Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Webnews: Chiefs draft Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray in the fif

Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 30

Post Webnews: Chiefs draft Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray in the fif

0 Not allowed!
    By Michael David Smith
    Aaron Murray, a prolific passer at Georgia who saw his draft stock decline when he tore his ACL late in his senior year, has landed in Kansas City. The Chiefs selected Murray with a fifth-round pick in the 2014 NFL draft, No. 163 overall. Murray looks like a good fit for Chiefs coach Andy Reid’s…
    Read more…

Thumbs Up
    Received: 451
    Given: 78

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan;29924I5
    'm not claiming to know a lot about Bray. As I've said, I don't follow college ball so naturally I can't claim to know a lot about him. But what I have read here and elsewhere is that he was a real hotshot in college and was expected at one time to go pretty high in the draft but he then showed some immaturity and some off-field "issues" and declared a year early as it looked like his college career was screwed. Anyway, that is my understanding. But I don't know everything. Especially about college ball. So I could be all wrong on this. Can anyone confirm or deny my understanding of the situation with Bray and his college career?
    See I do watch a lot of College football And I saw Bray play a lot. This is what I said last year about Bray when we signed him.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I get a lot of SEC football and mostly I agree he just does things that make you think WTF is he doing. But if Reid could pull of a miracle with him he could have some hope. The chances of that are like .1% but not much risk taking him post draft
    I've just never been high on and don't get excited about a preseason outing. I can understand why people do see an upside in him But I just don't see it being as good.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan;29924I5
    My thought is not so much that Bray is going to "push Daniel off the roster". I certainly haven't seen enough of Bray to say that I think he is a better #2 quarterback than Daniel. What I do think is this.........

1) We have "Salary Cap Issues".

2) This looks like a tough season coming up. I'm not a betting man, but if forced to bet I would bet that we don't make the playoffs this year.

3) Alex Smith has proved himself a pretty durable quarterback. Both in KC and SF.

4) Reid believes that in Bray and Murray he has at the VERY LEAST the eventual #2 quarterback. *MAYBE* the eventual replacement for Smith.

5) In order to make some cap space Reid and Dorsey may be willing to take the gamble of trading or cutting Daniel and going with a #2 QB who is *maybe* not as ready to step in as Daniel is.

6) This would be a GAMBLE. But Reid and Dorsey strike me as gamblers who weight the odds carefully and then decide if a gamble is worth taking. With this looking like a tough year what with having lost a bunch of free agents and the tough schedule, Reid and Dorsey may be willing to take the risk of going with a questionable #2 quarterback to either get a draft pick for Daniel or just to free up some cap space by cutting him.

7) I think it is even possible that Reid and Dorsey decided to start Daniel against the Chargers last year in the hopes that he would have a great game and thereby perhaps make him interesting as trade bait. If we wind up trading Daniel for a decent draft pick for 2015 then the risk of going with Bray as #2 would start to look like a very acceptable risk. The salary cap has made the job of being a GM into a job where "risk management" is a VERY IMPORTANT part of the job.

Just my thoughts on the quarterback situation.
    IMO the cap isn't going to have anything to do with what they do at the QB spot. Teams create cap room before free agency they don't do it right before the season. There just isn't much use to it because at this point the impact players for the most part have been signed. So I don't think the cap is going to have anything to do with the choice they make at the backup QB spot.

That given the tough schedule I think Reid is going to go with the guy he sees as the best option. No matter of who that is. He's going to chose who gives us the best chance to win that's his job.
    ​BAN ROY

Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 152

0 Not allowed!
    IMO the cap isn't going to have anything to do with what they do at the QB spot. Teams create cap room before free agency they don't do it right before the season. There just isn't much use to it because at this point the impact players for the most part have been signed. So I don't think the cap is going to have anything to do with the choice they make at the backup QB spot.

That given the tough schedule I think Reid is going to go with the guy he sees as the best option. No matter of who that is. He's going to chose who gives us the best chance to win that's his job.
    It may help with extending Smith and/or Houston's contracts. They are both going to be earning more money on their next contract, and thus be bigger cap hits. It may help to fit those contracts in if we free up Daniels full 3mil. But I will agree that cutting Daniels would do little for the cap. 1.4 million isnt going to help much at this point in the offseason.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 361
    Given: 414

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewchiefs
    See I do watch a lot of College football And I saw Bray play a lot. This is what I said last year about Bray when we signed him.

Fair enough. You base your opinion on Bray on what you saw of him playing college ball so that certainly trumps my opinion based purely on what I have read on the net. I can't argue as your opinion is based on what you've seen and mine is based on what I have read on the net. And we all know about stuff we read on the net.

As to.....

Quote Originally Posted by matthewchiefs
    I don't entirely agree with you. IMO the Head Coach's job is to work with the GM to determine what is best for the team as far as roster is concerned both in the short term AND ALSO in the long term. Once the final cuts have been made then yes, the Head Coach's job is to achieve the best possible results from that roster. And IMO you sometimes need to make small sacrifices in the short term to achieve the best results in the long term. Even if Bray is not as good as Daniel, it might be best in the long term if Daniel went away and Bray (or Murray) was the #2 this year. Maybe it is an acceptable risk this year. I'm not saying that is the case. I'm saying it might be an acceptable risk for the long term future of the Chiefs. Risk management. Might be an acceptable risk given how durable Alex Smith has been.

IMO a team is best served when the Head Coach and the GM have a great deal of mutual respect for each other's abilities and talents and discuss all decisions and actually pay attention to what the other says rather than the Pioli model of King and servants.

I think we have that in Reid-Dorsey. If Dorsey says...."Andy, Can you get by with Bray or Murray as #2, I need to dump Daniel as #2 to make some cap room." Then I think Reid would listen closely and give the thought serious consideration........even if he thought Daniel was the best possible #2 THIS YEAR. The potential reward might be worth the risk.....if Alex Smith stayed healthy. Backups is where you can afford to take risks.

The primary job of Reid and Dorsey is to get our Chiefs a playoff win and hopefully, eventually a Super Bowl win. And sometimes it is acceptable to take some risks if you think that risk will pay off....maybe not this year but next year or the year after.

But that is just the way my brain works.....and that don't necessarily mean I'm right.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Fair enough. You base your opinion on Bray on what you saw of him playing college ball so that certainly trumps my opinion based purely on what I have read on the net. I can't argue as your opinion is based on what you've seen and mine is based on what I have read on the net. And we all know about stuff we read on the net.
    I will admit i've been very wrong before and i could be wrong here. The truth is we just haven't seen all that much of Bray in the pros. So all I can do is go by what I have seen. I've said that if he steps up and shows something then there's a spot on the team for him for sure. But he's going to have to step it up and give them reason to put him on the team. That's just life for an undrafted player. He could very well do it. I just don't think he will.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    I don't entirely agree with you. IMO the Head Coach's job is to work with the GM to determine what is best for the team as far as roster is concerned both in the short term AND ALSO in the long term. Once the final cuts have been made then yes, the Head Coach's job is to achieve the best possible results from that roster. And IMO you sometimes need to make small sacrifices in the short term to achieve the best results in the long term. Even if Bray is not as good as Daniel, it might be best in the long term if Daniel went away and Bray (or Murray) was the #2 this year. Maybe it is an acceptable risk this year. I'm not saying that is the case. I'm saying it might be an acceptable risk for the long term future of the Chiefs. Risk management. Might be an acceptable risk given how durable Alex Smith has been.

IMO a team is best served when the Head Coach and the GM have a great deal of mutual respect for each other's abilities and talents and discuss all decisions and actually pay attention to what the other says rather than the Pioli model of King and servants.

I think we have that in Reid-Dorsey. If Dorsey says...."Andy, Can you get by with Bray or Murray as #2, I need to dump Daniel as #2 to make some cap room." Then I think Reid would listen closely and give the thought serious consideration........even if he thought Daniel was the best possible #2 THIS YEAR. The potential reward might be worth the risk.....if Alex Smith stayed healthy. Backups is where you can afford to take risks.

The primary job of Reid and Dorsey is to get our Chiefs a playoff win and hopefully, eventually a Super Bowl win. And sometimes it is acceptable to take some risks if you think that risk will pay off....maybe not this year but next year or the year after.

But that is just the way my brain works.....and that don't necessarily mean I'm right.
    I don't see why cap room would be a big deal right now enough to do that. The time that teams make cap room has passed. Unless someone they really want ends up cut then I could see that but I just don't think the cap thing will come into play at this point for this up coming season. After the season I can see it very well happening. That's why I think at the very least they would try to get Bray on the PS. But just going on what I've seen so far I think Daniel is going to go into the season as the number 2. But I wouldn't be shocked at all if this is his last season in KC
    ​BAN ROY

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    It may help with extending Smith and/or Houston's contracts. They are both going to be earning more money on their next contract, and thus be bigger cap hits. It may help to fit those contracts in if we free up Daniels full 3mil. But I will agree that cutting Daniels would do little for the cap. 1.4 million isnt going to help much at this point in the offseason.
    True

But I see those being things that get done after the season rather then before hand.
    ​BAN ROY

Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 122

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    No Charles, Davis, or Avery down the stretch of that game certainly doesn't help the cause of the Offense, now does it?
    Team did fine without charles, and defense had injuries....

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Let's be honest. The reason we lost that game was because of all the injuries. We lost important players during that game on both sides of the ball.

Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    They did fine without Charles but I think the point was they lost not only him but then there 2nd rb and one of there few WRs that could do something. Those things build up

And without going back into the rant about the defense they were already well on their way to blowing it before the injuries on the defensive end started but now on to happier times
    ​BAN ROY

Thumbs Up
    Received: 659
    Given: 814

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    That doesn't make Alex Smith a scapegoat for the Indy playoff loss, like some would make him out to be. He played far above anyone's expectations.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    They did fine without Charles but I think the point was they lost not only him but then there 2nd rb and one of there few WRs that could do something. Those things build up
    Absolute fact.

And without going back into the rant about the defense they were already well on their way to blowing it before the injuries on the defensive end started but now on to happier times
    Not entirely sure of the intent of this part, but being honest, losing a 28 point lead in the 2cond half is a team effort. The Defense allowed WAY too many points and the Offense failed to make that one extra score that would have saved the day.

Injuries played a HUGE role in that loss. But if I had to lay blame for that loss I would place it more on the Defense than on the Offense. I'm not sure how anyone could really disagree.

And yes....let's not talk about that game any more. It's in the past. We've stuck a fork in it. There is no benefit for us as Chiefs fans in picking that scab any more.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    That doesn't make Alex Smith a scapegoat for the Indy playoff loss, like some would make him out to be. He played far above anyone's expectations.
    DAMNED RIGHT!!!!! Only a moron like MMO/MMH could blame Alex Smith for that loss. Alex Smith played his heart out and did a fine job despite the loss of weapons that would have made many QBs give up.

But like I said, let's not replay that game. We can't change the outcome so we need to treat that game like that REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hot chick that dumped most if not all of us at one point or another. Put it away and while we will never forget it, it does no good to bring it up anymore.