Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Webnews: Chiefs draft Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray in the fif

Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 27

Post Webnews: Chiefs draft Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray in the fif

0 Not allowed!
    By Michael David Smith
    Aaron Murray, a prolific passer at Georgia who saw his draft stock decline when he tore his ACL late in his senior year, has landed in Kansas City. The Chiefs selected Murray with a fifth-round pick in the 2014 NFL draft, No. 163 overall. Murray looks like a good fit for Chiefs coach Andy Reid’s…
    Read more…

Thumbs Up
    Received: 113
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Hey, I have nothing against Murray. I hope he does become a quality QB. But dismissing Bray this early because Murray was drafted is a mistake. It's too early to that.
    I completely agree with this. I really think Daniel is the one who should be most concerned.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 573
    Given: 760

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    I completely agree with this. I really think Daniel is the one who should be most concerned.
    Thank you. How long has it been since we've had this discussion regarding two young QBOTF prospects competing on the KC Chiefs? I believe it's been forever or at least since Bill Kenney and Steve Fuller were on the roster circa 1980. Not a bad thing at all.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 323
    Given: 322

1 Not allowed!
    Two young QBs competing for a job on the Chiefs is a very good thing! What really impresses me is that these two young quarterbacks were both once considered to be really HOT prospects and yet all we gave up in order to get BOTH OF THEM was a 5th round pick. It remains to be seen if either of them will ever grow into being the #1 QB for our Chiefs, but I think this is a great example of how good Dorsey is at finding potential gems in the Discount Meat Rack.

What Dorsey does with the draft and UDFAs is sort of like looking for Gold. Any fool can go looking for Gold and find some if he goes to an established gold mine. But then, how many people will let you look in their established Gold mine? And any fool can go panning for gold in any stream out west and maybe he will find some gold. But chances are he will starve to death rather than strike it rich. If you want to strike it rich searching for Gold you'd best know a fair bit about geology so that the places you look are the kind of places that are MOST LIKELY to have Gold. It seems to me that Dorsey has shown he has a pretty good grasp of geology.

He's been looking in some pretty good places. And he has certainly found some "color". Now we have to wait and see if he has struck it rich or just found "fools gold". I'm betting that some of these players he has found on the Discount Meat Rack will turn out to be gold nuggets.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 381
    Given: 74

0 Not allowed!
    It's amazing how people see a QB differently I've never heard that Bray was a good prospect before. Is there some upside to him sure. But he has to show that to me more then against other teams 3s before i start to buy into it

But it's funny and great how people see him differently and has led to a good debate in the offseason Time will tell on Bray I just need some convincing before I get to excited for him. And I really don't see him pushing Daniel off the roster.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 22

0 Not allowed!
    Let's be honest...they'll probably both end up sucking. The Chiefs can't have nice things at QB.
    Diehard Fan Living in Packer Territory

Co-Founder: 2 Mugs Fantasy Football -- a site about and football!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 381
    Given: 74

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Let's be honest...they'll probably both end up sucking. The Chiefs can't have nice things at QB.
    Sad but true

Trent Green and Alex Smith are about as nice as I've ever seen. But I will say if I see the Alex that ended the year all next season I won't be to upset with that. And that could also make the debate a moot point

Thumbs Up
    Received: 573
    Given: 760

2 Not allowed!
    If that happens, then the finger can pointed at Reid and the coaches. It's not as though Murray and Bray don't have talent and potential -- they both bring more of that to the table than guys like Cassel, Palko or Croyle. If that happens, then it's a failure on the part of the Chiefs coaches. They have the nice pieces of Clay & now they need to mold it correctly.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    It's amazing how people see a QB differently I've never heard that Bray was a good prospect before. Is there some upside to him sure. But he has to show that to me more then against other teams 3s before i start to buy into it.
    I'm not claiming to know a lot about Bray. As I've said, I don't follow college ball so naturally I can't claim to know a lot about him. But what I have read here and elsewhere is that he was a real hotshot in college and was expected at one time to go pretty high in the draft but he then showed some immaturity and some off-field "issues" and declared a year early as it looked like his college career was screwed. Anyway, that is my understanding. But I don't know everything. Especially about college ball. So I could be all wrong on this. Can anyone confirm or deny my understanding of the situation with Bray and his college career?

But it's funny and great how people see him differently and has led to a good debate in the offseason Time will tell on Bray I just need some convincing before I get to excited for him. And I really don't see him pushing Daniel off the roster.
    My thought is not so much that Bray is going to "push Daniel off the roster". I certainly haven't seen enough of Bray to say that I think he is a better #2 quarterback than Daniel. What I do think is this.........

1) We have "Salary Cap Issues".

2) This looks like a tough season coming up. I'm not a betting man, but if forced to bet I would bet that we don't make the playoffs this year.

3) Alex Smith has proved himself a pretty durable quarterback. Both in KC and SF.

4) Reid believes that in Bray and Murray he has at the VERY LEAST the eventual #2 quarterback. *MAYBE* the eventual replacement for Smith.

5) In order to make some cap space Reid and Dorsey may be willing to take the gamble of trading or cutting Daniel and going with a #2 QB who is *maybe* not as ready to step in as Daniel is.

6) This would be a GAMBLE. But Reid and Dorsey strike me as gamblers who weight the odds carefully and then decide if a gamble is worth taking. With this looking like a tough year what with having lost a bunch of free agents and the tough schedule, Reid and Dorsey may be willing to take the risk of going with a questionable #2 quarterback to either get a draft pick for Daniel or just to free up some cap space by cutting him.

7) I think it is even possible that Reid and Dorsey decided to start Daniel against the Chargers last year in the hopes that he would have a great game and thereby perhaps make him interesting as trade bait. If we wind up trading Daniel for a decent draft pick for 2015 then the risk of going with Bray as #2 would start to look like a very acceptable risk. The salary cap has made the job of being a GM into a job where "risk management" is a VERY IMPORTANT part of the job.

Just my thoughts on the quarterback situation.

Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!
    Fair enough. But all jinx's and curses end sooner or later. Between Bray and Murray we *may* have the tools to break the Chiefs Quarterback curse.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Sad but true

But I will say if I see the Alex that ended the year all next season I won't be to upset with that. And that could also make the debate a moot point
    Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    If that happens, then the finger can pointed at Reid and the coaches. It's not as though Murray and Bray don't have talent and potential -- they both bring more of that to the table than guys like Cassel, Palko or Croyle. If that happens, then it's a failure on the part of the Chiefs coaches. They have the nice pieces of Clay & now they need to mold it correctly.
    Both statement are 100% EXACTLY SO.