Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bottom Line...what is your grade of the Chiefs draft

Default Bottom Line...what is your grade of the Chiefs draft

I will give them a C+. Did not blow me away, but also did not surprise me

C-. All our picks are boom or busts. And half have durability or injury concerns. Did we get one for sure solid player?

B- if you include alex smith since he took our 2nd round pick

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    C-. All our picks are boom or busts. And half have durability or injury concerns. Did we get one for sure solid player?
    IMO every pick is boom or bust. I just never think there is a for sure player in the draft. That's just how I look at it. you are rolling the dice with every pick the risk just dies a little each round
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Biggest need heading into the draft in my opinion was pass defense. We used our first 2 picks to address it. We used our 4th rd pick to address the loss of Dexter McCluster. 5th rd pick of Aaron Murray wasn't completely necessary but was a great value pick in my opinion. He could be our long term solution at QB if Alex Smith gets greedy.
    “I’ve just done this quarterback camp show for five years,” Gruden said on ESPN afterwards. “We’ve been fortunate to have a lot of kids come through here. He’s at the top of the food chain, Murray. There’s a lot of things to like about him: his production, his mental and physical toughness and the way he plays the position. I don’t know what round he’s going in. I never understood the draft, but he’s going to make somebody’s draft very, very exciting.”
    6th rd picks were used to add depth to a depleted OL. I like the draft. We didn't get a big time WR like many wanted. But one will become available via free agency during the summer.

I give this draft a solid B.

A+ for not allowing the media of fanbase to browbeat them into reaching for players that were not the highest rated players on their board when it came their turn to select -- specifically the WR and Safety positions. Only exception would be round 3 when WR Moncrief was on the board and they chose Gaines, but the choice of Gaines was directed at the biggest achilles heal over the 2nd half of the season -- pass defense -- so the choice of Gaines was understandable.

Yeah... I've gotta go with an A as well. We only had 6 picks and no 2nd rounder. I'm not as concerned about the Chiefs' WR position as the drive by "sport experts" who are grading the Chiefs nationally. Ford was a macro pick. We can't pay Hali AND Houston but we still need elite level pressure in our division. That pick allows us to sign Houston long-term. If for no other reason, Ford was a great pick. If Atlanta had been able to sway Philly for the #22 pick instead of Cleveland, they would have Ford and we would have Manziel or have traded back... I firmly believe. Ford would not have been available further back. Good pick.

Murray is an interesting pick and one that I think will pay dividends this summer. The Chiefs are going to be faced with something they haven't had... (EVER?) and that's QB depth. Alex Smith played better than expected last season, Daniel is making $3+m as a backup, Bray is 6'6 and has every measurable desired from a franchise QB, and then you've got your 5th round pick who seemingly fits perfectly into the Andy Reid system. Only 3 are making this team. There will be teams needing a backup or 3rd QB and will be looking at the Chiefs' surplus. If things go right, we could be looking at an additional draft pick in 2015 to go along with all the comp picks. Something to think about: The rumors are Mallet to the Texans. If that happens, Tyler Bray would be a perfect fit to follow Tom Brady... just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    IMO every pick is boom or bust. I just never think there is a for sure player in the draft. That's just how I look at it. you are rolling the dice with every pick the risk just dies a little each round
    Quoted for truth. They are all risks at some point, and all of them risk injury the first second of practice.

We'll get to grade them again at the end of preseason, regular season, and (hopefully) postseason.

Right now I'd give this grade a B-. Dorsey was dealt a crud hand and somehow managed to come out with something. There's a lot of GM's that wouldn't have been able to. Dee Ford is going to be fun to watch. The other fun part to watch will be all the speculation from fans/media/chiefs haters in contrast to the BS that Reid, Sutton & Dorsey will feed them to keep the guessing alive. Get ready to see Ford line up all over the place. Get ready to see Gaines speed get overlooked by opponents in a game, and then laugh as they pay for it. Get ready for the Bray/Murray speculations to heat up as Murray heals.

The big downside for me was weren't able to get any WR help. A big reason for this was the fact we didn't have a second round pick (Just sayin'...it would've been really nice to have a second round pick...) Alex Smith is worth it, but still...(*&^$!!. Moncrief was around in the third, but if Dorsey did what he said he'd do (BPA that fits the Chiefs) Gaines was a better value at CB than Moncrief was at WR.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Yeah... I've gotta go with an A as well. We only had 6 picks and no 2nd rounder. I'm not as concerned about the Chiefs' WR position as the drive by "sport experts" who are grading the Chiefs nationally. Ford was a macro pick. We can't pay Hali AND Houston but we still need elite level pressure in our division. That pick allows us to sign Houston long-term. If for no other reason, Ford was a great pick. If Atlanta had been able to sway Philly for the #22 pick instead of Cleveland, they would have Ford and we would have Manziel or have traded back... I firmly believe. Ford would not have been available further back. Good pick.

Murray is an interesting pick and one that I think will pay dividends this summer. The Chiefs are going to be faced with something they haven't had... (EVER?) and that's QB depth. Alex Smith played better than expected last season, Daniel is making $3+m as a backup, Bray is 6'6 and has every measurable desired from a franchise QB, and then you've got your 5th round pick who seemingly fits perfectly into the Andy Reid system. Only 3 are making this team. There will be teams needing a backup or 3rd QB and will be looking at the Chiefs' surplus. If things go right, we could be looking at an additional draft pick in 2015 to go along with all the comp picks. Something to think about: The rumors are Mallet to the Texans. If that happens, Tyler Bray would be a perfect fit to follow Tom Brady... just saying.
    Patriots wont trade for bray. They drafted a kid in the 2nd round as the future after brady.

Maybe houston will trade for one of our qbs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast