Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webnews: Chiefs rookie camp was “pretty physical,” despite CBA li

Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 27

Post Webnews: Chiefs rookie camp was “pretty physical,” despite CBA li

0 Not allowed!
    By Mike Florio
    Before the 2011 CBA was finalized, teams routinely disregarded the rule against contact in offseason workouts. After the new labor deal arrived, teams seemed to pull back on the physicality in the offseason. Or perhaps to be a lot more discreet about its existence. At least one of the Chiefs’ rookies didn’t get the memo…
    Read more…

Thumbs Up
    Received: 327
    Given: 326

0 Not allowed!
    Y'know.....these guys get paid a lot of money to be tough violent men on the field. In short.....gladiators. And they get paid well for it. They shouldn't whine about the violence. It is after all what pays their big paychecks.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 26

1 Not allowed!
    If the players aren't complaining, then the practices are too light.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 88
    Given: 1

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Y'know.....these guys get paid a lot of money to be tough violent men on the field. In short.....gladiators. And they get paid well for it. They shouldn't whine about the violence. It is after all what pays their big paychecks.
    I dont think he was whining. Just think he was saying he was surprised was all. Bit next time he should be more careful about his words.

Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    I dont think he was whining. Just think he was saying he was surprised was all. Bit next time he should be more careful about his words.
    Perhaps my choice of words was a little harsh, but I get kind of annoyed when I hear a professional football player saying that he is surprised by the violence. These guys earn more in one year than most people make in 10 years and that is not counting endorsement deals and other outside income that they earn because they are a player in the NFL. They surely wouldn't earn that kind of money playing tiddly winks.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I wish I could play just one year with the minimum pay. That would set me for life. I dont see how retired players go broke. If they invest there money wisely. I think the live and get used to living luxury that if they have to live check to check or even above average they think there broke.

Thumbs Up

3 Not allowed!
    Yeah I wish I could play just one year with the minimum pay. That would set me for life. I dont see how retired players go broke. If they invest there money wisely. I think the live and get used to living luxury that if they have to live check to check or even above average they think there broke.
    Good point. Once upon a time in my life back in the mid-'80s I made pretty big money--not football money--but $100K+. I thought it would go on forever and spent as fast as I earned. Home renovations, cars, boats, parties. Of course the big money job went away. Then I got divorced and the wife got the house, cars and boat.

One of the unfortunate things is that in the NFL these kids make crazy money at an age when they are not mature enough to realize it won't last forever....and for most of them it only lasts something like 3-5 years.

If the NFLPA really wanted to help the players they would create a mandatory financial planning class where somebody would teach these kids how to handle all this newfound money.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 4

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Good point. Once upon a time in my life back in the mid-'80s I made pretty big money--not football money--but $100K+. I thought it would go on forever and spent as fast as I earned. Home renovations, cars, boats, parties. Of course the big money job went away. Then I got divorced and the wife got the house, cars and boat.

One of the unfortunate things is that in the NFL these kids make crazy money at an age when they are not mature enough to realize it won't last forever....and for most of them it only lasts something like 3-5 years.

If the NFLPA really wanted to help the players they would create a mandatory financial planning class where somebody would teach these kids how to handle all this newfound money.
    Completely Agree! I think a portion of their salary should be automatically allocated to a trust similar to a 401K/annuity etc.. They can pocket any signing bonus they have and their portion of the their pay check but the trust portion they should not have immediate access to.
    Last edited by Seek; 05-29-2014 at 10:49 AM.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 26

0 Not allowed!
    It is pretty physical, despite popular belief,” sixth-round guard Zach Fulton

I don't know that this description is applicable for this guy.

Maybe he had wealthy parents. I don't know. But it sure seems like the discussion switched from these rookies to Retirees without batting an eye.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    It is pretty physical, despite popular belief,” sixth-round guard Zach Fulton

I don't know that this description is applicable for this guy.

Maybe he had wealthy parents. I don't know. But it sure seems like the discussion switched from these rookies to Retirees without batting an eye.
    Lol that wasnt my intention. I was referring to him saying he was surprised it was physical. I was just trying to say no one should complain cuz id do double the work for one year minimum salary cuz it would set me up if I invested it right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast