Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Webnews: Chiefs release cornerback Brandon Flowers

Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 27

Post Webnews: Chiefs release cornerback Brandon Flowers

0 Not allowed!
    By Darin Gantt
    Brandon Flowers wasn’t around for Chiefs OTAs. And now he won’t be around for any other activities either. The Chiefs announced they had released the high-priced cornerback Friday afternoon. Flowers was scheduled to make a $5.25 million this year, and because of those numbers, the Chiefs were willing to trade him. They’ll be able to split the…
    Read more…

Thumbs Up
    Received: 322
    Given: 320

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    I think we had 2mil available before the move. The release of Flowers saved us somewhere around 5.3 or so. So, 7mil sounds about right.
    That would be a disappointment. The lowest number I had heard yet was that this saved us $7 million so I was thinking we were up to at least $9 million in available cap space.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 132

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    That would be a disappointment. The lowest number I had heard yet was that this saved us $7 million so I was thinking we were up to at least $9 million in available cap space.
    I think we had 2mil available before the move. The release of Flowers saved us somewhere around 5.3 or so. So, 7mil sounds about right.
    He saved us about $7.5 million. We had ~$2.5mil in space and now have about $10mil.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/cap/

Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 51

Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 1

0 Not allowed!
    I think the ext for houston will come any day now. Alex smiths contract will take care of itself for this year if they were to extend him now. His base will stay the same but they will add bonus and whag not to make up. So if they were cutting flowers so they can extend someone it would be houston.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    He saved us about $7.5 million. We had ~$2.5mil in space and now have about $10mil.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/cap/
    Those two numbers sound A LOT BETTER! I believe that would put us in the top 50% of all teams when it comes to cap space. Gives us some room to manouever.

I don't like losing Flowers, but if that was the cost of getting Houston extended then I think it was the right decision.

Last year our secondary looked decent when we got pressure on the QB. But when we didn't our secondary got torched. Hoping Ford can step right in this year.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 113
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!
    So Adam Teicher was just on and made the comment that he believe the Chiefs were trying to work out a new deal with Brandon Flowers but once they realized they couldn't trade him and a new contract would never happen they finally let him go for cap reason.

I guess the Chiefs could have let him go back in March or any time after and designated him a June 1 cut and still saved on the salary cap. So the fact they didn't part ways with him until 6/13 meant they tried to retain him but finally exhausted their options and cutting him before mandatory camp eliminated the risk of him getting hurt.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Still SUCKS! I guess the days when a good player stayed with one team for his entire career are well and truly over. One of the unpleasant side effects of the salary cap I guess.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 381
    Given: 74

0 Not allowed!
    Still SUCKS! I guess the days when a good player stayed with one team for his entire career are well and truly over. One of the unpleasant side effects of the salary cap I guess.
    While I do think those days are over for the most part I don't think it's an effect of the salary cap

Just look at baseball no cap and it is VERY rare probably even more rare then in football outside of the big market teams. If there was no cap the Giants and Jets would just take everyones players pretty much

I for one love the salary cap being a fan of the Cleveland Indians makes you really thankful for the cap in other sports. I have watched so many guys that the Indians brought up and made into stars go play for the Yanks,sox ect. I love the cap

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    I am not suggesting the cap should be eliminated. Just pointing out one of the unfortunate side-effects. I have to believe fans are catching on. Why would you pay BIG $$$ for a player's jersey when you know damned well that that player will be playing for another team in 2-4 years?

Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 1

0 Not allowed!
    I am not suggesting the cap should be eliminated. Just pointing out one of the unfortunate side-effects. I have to believe fans are catching on. Why would you pay BIG $$$ for a player's jersey when you know damned well that that player will be playing for another team in 2-4 years?
    Thats why iv only bought one jersey before and thats only cuz I got a deal who was able to get it for me for 30 bucks and still only did it cuz I went to my 1st chiefs game. The only time il buy one is for a franchise qb of we ever get one. My son likes the patriots cuz tom brady is his guy so I got him a tom brady one. But do you really need to buy them?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast