Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alex Smith Contract Statistical Analysis

Default Alex Smith Contract Statistical Analysis

I came across this article that compares Smith's numbers and age to other QBs who recently signed extensions. Based on their analysis, Smith would get ~15 mil a year.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is what his agent is asking and we are low balling in the 10-12 mil range. I was thinking he would be worth 10-12, so I was surprised to see where he fell out. What are your guys thoughts?

http://www.spotrac.com/premium/resea...lex-smith-448/
    Last edited by Chiefster; 05-31-2014 at 07:28 PM.

Please forgive the typo in the post title.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Please forgive the typo in the post title.
    No problem & I'm going to throw a big curveball out here.

What if after the season the Chiefs put the franchise tag on Alex and then traded him to somebody for maybe a 2nd rounder?

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    No problem & I'm going to throw a big curveball out here.

What if after the season the Chiefs put the franchise tag on Alex and then traded him to somebody for maybe a 2nd rounder?
    I think the franchise tag number would be close to $20mil. At that point why not just sign him long term? Under this plan I am assuming he has a year that looks much more like the last half of the season than the first. I guess if you think he is not that good of a QB, then you would want to sign and trade him. Personally I think he is good, I just don't know if he is $15+mil good, but after reading that article, maybe he is ...

And IMO he hasn't yet proven himself. He was great at the end of the season and he was somewhat better than mediocre the first half of the season. If he will take $10-$12 million for a long term deal, then write the paper. If not, then let him play through the season and see how he does this season with this schedule. No QB wants to move every 2-3 years. Alex Smith WANTS to stay in KC. Damned problem is his agent.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    And IMO he hasn't yet proven himself. He was great at the end of the season and he was somewhat better than mediocre the first half of the season. If he will take $10-$12 million for a long term deal, then write the paper. If not, then let him play through the season and see how he does this season with this schedule. No QB wants to move every 2-3 years. Alex Smith WANTS to stay in KC. Damned problem is his agent.
    The problem is with this years schedule being so tough if we have a good year he will want even more money. I think he will have good year. My question ks how good lf a year and will he want more next year?

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    The problem is with this years schedule being so tough if we have a good year he will want even more money. I think he will have good year. My question is how good of a year and will he want more next year?
    That is the risk in not getting a contract done now. If we go 7-9, 8-8 or 9-7 and don't make the playoffs, then we probably get him for a few million per year less. But if we go 10-6, make the playoffs and win a playoff game then Smith's agent is going to want to make Smith one of the 3 best-paid quarterbacks in football. It's a gamble.

Alex should be the top paid QB in the NFL for how well he manages the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Lineup Dough View Post
    Alex should be the top paid QB in the NFL for how well he manages the game.
    Alex Smith is a real good QB. But he ain't that good.

Seems to me by the Draft the chiefs aren't trying to win this year. Letting players walk and awefull signings to give Smith help. It's like they don't want him to succeed. They just care about selling some tickets and nothing about championships. Sell the Fri kin team to someone who wants to win instead of it being his piggy bank. We have a golden spoon fed spoiled Bratt for a owner who doesn't have a clue.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast