Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Webnews: Chiefs open OTAs without Justin Houston and Brandon Flow

Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 27

Post Webnews: Chiefs open OTAs without Justin Houston and Brandon Flow

0 Not allowed!
    By Josh Alper
    Like many other teams, the Chiefs held their first organized team activity of the offseason on Tuesday. Unlike some of those other teams, they did it without two of their defensive starters from last season. Terez Paylor of the Kansas City Star reports that neither linebacker Justin Houston and cornerback Brandon Flowers were in attendance…
    Read more…

Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 1

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Ive been reading up on the post June 1 designation. It seems that if someone is cut before June 1st, all their guaranteed signing money is counted against THIS year's cap. If it is after June 1st, only the signing bonus for this year (2mil in Flower's case) is counted against this year, and the rest of his signing bonus (2 mil) is counted against next year. So it seems like it is kicking the can down the road, basically (which can sometimes be beneficial).

If I am understanding it correctly, a post june 1st cut means we would have dead money of 5mil this year and 2 mil next year for him. If we cut him before the roster bonus kicks in (sometime in the 2nd week of june, i think?), that would be saving another 2 mil, dropping his dead money to 3mil. Since he is due 10.5 mil this year, it seems as if we would save 7 mil if we cut him between June 1st and the roster designation. Maybe that is where they are coming up with the money.

Ill admit I may be completely wrong. I never heard of the june 1st designation until a couple weeks ago and am only now reading up on what it means.
    I think your right. They were talking about that on the radio with an agent and they said if he was cut after june 1st they would save 7 mill and that would prolly go to extending houston. The agent said that it would not go towards alex smiths extension cuz if they did extend smiths contract that smiths contract that hes already going make this year will take care of itself. Something about signing bonus or something like that would actually create more cap space and his amount against the cap would be just about what he was already. So sounds like if the chiefs wanted to extend smith they would have but they dont want to pay him cutlers numbers.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 22

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Ive been reading up on the post June 1 designation. It seems that if someone is cut before June 1st, all their guaranteed signing money is counted against THIS year's cap. If it is after June 1st, only the signing bonus for this year (2mil in Flower's case) is counted against this year, and the rest of his signing bonus (2 mil) is counted against next year. So it seems like it is kicking the can down the road, basically (which can sometimes be beneficial).

If I am understanding it correctly, a post june 1st cut means we would have dead money of 5mil this year and 2 mil next year for him. If we cut him before the roster bonus kicks in (sometime in the 2nd week of june, i think?), that would be saving another 2 mil, dropping his dead money to 3mil. Since he is due 10.5 mil this year, it seems as if we would save 7 mil if we cut him between June 1st and the roster designation. Maybe that is where they are coming up with the money.

Ill admit I may be completely wrong. I never heard of the june 1st designation until a couple weeks ago and am only now reading up on what it means.
    Ok I think you're right. So it's basically a $7M cap hit over 2 years after June 1. Was not aware of that at all.
    Diehard Fan Living in Packer Territory

Co-Founder: 2 Mugs Fantasy Football -- a site about and football!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 26

2 Not allowed!
    I am of the opinion that releasing Brandon Flowers would be, beyond the shadow of a doubt... foolish.

"Our secondary was hurting, we need to improve! .... I know, let's cut the only one that is GOOD, because it will only cost us X-Amount against the salary cap if we do!"

Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 22

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I am of the opinion that releasing Brandon Flowers would be, beyond the shadow of a doubt... foolish.

"Our secondary was hurting, we need to improve! .... I know, let's cut the only one that is GOOD, because it will only cost us X-Amount against the salary cap if we do!"
    Spot on.
    Diehard Fan Living in Packer Territory

Co-Founder: 2 Mugs Fantasy Football -- a site about and football!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!

I don't like the thought of moving on From Flower, Hali or Bowe. Like I said before, What does Shawn Smith have over Flowers other than size but fact of the matter, Flowers was moved to NB for some reason and he was more of a liability than anything.

But if it comes down to Flowers vs Justinn Houston. Who do you keep? Or Evern Flowers Vs. Justion Houston and Rodney Hudson.

What about Fowers vs Eric Berry?

The Chiefs have some big contracts coming up and we won't be able to keep them all. Who do you give up to keep Flowers with an undfriendly cap.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 312
    Given: 304

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    I don't like the thought of moving on From Flower, Hali or Bowe. Like I said before, What does Shawn Smith have over Flowers other than size but fact of the matter, Flowers was moved to NB for some reason and he was more of a liability than anything.

But if it comes down to Flowers vs Justinn Houston. Who do you keep? Or Evern Flowers Vs. Justion Houston and Rodney Hudson.

What about Fowers vs Eric Berry?

The Chiefs have some big contracts coming up and we won't be able to keep them all. Who do you give up to keep Flowers with an undfriendly cap.
    Exactly so. Upcoming contracts and the cap have our nads in a vice and the handle is getting turned.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 369
    Given: 74

0 Not allowed!

Look at you making sense I'm so proud

Releasing one of your best players is always foolish it just can't happen if you have any hope of being a contender. You have to get something for that player. People are making to much of cap room if they want Flowers cut. Having cap room is nice and all. But how can you be sure that your going to be able to get as much with that cap room as the value Flowers gives you?

IF it were to come down to you can only resign one Flowers or Houston I would go Houston. But you have to make every effort to bring both back IMO. Letting one walk or cutting one wouldn't be the best way to go

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Look at you making sense I'm so proud

Releasing one of your best players is always foolish it just can't happen if you have any hope of being a contender. You have to get something for that player. People are making to much of cap room if they want Flowers cut. Having cap room is nice and all. But how can you be sure that your going to be able to get as much with that cap room as the value Flowers gives you?

IF it were to come down to you can only resign one Flowers or Houston I would go Houston. But you have to make every effort to bring both back IMO. Letting one walk or cutting one wouldn't be the best way to go
    If they were just going to let him go. They would have already. It is 6/3 and he is still on the roster. I am sure they are still trying to shop him and will retain him as long as they can until resigning someone forces the issue.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 369
    Given: 74

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    If they were just going to let him go. They would have already. It is 6/3 and he is still on the roster. I am sure they are still trying to shop him and will retain him as long as they can until resigning someone forces the issue.
    I would agree with that cutting him now would just be pointless. If he is going to be moved it will be a trade. But I really don't see that happening.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Apparently in Ota's yesterday Donnie Avery made Shawn Smith look like Dunta Robinson or like Shawn Smith in the play off game requiring Saftey help getting beat by 5 to 10 yards.

Does anyone know if letting Smith go hurts the cap or help at all. Maybe they could convert Smith to Fs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast