Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Webnews: Chiefs draft Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray in the fif

Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 30

Post Webnews: Chiefs draft Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray in the fif

0 Not allowed!
    By Michael David Smith
    Aaron Murray, a prolific passer at Georgia who saw his draft stock decline when he tore his ACL late in his senior year, has landed in Kansas City. The Chiefs selected Murray with a fifth-round pick in the 2014 NFL draft, No. 163 overall. Murray looks like a good fit for Chiefs coach Andy Reid’s…
    Read more…

Thumbs Up
    Received: 664
    Given: 822

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    What's illogical about the opinion if Bray gets outplayed then he loses his job and will be off the team? That's what happens between July and the first of September. It's the nature of the NFL.

What's illogical is the thought they have to give Bray 3 years. Sorry but where they came from does matter. A 1st rounder sure you have to give him those years. But you clearly saw something in him to take him in the 1st round. An undrafted guy you don't have to give that time and it's silly to do if you don't see anything out of him that says he can be the guy. You clearly didn't see enough in him to draft him.
    It was the off-the-field incidents that caused Bray to go undrafted, same as the LB Burfict the year before. Had nothing to do with their potential as players. Same thing with South Carolina CB Victor Hampton this year, who had a 3rd or 4th round grade, but went undrafted because of off the field issues which you can read about right HERE.

Draft status has nothing to do with whether or not Bray or Murray should be given 2-3 years to see what they really got. And what is illogical is thinking that Murray is going to outplay Bray right away. Bray already has a year in the system & one training camp under his belt, so the odds are stacked against it.

Ummm it didn't?

what caused it?
    That video ISN'T the play where Murray injured his ACL. It occurred on a scramble by Murray prior to that play. It's right here at about 0:30 of this vid where his ACL got hurt.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 473
    Given: 78

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    It was the off-the-field incidents that caused Bray to go undrafted, same as the LB Burfict the year before. Had nothing to do with their potential as players. Same thing with South Carolina CB Victor Hampton this year, who had a 3rd or 4th round grade, but went undrafted because of off the field issues which you can read about right HERE.
    You continue to ignore the fact that off the field issues are not the sole cause of people going undrafted. There have been lots of guys who have had off the field issues and still get drafted. THERE'S MORE TO IT. If a team sees enough in a guy they will draft him even with off the field issues they will just do it in the later rounds. They didn't see enough in Bray to do so. There's a chance that if not for the off the field issues that he would have been drafted I grant you. But those issues are not the only reason he went undrafted.

Draft status has nothing to do with whether or not Bray or Murray should be given 2-3 years to see what they really got.
    This is just incorrect. Where a guy is drafted or not drafted has a BIG impact on how long a player gets to prove their worth. 1st rounders know they are going to be on the team at the start of the year they know they have a spot. 7th rounders don't some get cut or they get put on the PS. It's how the NFL works. Undrafted guys just don't get 3 years it just doesn't happen. They have to really show something to make the team. Which is what I said Bray will have to do to make the team.

And what is illogical is thinking that Murray is going to outplay Bray right away. Bray already has a year in the system & one training camp under his belt, so the odds are stacked against it.
    In a simple world this is correct. But it's not that simple. Qbs are not the same. They grow at different rates. They start out a different levels. IMO Murray is the better QB. He's starting at a higher level then Bray started IMO so it's logical to think he's going to pass Bray IMO.

That video ISN'T the play where Murray injured his ACL. It occurred on a scramble by Murray prior to that play. It's right here at about 0:30 of this vid where his ACL got hurt.
    I stand corrected on this one. I was watching the game and didn't know he tore it on the scramble. He came back and threw a td after it so that to me says something about his toughness. and the fact that he was already given the clear and unlimted in his pro day I think speaks well of how he is coming around.
    ​BAN ROY

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013tbray.php

Bray's scouting report

Notice there is accuracy and Decision-making issues. As Ryfo said Qbs in college who complete under 60% of there passes don't have a great trac record in the NFL. Bray was at 58.6% in college. That all played into him going undrafted It wasn't only the off the field stuff.
    ​BAN ROY

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2014amurray.php

And Murray's scouting report shorter list of weakness and Murray has accuracy as a strenght
    ​BAN ROY

Thumbs Up
    Received: 186
    Given: 51

0 Not allowed!
    This entire discussion is irrelevant. Daniel will be cast aside to provide some cap flexibility so the Chiefs can address another need. In fact, I'd call up Houston and dangle him as trade bait. You can't tell me Daniel wouldn't at least contend for the starting spot against Keenum and Fitzpatrick.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013tbray.php

Bray's scouting report

Notice there is accuracy and Decision-making issues. As Ryfo said Qbs in college who complete under 60% of there passes don't have a great trac record in the NFL. Bray was at 58.6% in college. That all played into him going undrafted It wasn't only the off the field stuff.
    Like I said before -- it's what happens in KC that counts now. And there's an old saying -- stats are for losers. What Ryfo posted there doesn't guarantee squat.

Did a college career completion percentage of 52.0 keep this guy from having success in the NFL? Not even close. Therefore there really is nothing stopping Bray from having success in the NFL if he matures and improves his overall game, except maybe Bray himself.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    This entire discussion is irrelevant. Daniel will be cast aside to provide some cap flexibility so the Chiefs can address another need. In fact, I'd call up Houston and dangle him as trade bait. You can't tell me Daniel wouldn't at least contend for the starting spot against Keenum and Fitzpatrick.
    Who knows? It could have been the sole reason behind drafting Murray. Or there's a chance Murray gets stashed on IR this year. Time will tell.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 05-15-2014 at 01:51 AM.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Well I'm not going to drag this on any further but I stand by my thoughts unless Bray really shows something in camp and preseason I don't see him being on the opening day roster. I just don't see it. I don't see him pushing Daniel off the team. But time will tell. I could be wrong but at this point I just don't think Bray is going to be around unless he's on the pratice squad be we will see
    ​BAN ROY

Thumbs Up
    Received: 186
    Given: 51

2 Not allowed!
    We are hardly the only ones thinking Bray could be the best QB on the Chiefs roster. The links below are just a few I found real quick on the subject. You're being completely dismissive about Bray because you are so biased in your opinion about Murray. I like Murray. I liked him last year. Hell, if he were in the draft last year, I think he would've been the first QB off the board. But you need to take a breath. I don't care which QB is better. As long as they are the right QB for Reid, his system, and the Chiefs as a whole, I'm on board. However, looking at these two prospects right now, I think Bray will have the better career if he can get his head right. Murray could have a good career too... as long as he stays healthy. Both have question marks and it's ridiculous to write off a guy who has a prototype skill set just because he went undrafted due to off the field issues.

If the Chiefs were already floating the idea of putting Bray at the #2 spot, all he has to do is stay close to Daniel during OTAs and camp. If Bray does that, he'll be the #2 and Daniel will be out of a job.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/kansas-city-chiefs-tyler-bray-pushing-chase-daniel-164700138--nfl.html

http://allfortennessee.com/2014/02/1...arterback-job/

Teicher: Going to be interesting to see how the backup quarterback situation resolves itself. It's in the Chiefs' best interest to make that an open competition between Chase Daniel and Tyler Bray and go with the one they think is best. Bray has a ton of skill. He probably has more ability to make all the necessary throws than either Alex Smith or Daniel. But Daniel has a lot of intangibles, not to mention the experience of having prepared himself week after week for several years now to be ready to play at a moment's notice. If Bray would win that competition, the Chiefs would have an interesting decision on what to do with Daniel. They could save $1.4 million against their cap by releasing him. Unless they're desperate at that point for the cap space, they should keep him around.

http://kan.scout.com/2/1360082.html

Thumbs Up
    Received: 276
    Given: 874

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    THIS. And yes Daniels would be an upgrade over what the Texans have now. But it would be cruel and unusual punishment for any former Chief to have to go stand by Coach Crennel.

Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!
    Hey, I have nothing against Murray. I hope he does become a quality QB. But dismissing Bray this early because Murray was drafted is a mistake. It's too early to that.