Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alex Smith Contract Statistical Analysis

Default Alex Smith Contract Statistical Analysis

I came across this article that compares Smith's numbers and age to other QBs who recently signed extensions. Based on their analysis, Smith would get ~15 mil a year.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is what his agent is asking and we are low balling in the 10-12 mil range. I was thinking he would be worth 10-12, so I was surprised to see where he fell out. What are your guys thoughts?

http://www.spotrac.com/premium/resea...lex-smith-448/
    Last edited by Chiefster; 05-31-2014 at 07:28 PM.

I'm starting to think more and more that Alex Smith is a QB brought in to get us through the re-build phase that the Chiefs are about to go through. Expect a 2 or 3 year deal a la Brett Favre or Mike Vick to allow for the grooming of our own Aaron Rodgers or Nick Foles.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    I'm starting to think more and more that Alex Smith is a QB brought in to get us through the re-build phase that the Chiefs are about to go through. Expect a 2 or 3 year deal a la Brett Favre or Mike Vick to allow for the grooming of our own Aaron Rodgers or Nick Foles.

Do you know that what the Chiefs want matters about 10-15% in negotiations? Alex Smith's ground can ask for at least 4-15 per and say oh, you wont sign him long term ok bye. Then someone else will give him a 3-4 years deal for that money. He will get at last 4/16 per by KC. I;d bet my membership on this site he gets at least that or no extension.

The whole situation with Alex Smith is a female dog spealt with a "B". I hate everything about it. There were times last season when he looked.....well.....a little better than average. And then there were times when he looked as if the Manning Brothers should have been doing his laundry for him.

The situation SUCKS! Based on what we have seen, we might have a quarterback who was second only to Montana in the history of Chiefs Quarterbacks. Or we might have nothing more than a better-than-average quarterback. And I for one just don't know which he is.

And the salary cap just makes it tough to decide what to do. Thank God I am not Dorsey.

I'm not from Missouri, but I guess I must have some Missouri blood in me somewhere, 'cause I want Alex Smith to "Show Me" before we make him a top 5 paid quarterback. And for me, Alex Smith didn't show that last year.

I really like Alex Smith. But at this point I am just not convinced he is worth top 5 money.

We need cap space to make sure our quarterback has top quality guys to protect him and has top quality guys to throw to. Without those two things I think Alex is just "pretty good".

All in all, it really sucks that we are having this problem just 1 year after we went 2-14. I mean....lets be real....it's not like Alex Smith led us to 11-5 all by himself.

I want him to finish his career as a Chief. But more importantly I want to see some playoff wins and a Super Bowl win before I take my dirt nap.

I guess I just have to trust Reid and Dorsey on what to do with Alex Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post

I'm starting to think you may just be right. It's one hell of a risk, but....well....maybe....we just might already have the quarterback we need buried somewhere in the depth chart.

Quote Originally Posted by Lineup Dough View Post
    Do you know that what the Chiefs want matters about 10-15% in negotiations? Alex Smith's ground can ask for at least 4-15 per and say oh, you wont sign him long term ok bye. Then someone else will give him a 3-4 years deal for that money. He will get at last 4/16 per by KC. I;d bet my membership on this site he gets at least that or no extension.
    BAH! We will Franchise him.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    BAH! We will Franchise him.
    True. We can franchise tag him. But that would cost us probably $20 million for the year. The best thing would be to get a 3-5 year deal done. Smith get's his "retirement contract" and we get some stability at quarterback with a very good quarterback. Unless of course Reid is convinced that between Bray and Murray he has "The Guy" that can get us to the Super Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    True. We can franchise tag him. But that would cost us probably $20 million for the year. The best thing would be to get a 3-5 year deal done. Smith get's his "retirement contract" and we get some stability at quarterback with a very good quarterback. Unless of course Reid is convinced that between Bray and Murray he has "The Guy" that can get us to the Super Bowl.
    Until either one of thos guys proves they are or are not that guy. I don't see any rush in signing Alex. Now once they get at them in camp, or as the season goes on. The Chiefs will know more about continuing the talks or gambling on letting him go.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Until either one of thos guys proves they are or are not that guy. I don't see any rush in signing Alex. Now once they get at them in camp, or as the season goes on. The Chiefs will know more about continuing the talks or gambling on letting him go.
    Exactly so! Well said. Hopefully Andy Reid knows some things we don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Exactly so! Well said. Hopefully Andy Reid knows some things we don't.
    I'm going to put money on this

Absolutely! Perhaps I am a complete "homer", but I honestly think Reid knows what he is doing. It will take a little while, but I think he's going to get us to the Super Bowl. Wish he was 40 instead of an old fart like me. We'll probably only have him for at most 10 years. But I think he will be one of the coaches we remember. Some people say he is another Marty Schottenheimer. Maybe so. But right now the Marty years don't look so bad. Now I am going to commit the ultimate sin.......JUST WIN BABY!!! And I think Reid will do exactly that. The Chiefs will once again own the west!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast