Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Webnews: So where does Manziel go?

Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 27

Post Webnews: So where does Manziel go?

0 Not allowed!
    By Mike Florio
    With 20 picks gone and Johnny Manziel still available, let’s consider the teams that may take him. At No. 22, could Eagles coach Chip Kelly resist the guy he recruited at Oregon? At No. 23, the Chiefs may need a successor to Alex Smith. The Browns at No. 26 make plenty of sense. At No.…
    Read more…

Thumbs Up
    Received: 213
    Given: 58

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I was really hoping Manziel would get to us. He may be a spoiled rich kid but IMO he has a big upside if he can reach his potential and not get hurt. Those of course are big ifs but sometimes there's a risk worth taking. IMO he was it.

Outside of that it would have opened a lot of doors for us. Cleveland and the Vikes were both wanting to trade up and get him. If we drafted him there is no rule that says we have to keep him. We could have made out with our 2nd rounder and then some. Lets say we get him trade him to Cleveland for 26th and a 2nd rounder. Manziel would have given us so many options and I think that gets lost in the fact that he's a spoil rich kid.
    I'm not comfortable with that strategy. I would rather take a guy that you know you want rather than take a QB and hope that someone picking behind you will want him enough to give you an extra pick for him. You run the rick of not making a trade, or making the trade and missing out on both Manziel AND Dee Ford in exchange for a later 1st round pick and a late 2nd round pick. I'd rather make sure we get a guy we really want.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

Originally Posted by Name Withheld
    I don't think anything that's what wrong is nearly Smiths Falls we have no offense of line I think the coaches are free to call certain place I think he would absolutely do better with a different office of coordinator

Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 132

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    I'm not following your logic. If the Vikings, for example, thought we were going to take Teddy Bridgewater (who was still on the board when we picked) wouldn't they be more likely to trade up with us, and give us better value than if they knew we had no interest in a QB?
    But if we really were interested in a QB, we wouldn't entertain a trade offer. As soon as the Vikes call and we say we are interested, we've just blown the whole bluff. If you are willing to discuss a trade, you must not want who is currently available that badly.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 382
    Given: 74

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not comfortable with that strategy. I would rather take a guy that you know you want rather than take a QB and hope that someone picking behind you will want him enough to give you an extra pick for him. You run the rick of not making a trade, or making the trade and missing out on both Manziel AND Dee Ford in exchange for a later 1st round pick and a late 2nd round pick. I'd rather make sure we get a guy we really want.
    It would have been a risk no doubt but sometimes you have to take a risk. You can't always just play it safe. And seeing that Cleveland was trying to move up a couple times to get him it wouldn't be that much of a long shot that they would be willing to give up some things to get him.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 51

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not following your logic. If the Vikings, for example, thought we were going to take Teddy Bridgewater (who was still on the board when we picked) wouldn't they be more likely to trade up with us, and give us better value than if they knew we had no interest in a QB?
    The logic is sound. If the Chiefs loved Bridgewater why would they make that move? And it would probably cost the Vikes more to sway KC off of the player than to simply gyp them in line via a PHL trade.

I always love when the media claims a team is feigning interest in a player to manufacture trade interest. It makes no sense. All you would do is generate trade interest for the team in front of you.

Once CLE made the move, the best KC could do is call MIN and tell them HOU, for example, had just called looking to move up for Bridgewater.
    Last edited by Mongo; 05-09-2014 at 11:46 AM.
    ...in my opinion

Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 51

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    But if we really were interested in a QB, we wouldn't entertain a trade offer. As soon as the Vikes call and we say we are interested, we've just blown the whole bluff. If you are willing to discuss a trade, you must not want who is currently available that badly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    The logic is sound. If the Chiefs loved Bridgewater why would they make that move? And it would probably cost the Vikes more to sway KC off of the player than to simply gyp them in line via a PHL trade.

I always love when the media claims a team is feigning interest in a player to manufacture trade interest. It makes no sense. All you would do is generate trade interest for the team in front of you.

Once CLE made the move, the best KC could do is call MIN and tell them HOU, for example, had just called looking to move up for Bridgewater.

These guys said what I was going to say. If I'm interested in a QB, why would I entertain trade offers from people looking to take a QB? I mean, I'd listen... but it's going to cost a TON more in value for the Vikes to get me to give them the QB I want than it would be for them to just jump one spot ahead of me.

Like I said before... I'm sure the Eagles called up KC and told them the Browns wanted to jump ahead and take Johnny. I'm not positive the Chiefs were looking to take him in the first place. It's intriguing to think about, for sure. Reid with Manzeil in the back field seem like a nice marriage. Alex's contract is up and it all seems to fit rather nicely.

Here's the rub: Reid and Dorsey claim the phone was ringing off the hook when they were on the clock. The Falcons apparently were hot and heavy after the Eagles' pick because they were worried the Chiefs were going to take Ford. If Manziel was the guy the Chiefs wanted and just "settled" for Ford, wouldn't they have taken a deal to gain more picks if he wasn't really the guy they wanted at #23?

I think Ford was the guy that was at the top of the their board, whether Johnny was there or not.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 5

0 Not allowed!
    Would have loved to see Manziel in Red & Gold. Still not an Alex Smith fan.

It's called the win column, perhaps you've heard of it?

Thumbs Up
    Received: 238
    Given: 700

1 Not allowed!
    I think Dorsey is smarter than that. If the Browns hadn't taken Johnny, I think Dorsey would have found someone to trade back with who wanted him rather than take him. The Browns may have cost us an extra pick, but if we traded back we might not have gotten Dee Ford, so it's all good.
    Agreed.

Another thing to consider...Reid and Dorsey might not be interested in taking a QB from this draft class.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 73

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Agreed.

Another thing to consider...Reid and Dorsey might not be interested in taking a QB from this draft class.
    Yeah let's hope Bray is doing well

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12