 89
    28. T. Bridgewater* QB Louisville 89
    29. Dee Ford DE Auburn 89
    30. J. Attaochu OLB Georgia Tech 89
    31. Joel Bitonio OT Nevada 89
    32. Cyrus Kouandjio OT Alabama 88

Notes: The NFL has reduced the amount of time to make each pick in the first round from 15 minutes to 10.
    This year, the prospective draftees are permitted to select their own "Walk up" music. That should be interesting!

The Houston Texans are on the clock.

Discuss...

***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

I’m indifferent to the pick. It’s a smart move but one of minimal immediate impact. He’ll be depth this year and will see the field if Hali or Houston is hurt. They’ll probably use him very similarly to how Aldon Smith was used in SF his rookie year – in some pass rush situations. Next year, they’ll cut Hali for cap space. There will be no moving of Hali before then, so forget a trade.

I’d have preferred a trade down, but that became unlikely after PHI beat us to the punch. I trust they were trying up until the last minute judging by the time left when the pick was in. Oh well.

I’d have preferred Marquis Lee hoping to get the 2012 version. But a WR can be gotten later.

The very disconcerting thing is that when I criticized the Chiefs offseason moves, claiming the roster is worse than last year’s, everyone said “We haven’t drafted. Wonder boy Dorsey will surely address it then.” Well our best shot at an impact player was spent on the future. Ford does not strengthen one of the many weak spots on this roster.

So, what say you now? Are the Chiefs a better team on paper than last years? No, they aren’t.
    ...in my opinion

Don't we all love hypocrisy? I believe John Dorsey said Dee Ford was the 2nd best pass rusher and top player on their board when their turn came at #23 and yet, many media draft "experts" and fans b!tch and complain that the Chiefs failed to address a "need" given that they already have edge rushers in Hali and Houston. Meanwhile, it's many of the same group of folks that continually preach that teams shouldn't reach or draft for "need" and that they should always draft the best player available. So which is it?

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but Bob McGinn of the Journal-Sentinel compiles some good info regarding what some scouts have to say about each years draft prospects. Here's the breakdown of Dee Ford:

DEE FORD, Auburn (6-2, 248, 4.61, 2) — His game revolves almost solely on anticipating the snap. "That's how he gets everything," one scout said. "He just jumps, jumps, jumps. Just a little guy that's not a special pass rusher. He's got to be a 3-4 guy, but I don't think he's that kind of an athlete." Started 20 of 52 games at DE, finishing with 93 tackles (27½ for loss) and 20½ sacks. "Kind of a one-trick pony guy," a second scout said. "Just an outside rusher with limited moves at this point. He's so undersized, he's not really a factor against the run. If he doesn't win with quickness and speed right off the bat he doesn't have the strength, bulk or length to hold the point, anchor and rip off blocks." From Odenville, Ala. "He's relentless," a third scout said. "Little tight. You can play down with smaller guys. Depends how you use him."

Well, I think it is pretty clear what is about to happen. Hali is gone next year in a trade, we save $9 million in cap space and Ford replaces him.

Reid and Dorsey are rebuilding this team. The 28 to 30 year old highly paid guys are going down the road (except for maybe Alex Smith) so we can pay the younger guys that are turning into stars the kind of money they are going to be wanting. We are going to be a younger team with the cap space available to pay the "stars" that will be in the 24-26 year old range when their rookie contracts expire.

I hate to see some of my favorite "names" go, but I think it probably needs doing. I hope Dorsey and Reid will get it right.

I'm OK with the Ford pick. In this pass-happy NFL (especially the AFC West with Manning and Rivers) you have to be able to stop the QBs that throw the ball well and often. Ideally you stop them by pressuring the QB and by covering the receivers. But if you can't stop both the receivers and the passer, then you'd better be REAL good at one or the other. So it makes sense for us to make us every QB's worst nightmare since we are already better at pressuring QBs than we are at defending the receivers. It's called playing to your strength.

This pick allows the Chiefs to keep up one of the league's best pass rushing defenses for the foreseeable future. Whether Ford BECOMES the player the Chiefs expect him to be is one thing... but assuring we have a consistent pass rush for years to come is a good, smart move. Looking at the board, you will be hard-pressed to find a player who represented a better value or was deemed a better player than Ford at #23. This was a good pick and one that the Chiefs can continue to build their defense on.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Well, I think it is pretty clear what is about to happen. Hali is gone next year in a trade, we save $9 million in cap space and Ford replaces him.

Reid and Dorsey are rebuilding this team. The 28 to 30 year old highly paid guys are going down the road (except for maybe Alex Smith) so we can pay the younger guys that are turning into stars the kind of money they are going to be wanting. We are going to be a younger team with the cap space available to pay the "stars" that will be in the 24-26 year old range when their rookie contracts expire.

I hate to see some of my favorite "names" go, but I think it probably needs doing. I hope Dorsey and Reid will get it right.

I'm OK with the Ford pick. In this pass-happy NFL (especially the AFC West with Manning and Rivers) you have to be able to stop the QBs that throw the ball well and often. Ideally you stop them by pressuring the QB and by covering the receivers. But if you can't stop both the receivers and the passer, then you'd better be REAL good at one or the other. So it makes sense for us to make us every QB's worst nightmare since we are already better at pressuring QBs than we are at defending the receivers. It's called playing to your strength.
    No one will trade for Tamba Hali. He will be released.
    ...in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by ishtstarter View Post
    Don't we all love hypocrisy? I believe John Dorsey said Dee Ford was the 2nd best pass rusher and top player on their board when their turn came at #23 and yet, many media draft "experts" and fans b!tch and complain that the Chiefs failed to address a "need" given that they already have edge rushers in Hali and Houston. Meanwhile, it's many of the same group of folks that continually preach that teams shouldn't reach or draft for "need" and that they should always draft the best player available. So which is it?

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but Bob McGinn of the Journal-Sentinel compiles some good info regarding what some scouts have to say about each years draft prospects. Here's the breakdown of Dee Ford:

DEE FORD, Auburn (6-2, 248, 4.61, 2) — His game revolves almost solely on anticipating the snap. "That's how he gets everything," one scout said. "He just jumps, jumps, jumps. Just a little guy that's not a special pass rusher. He's got to be a 3-4 guy, but I don't think he's that kind of an athlete." Started 20 of 52 games at DE, finishing with 93 tackles (27½ for loss) and 20½ sacks. "Kind of a one-trick pony guy," a second scout said. "Just an outside rusher with limited moves at this point. He's so undersized, he's not really a factor against the run. If he doesn't win with quickness and speed right off the bat he doesn't have the strength, bulk or length to hold the point, anchor and rip off blocks." From Odenville, Ala. "He's relentless," a third scout said. "Little tight. You can play down with smaller guys. Depends how you use him."
    I’ve always been a BPAN guy myself, meaning that if you have two guys rated similarly, but one better than the other, if the second fills a need take him. Had Taylor Lewan slipped to us for some dumb reason, by all means take him, no matter what.

In the case of Dee Ford, your scouting report does little to convince me the Chiefs got the BPA regardless of need. Regardless, anyone who says he doesn’t fit a need isn’t familiar with the Chiefs and their cap and that Hali will be 32 next year and count $9M against it. It’s just not an immediate need so those who thought the draft would fill the holes in the roster were mistaken.

To me, that’s a credit to John Dorsey. That is how the smart teams draft. Although the roster is worse than last year’s and this season will be a step back it’s promising to know a “Tyson Jackson sequel” won’t likely occur during Dorsey’s watch.
    ...in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by 2010chiefs View Post
    3rd best offense because of Jamal Charles not our wide receivers. Jamal can't keep carrying the load every year.
    One must remember that Jamaal wasn't on the field in the playoff game, and yet, 44 points still went up on the scoreboard for the Chiefs.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    One must remember that Jamaal wasn't on the field in the playoff game, and yet, 44 points still went up on the scoreboard for the Chiefs.
    Not to mention the Colts beat the Broncos, Seahawks and 49ers and held us to 7 points in the regular season so putting up 44 on them is saying something.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Our defense has the most wholes. A 3-4 end, fs and a press man to man cb. Offense needs wr, oline depth. I want to see what kelce can do at te as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    Our defense has the most wholes. A 3-4 end, fs and a press man to man cb. Offense needs wr, oline depth. I want to see what kelce can do at te as well.
    Can imagine both Kelce and Commings will be getting serious looks this preseason.