Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Webnews: Chiefs open OTAs without Justin Houston and Brandon Flow

Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 30

Post Webnews: Chiefs open OTAs without Justin Houston and Brandon Flow

0 Not allowed!
    By Josh Alper
    Like many other teams, the Chiefs held their first organized team activity of the offseason on Tuesday. Unlike some of those other teams, they did it without two of their defensive starters from last season. Terez Paylor of the Kansas City Star reports that neither linebacker Justin Houston and cornerback Brandon Flowers were in attendance…
    Read more…

Thumbs Up
    Received: 276
    Given: 873

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    Actually I think flowers would be a great fs. It would suit his skill set better and hes never been afraid to tackle.
    That's a good idea. Use Commings or Gaines to fill Flower's spot at CB.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 662
    Given: 822

0 Not allowed!
    Andy Reid said Houston and Flowers were told not to come.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 113
    Given: 162

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Andy Reid said Houston and Flowers were told not to come.
    This link says the exact opposite. What is your source?

http://espn.go.com/blog/kansas-city-...d-to-stay-away

Thumbs Up
    Received: 662
    Given: 822

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    This link says the exact opposite. What is your source?

http://espn.go.com/blog/kansas-city-...d-to-stay-away
    Oops, I goofed and misread it. They are staying away on their own merits.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 22

0 Not allowed!
    I love how Chiefs fans talk all draft about how we need help in the secondary and then talk about cutting Flowers. He's not going anywhere. Stop.
    Diehard Fan Living in Packer Territory

Co-Founder: 2 Mugs Fantasy Football -- a site about and football!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 4

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    I love how Chiefs fans talk all draft about how we need help in the secondary and then talk about cutting Flowers. He's not going anywhere. Stop.
    Where there is smoke there is usually a fire. Help in the secondary for me meant that 4 of the top 7 paid players against our cap were all in the secondary with Shawn Smith, Brondon Flowers, Dunta Robinson and Eric Berry. Dunta Robinson robbed the Chiefs of salary cap space. Flowers had one of his worste years ever last year, and was converted to our Nickel Back. A very over paid Nickel Back.

While I don't want Flower to leave because I know he is a very good Corner I see the writing on the wall and to while he may not go this year. I think it is safe to say, he won't be here next year.

Now if it comes down to keeping a frustrated one year struggling player in Flower over resigning a up and coming star like Houston or Alex Smith. I think it is very realistic the SMOKE you are seeing with trade rumors and him skipping camp is that he very well could be let go despite any one of our personal opinions about it. The writing on the wall also suggestEric Berry will be gone, unless he accepts a lesser contract that his rooking contract next year because I don't see the Chiefs paying him a huge contract with Tamba possibly going this year or next year for cap reasons as well. Next would be Bowe.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    While I don't want Flower to leave because I know he is a very good Corner I see the writing on the wall and to while he may not go this year. I think it is safe to say, he won't be here next year.
    That's what I'm getting at. I don't see them releasing a good CB, who despite making a lot of money, would still count as a $7M cap hit to save $3.5M in cap space. Makes zero sense to me. He did have a somewhat rough year, agreed, but just because a guy isn't a shutdown CB doesn't mean he's still not an asset to the team. Brandon Flowers isn't going anywhere this year (unless some team miraculously trades for him).

Now next year when you save $7.5M against the cap while only forfeiting $4M to cut him? Sure, that's more likely.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    That's what I'm getting at. I don't see them releasing a good CB, who despite making a lot of money, would still count as a $7M cap hit to save $3.5M in cap space. Makes zero sense to me. He did have a somewhat rough year, agreed, but just because a guy isn't a shutdown CB doesn't mean he's still not an asset to the team. Brandon Flowers isn't going anywhere this year (unless some team miraculously trades for him).

Now next year when you save $7.5M against the cap while only forfeiting $4M to cut him? Sure, that's more likely.
    I keep seeing sports journalists writing that we would save 7 mil if we cut/trade him and designate him as a June 1 cut. Im not familiar with those rules, but if that was the case, would that change your opinion?

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    I keep seeing sports journalists writing that we would save 7 mil if we cut/trade him and designate him as a June 1 cut. Im not familiar with those rules, but if that was the case, would that change your opinion?
    If he's cut, it's $7M in dead money. I promise. If he's traded, it's $2M.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-ci...andon-flowers/

In the trade case, the only thing that counts against your cap is signing bonus. He has the $2M roster bonus, which I think goes into place on June 9. So if he's traded after that, it would be $4M cap hit.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    If he's cut, it's $7M in dead money. I promise. If he's traded, it's $2M.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-ci...andon-flowers/

In the trade case, the only thing that counts against your cap is signing bonus. He has the $2M roster bonus, which I think goes into place on June 9. So if he's traded after that, it would be $4M cap hit.
    Ive been reading up on the post June 1 designation. It seems that if someone is cut before June 1st, all their guaranteed signing money is counted against THIS year's cap. If it is after June 1st, only the signing bonus for this year (2mil in Flower's case) is counted against this year, and the rest of his signing bonus (2 mil) is counted against next year. So it seems like it is kicking the can down the road, basically (which can sometimes be beneficial).

If I am understanding it correctly, a post june 1st cut means we would have dead money of 5mil this year and 2 mil next year for him. If we cut him before the roster bonus kicks in (sometime in the 2nd week of june, i think?), that would be saving another 2 mil, dropping his dead money to 3mil. Since he is due 10.5 mil this year, it seems as if we would save 7 mil if we cut him between June 1st and the roster designation. Maybe that is where they are coming up with the money.

Ill admit I may be completely wrong. I never heard of the june 1st designation until a couple weeks ago and am only now reading up on what it means.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast