Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alex Smith Contract Statistical Analysis

Default Alex Smith Contract Statistical Analysis

I came across this article that compares Smith's numbers and age to other QBs who recently signed extensions. Based on their analysis, Smith would get ~15 mil a year.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is what his agent is asking and we are low balling in the 10-12 mil range. I was thinking he would be worth 10-12, so I was surprised to see where he fell out. What are your guys thoughts?

http://www.spotrac.com/premium/resea...lex-smith-448/
    Last edited by Chiefster; 05-31-2014 at 07:28 PM.

I ask, how impressed you all were with Trent Greens first season as a Chief? Did he get a big contract after that first season? Value of an employee comes after production of more than one season. Do not mistake me, I like what Smith showed last season. Big improvement over what we had as a starter. But time needs to tell, and we have a great arm on the team and drafted a potential.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Please forgive the typo in the post title.
    All fixed!

I think we get a deal done; perhaps later rather than sooner. I just feel like we have given up way too much not to; of course an argument could be made that is the reason we shouldn't give him more money. Personally, I would like to see the deal get done.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    All fixed!
    Thanks! I'm a grammar/spelling nazi, so it pained me everytime I saw that typo.

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    I ask, how impressed you all were with Trent Greens first season as a Chief? Did he get a big contract after that first season? Value of an employee comes after production of more than one season. Do not mistake me, I like what Smith showed last season. Big improvement over what we had as a starter. But time needs to tell, and we have a great arm on the team and drafted a potential.
    Your point is one I have tried to make. We've only had Smith for 1 year. And while he showed some serious flashes of brilliance in the latter half of the season, the first half was....to quote many......that of a competent game manager. The second half was brilliant....for the most part. I just don't see how last season justifies a long term contract for $15 million per year or more with a big guarantee. I'd be happy to see us give Alex a 5 year contract for $75 million if the guaranteed money was $15 million or less. Something our Chiefs could get out of in a year or two with no major cap repercussions if that seemed the right thing to do. But based on last year's performance, giving Alex Smith a 5 year $85 million or more contract with $35 or more million guaranteed would be the height of folly.

I could live with the kind of payday PM got.....IF the contract had the many and varied escape clauses that PM's contract has.

I think Alex Smith has the ability under Reid's system to be a top 5 quarterback. But I'm not OK with giving him top 5 quarterback money based on what I think unless the guaranteed money is low.

Now....If we don't get an extension done and this season he looks as good or better than he did in the last half of last season then it's time to open the checkbook wide, because it means we have a legitimate top 5 quarterback who should have 5-8 more years left in him.

I LIKE Alex Smith. I like everything about him. Good man. Hard worker. Lots of heart. TEAM PLAYER. But before we give him a top 5 type contract I want to be DAMNED CERTAIN he is a legitimate top 5 quarterback. And he hasn't proved that yet. At least not in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Alex Smith WANTS to stay in KC. Damned problem is his agent.
    And to think he was a Chiefs player himself!

Alex will never be this good under a head coach not named Harbaugh or Reid. He knows it and his agent knows it. I think he will get a 13 or 14 mill/year contract and everything will be right again.

There is no need to rush it. His salary is low right now amd even if we did extend him his salary wouldnt go up. They would give him signing bonus to male up for it. But either way there is no rush to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    And to think he was a Chiefs player himself!

I know. But then his agent's name rhymes with condom and all those do is screw up what would otherwise be a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    I know. But then his agent's name rhymes with condom and all those do is screw up what would otherwise be a good time.
    Heh,... you read my thoughts.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast