Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alex Smith Contract Statistical Analysis

Default Alex Smith Contract Statistical Analysis

I came across this article that compares Smith's numbers and age to other QBs who recently signed extensions. Based on their analysis, Smith would get ~15 mil a year.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is what his agent is asking and we are low balling in the 10-12 mil range. I was thinking he would be worth 10-12, so I was surprised to see where he fell out. What are your guys thoughts?

http://www.spotrac.com/premium/resea...lex-smith-448/
    Last edited by Chiefster; 05-31-2014 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan
    Alex Smith WANTS to stay in KC. Damned problem is his agent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    And to think he was a Chiefs player himself!
    Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan
    I know. But then his agent's name rhymes with condom and all those do is screw up what would otherwise be a good time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    Heh,... you read my thoughts.
    I try at all times to speak the truth and call them like I see them. But y'know....this condom guy is making HUGE money as an agent. And he'd have been NOTHING if not for his time as a Chief. He should damned well be cutting our Chiefs a bit of a "Hometown Discount". What really SHAMES me is that this POS bloodsucker is from Ct. Here I am...a Ct Chiefs Fan....and this rotten SOB is hurting my Chiefs.

I think the NFL should be boycotting agents. "If you have an agent we won't employ you". NFL players are college graduates. They should be able to negotiate their pay without an agent. I don't have a college degree and I've negotiated some pretty good salaries over the years. No agents, no union....just dumbash me stating what I felt my services were worth. No agents would mean more money for the player and more salary cap room for the team. It's a WIN-WIN! I'm really starting to hate this condom guy.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    I try at all times to speak the truth and call them like I see them. But y'know....this condom guy is making HUGE money as an agent. And he'd have been NOTHING if not for his time as a Chief. He should damned well be cutting our Chiefs a bit of a "Hometown Discount". What really SHAMES me is that this POS bloodsucker is from Ct. Here I am...a Ct Chiefs Fan....and this rotten SOB is hurting my Chiefs.

I think the NFL should be boycotting agents. "If you have an agent we won't employ you". NFL players are college graduates. They should be able to negotiate their pay without an agent. I don't have a college degree and I've negotiated some pretty good salaries over the years. No agents, no union....just dumbash me stating what I felt my services were worth. No agents would mean more money for the player and more salary cap room for the team. It's a WIN-WIN! I'm really starting to hate this condom guy.
    He's doing his job. He doesn't owe The Chiefs any discount on some other guy's contract, nor anything else.

No agents would mean less money for the players. I mean, you could use your individual anecdotal story, and others like it to make a case. But the entire history of life on planet Earth is against you here.

Condon is one of the most respected agent in the league and usually does not trying to playing cat and mouse games with the Chiefs. He loves KC and has it made it his home and if anything helps the Chiefs by promoting them because of his ties instead of persuading people to stay away. He had some rocky times with Carl but that was Carl. Fact of the matter, as a Chiefs fan. I am offended that you are referring to him as a Condom and acting like he is the bad guy here. It is not like he the MLB aget Borris who does play games with teams.

He is looking out for the best interest for his clients . There is NO Home town discount for Alex. He was not born and raised a Chiefs fan. If anything he is a Chargers, Niners or Raiders fan since he grew in San Diego. So why would you think Alex would give the Chiefs a discount instead of getting a contract similar to Jay Cutler and Tony Romo. I am sure Alex wants to stay in Kc, but why should he take money from his family.

Why do you think trade talks of Brandon Flowers are up. Brandon is reluctant to restructure his contract because he will get paid regardless and would rather get a new contract on the market while still getting paid by the Chiefs. He has no loyalty here. Not a Condon Client.

Just wait until Eric Berry hits the discussions. Not a Condon Client.
    Last edited by Seek; 06-03-2014 at 08:44 AM.

So Colin Kaepernick was extended by the Fortywhiners ... 6 yrs, 100+mil. This is definitely not going to make our negotiations any easier. I can see Smith's agent saying "look, Smith has had a statistically better past 2 or 3 years than Kaepernick, he should get at least as much as Kaepernick."

As much as I like Alex Smith, I just don't see how anyone can suggest that his performance as a Chief so far justifies making him a top 5 paid quarterback. His performance last year for the first half of the season was decent to good. The second half of the season he was good to very good. This year he is going to likely face better opposing teams and he's going to face those teams with a team that has lost several starters. If with this tougher schedule he still gets us to the playoff and wins a playoff game then I will be the first person to say..."PAY THE MAN!" but I just don't see that his performance last year justifies paying him top 5 quarterback money.

No doubt in my mind that he is worth more than he got paid last year and I think he deserves an extension and a raise. But I just don't see any justification based on his performance last year for paying him $18 to $20 million. But it's all a gamble. If we don't get him signed to an extension now and next year he get's us past the first round of the playoffs then he'll be at the end of his contract and he'll be looking for more than $20 million.

It's situations like this that make me very glad I am not an NFL GM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    I am offended that you are referring to him as a Condom and acting like he is the bad guy here.
    It was not my intention to offend you. The only person on this board I have ever wanted to deliberately offend were MMO/MMH and a few trolls from other teams. So I will discontinue the use of the word.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    No agents would mean less money for the players.
    On this issue I stand corrected. I was under the mistaken impression that agents for NFL players acted in a way similar to the publishing industry where agents often take up to 50% of the advance on a book. Having done a little research I see that that is not the case and that the NFL has a cap on the percentage a player's agent can get. So at least in the case of NFL sports agents you are 100% correct and I was wrong.

On this issue I stand corrected. I was under the mistaken impression that agents for NFL players acted in a way similar to the publishing industry where agents often take up to 50% of the advance on a book. Having done a little research I see that that is not the case and that the NFL has a cap on the percentage a player's agent can get. So at least in the case of NFL sports agents you are 100% correct and I was wrong.
    And that's why I love this guy.

The willingness to admit a mistake is a rare trait.

One day, I expect, I will be wrong, and have to admit it.

It was not my intention to offend you. The only person on this board I have ever wanted to deliberately offend were MMO/MMH and a few trolls from other teams. So I will discontinue the use of the word.
    The word is fine. I just didn't see the connection to Tom Condon. To my knowledge he is on the Chiefs side, compared to ther agents. If you knew something different that I didn't know, it would have been nice to discuss, but your comments appeared to be at Agent in general and I just wanted to stand up for one of the good guys. He represented some good players for us. like Tony G

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    So Colin Kaepernick was extended by the Fortywhiners ... 6 yrs, 100+mil. This is definitely not going to make our negotiations any easier. I can see Smith's agent saying "look, Smith has had a statistically better past 2 or 3 years than Kaepernick, he should get at least as much as Kaepernick."
    If stats are that crucial in negotiations so should be appearances in conference championships and Super Bowls. There, Kaep edges Smith, fair or not.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast