Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Webnews: Chiefs draft Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray in the fif

Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 27

Post Webnews: Chiefs draft Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray in the fif

0 Not allowed!
    By Michael David Smith
    Aaron Murray, a prolific passer at Georgia who saw his draft stock decline when he tore his ACL late in his senior year, has landed in Kansas City. The Chiefs selected Murray with a fifth-round pick in the 2014 NFL draft, No. 163 overall. Murray looks like a good fit for Chiefs coach Andy Reid’s…
    Read more…

Thumbs Up
    Received: 545
    Given: 747

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    not blaming the QB, but 10 points in what, 29 minutes when in the previous 31 they scored 31 seems bad.

I've always said, the defense deserves most of the blame but the offense should not get off scott free for their lack of scoring in the last 29 minutes of the game.
    No Charles, Davis, or Avery down the stretch of that game certainly doesn't help the cause of the Offense, now does it?

Thumbs Up
    Received: 369
    Given: 74

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    ^^RUBBISH !! I have not misunderstood anything. Suggesting that Bray will be discarded right away -- and yes that is precisely what has been suggested with the statements along the lines of "he won't be there week 1" -- is ridiculous and isn't the same as what I suggested about letting them compete for a couple for a couple or three years, not by a longshot.
    What's being said is that Murray will EARN the job over Bray. It's not them saying to Bray to just hit the road. There's a difference. It's not as simple as them saying to Bray well we drafted Murray so bye bye like you said. It's Murray in camp and the preseason earning the job. Which is what the predicition that I have made is. This saying that Bray should get an auto spot on the roster for 3 years based on a single preseason outing against the backups is silly. I've seen nothing from Bray that says he should get that shot for 3 years. IF he shows he can keep stepping it up I've said many time he should stay. But I just don't think that's going to happen based on what I saw in his college career. Bray is not any different then any other undrafted player they have to earn there spot on the rosters

Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    What's being said is that Murray will EARN the job over Bray. It's not them saying to Bray to just hit the road. There's a difference. It's not as simple as them saying to Bray well we drafted Murray so bye bye like you said. It's Murray in camp and the preseason earning the job. Which is what the predicition that I have made is. This saying that Bray should get an auto spot on the roster for 3 years based on a single preseason outing against the backups is silly. I've seen nothing from Bray that says he should get that shot for 3 years. IF he shows he can keep stepping it up I've said many time he should stay. But I just don't think that's going to happen based on what I saw in his college career. Bray is not any different then any other undrafted player they have to earn there spot on the rosters
    And saying that Murray will -- like it's etched in stone -- earn the job over Bray is complete BS. Murray hasn't signed his contract and even put on a uniform as of yet. Murray might suffer a permanent thumb injury from playing tiddly-winks before he ever throws a pass for the Chiefs, for all anyone knows.

Saying that one hopes that Murray beats out Bray is another thing altogether ( which I'm not betting on that ).

Thumbs Up
    Received: 312
    Given: 304

2 Not allowed!
    ctchiefsfan,

Alex Smith wasn't Ryfo's personal choice to be the Chiefs QB. My question is why, with what Alex showed us last season along with the fact that Alex has been in the top 3 of NFL's winningest QB's, would anybody want Manning over Smith at this stage. Manning is 8 years older and his age is beginning to show and he's one good hit from being permanently put out to pasture. I could see their argument if both QB's were 25 years old, then that would be different.
    Despite the fact that a friend (who is also a 9'ers fans) on a firearms-related board told me long before the trade that the 9'ers were going to let Smith go and that we should grab him, I was still a bit taken aback. As I have said before.....I used to be an NFL fan....now I'm simply a Chiefs fan.

I LIKE Alex Smith. He may turn out to be a truly amazing QB. I honestly think he might. But then there are the contract "issues" and that is a whole different subject.

Would I trade Alex for Manning straight up? NEVER IN HELL! Age is age and I am starting to succumb to it. I can't run the hills hunting deer like I used to.

That said, I AM getting nervous that we can't seem to lock Alex Smith in for the next 3-5 years. Maybe Bray.....maybe Murray....but without a doubt Alex Smith is a very good QB. MAYBE the QB that can take us to the Super Bowl and IMO certainly the QB that can break the playoff curse.

But without a doubt, the only way I would rather have Manning over Alex Smith is if Manning came with a whole bunch of draft picks. Manning is yesterday's news. Maybe he wins a Super Bowl for the donks. Maybe the NFL GIVES Manning, Elway and the donks a Superbowl. But I would rather have Alex Smith.

Also, the silly notion that Tyler Bray should be discarded just because Murray was drafted.Total nonsense
    I'm inclined to agree....as I said in my post above. Wish Reid had started Bray in that game against San Diego last year though. It was a "meaningless game" so why didn't we start our supposed QBOTF? Worries me. But I am totally OK going with Smith/Bray/Murray (in no particular order) if that is where Reid thinks the future is. I just have a very hard time seeing Chase Daniel winning us a playoff game more to the point a Super Bowl....so I am totally on board with cutting him loose if that is what Reid thinks is best.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 228
    Given: 665

2 Not allowed!
    While I'm not jumping up and down over the pick of a QB this year...Still weighing the pros/cons of that one over trying to get a WR in that round...The bottom line is KC has him. So what next?

My hope would be that Murray and Bray are battling it out in training camp. But that won't be for awhile because of Murray's ACL. Another downside. Dorsey & Reid had to have known this, and drafted him anyway. They saw the value, right or wrong.

I'm sorry m/c but I don't get the argument of "drafting beats UDFA signing". Not sure how one shows more "love" than the other. It's not like we're talking about a first round pick. It's a fifth.

My hope is this, since we got them...I'd like to see both of these guys working their tails off to be the better QB for KC. Unfortunately for us, it'll be awhile before we'll get to see a true competition happen between Bray and Murray because of Murray's ACL. So this preseason we'll see Daniels and Bray battling for the #2 spot. I am pulling for Bray because Bray has an incredible arm, we just need to see it put to more use while he's wearing red and gold. Daniels will be battling to make a statement to other teams that he's worth the money. The end result being that Chiefs have better QB depth.

So for this year, because of Murray's ACL, nothing's really changed. The competition for #2 is still between Daniels and Bray.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 312
    Given: 304

0 Not allowed!
    Damn fine post! I hope Murray recovers enough to be a serious part of the competition this year, but if not he is well worth stashing somewhere. Not to be a broken record, but it's good to see Dorsey thinking about the future. I think Dorsey is going to build one hell of a good team. May take a few years though.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    And saying that Murray will -- like it's etched in stone -- earn the job over Bray is complete BS. Murray hasn't signed his contract and even put on a uniform as of yet. Murray might suffer a permanent thumb injury from playing tiddly-winks before he ever throws a pass for the Chiefs, for all anyone knows.

Saying that one hopes that Murray beats out Bray is another thing altogether ( which I'm not betting on that ).
    Come on it's pretty well known that eveyone on here is just giving there opinion on things. It's not like Dorsey or Reid are sitting there reading this and making choices based on that. I highly doubt Reid would be sitting there debating his roster and say I wonder what matt on chiefscrowd says.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think the ACL is going to be much of a factor he's coming along very well in his recovery and was moving around fine at his pro day

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Come on it's pretty well known that eveyone on here is just giving there opinion on things. It's not like Dorsey or Reid are sitting there reading this and making choices based on that. I highly doubt Reid would be sitting there debating his roster and say I wonder what matt on chiefscrowd says.
    Still, that opinion is illogical. Specifically, the ones that think that draft status matters or Murray is already a better QBOTF prospect than Bray is because of etc., etc. It's what they do in KC that counts now, not what they did before they arrived.

This, by Eydugstr, on the the other hand, makes much more sense and it's the more likely scenario and the best case scenario.

My hope is this, since we got them...I'd like to see both of these guys working their tails off to be the better QB for KC
    And yes, I've seen that vid of Murray's pro day, but that doesn't mean he'll hold up for very long on the field if he gets hit several times. In fact Murray's injury didn't come as the result of being hit.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Still, that opinion is illogical. Specifically, the ones that think that draft status matters or Murray is already a better QBOTF prospect than Bray is because of etc., etc. It's what they do in KC that counts now, not what they did before they arrived.
    What's illogical about the opinion if Bray gets outplayed then he loses his job and will be off the team? That's what happens between July and the first of September. It's the nature of the NFL.

What's illogical is the thought they have to give Bray 3 years. Sorry but where they came from does matter. A 1st rounder sure you have to give him those years. But you clearly saw something in him to take him in the 1st round. An undrafted guy you don't have to give that time and it's silly to do if you don't see anything out of him that says he can be the guy. You clearly didn't see enough in him to draft him.

And yes, I've seen that vid of Murray's pro day, but that doesn't mean he'll hold up for very long on the field if he gets hit several times. In fact Murray's injury didn't come as the result of being hit.
    Ummm it didn't?

what caused it?

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast