Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Webnews: No Justin Houston at Chiefs minicamp

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    14,301
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 30

    Post Webnews: No Justin Houston at Chiefs minicamp


    0 Not allowed!
    By Josh Alper
    A few teams are dealing with absent veterans during this week’s mandatory minicamps, including the Chiefs. Linebacker Justin Houston did not report for work on Tuesday, a day after coach Andy Reid said he did not know if Houston would be on the field with his teammates. Houston has stayed away from Chiefs workouts all…
    Read more…

  2. #2
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,449
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 107
    Given: 152

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Dammit. That is all.

  3. #3
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Drunken State
    Posts
    4,065
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 57

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Houston is under contract. Let him sit out the entire season if we must.
    SHUT IT

  4. #4
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Falls Village, Ct
    Posts
    4,093
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 361
    Given: 414

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Let the fines begin. He has a workout bonus of $25,000 this year (overthecap.com) plus he stands to lose something like $70,000 in fines if he doesn't come in this week. A $95,000 hit when he's going to make less than $1.6 million this year is sure to be noticeable. I have ZERO sympathy for players that are under contract that hold out from mandatory workouts. Especially in this case where he knows damned well we have just released a quality player (Flowers) to free up cap space to get his deal done. If he skips the entire MANDATORY minicamp then I would have no problem putting him on the trade block. Maybe Flowers didn't draw any interest, but I bet Houston would! These are the actions of a self-centered "it's all about me" little female dog spelt with a B. If he is going to pull this crap then trade him and give the money we released Flowers to get to Alex Smith. At least Alex isn't pulling this crap.

    Yes. In case you can't tell, I am MAJORLY pished off!

  5. #5
    Member Since
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    3,030
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 4

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Let the fines begin. He has a workout bonus of $25,000 this year (overthecap.com) plus he stands to lose something like $70,000 in fines if he doesn't come in this week. A $95,000 hit when he's going to make less than $1.6 million this year is sure to be noticeable. I have ZERO sympathy for players that are under contract that hold out from mandatory workouts. Especially in this case where he knows damned well we have just released a quality player (Flowers) to free up cap space to get his deal done. If he skips the entire MANDATORY minicamp then I would have no problem putting him on the trade block. Maybe Flowers didn't draw any interest, but I bet Houston would! These are the actions of a self-centered "it's all about me" little female dog spelt with a B. If he is going to pull this crap then trade him and give the money we released Flowers to get to Alex Smith. At least Alex isn't pulling this crap.

    Yes. In case you can't tell, I am MAJORLY pished off!
    He is a one of the most under paid players in the league set to make on 1.5 million in his last year of his contract. Yes it is his fault for failing a drug test a week before the draft but given his stats the last two years and the fact that he has yet to hit his prime. He will be getting a bigger pay check next year and given the fact he got hurt a couple times last year and knowing that Tamba Contract is not team friendly. He is looking to be paid his worth instead of risking injury for 1.5 million.

    Yeah, to you and me that is nothing to sneeze at but he has been nothing but a model player for this team since making his mistakes before the draft. He has come in an produced and has earned a contract and I don't blame him. Also, it is a good sign that he can sit and pay the fines but also means he has been planning this for some time as he most likely has banked these fines instead of blowing it like some players do. He is not paid a ton so these fines are not chump change.

    My only issue would be if he is holding out for top of the line money. If he is wanting more than want Tamba received, he needs to be prepared to sit a while.

  6. #6
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Falls Village, Ct
    Posts
    4,093
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 361
    Given: 414

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    but he has been nothing but a model player for this team since making his mistakes before the draft.
    I cannot agree. A "model player" does not hold out when he is under contract. Which is exactly what he has done. His lower end contract is a DIRECT RESULT of his actions before the draft. He had every right to stay away from voluntary workouts, but he is now a holdout despite knowing full well that we cut Flowers so we could free up some cap money for him. When he refused to show up for mandatory minicamp he CEASED to be a "model player" and reverted to the type of immature actions that caused him to be in the contract he is in now. "MODEL PLAYERS" LIVE UP TO THEIR CONTRACTS. Alex Smith is also in the last year of his contract and wanting a bigger contract and deserves one every bit as much as Houston. Where is Alex Smith? AT MANDATORY MINICAMP. Living up to contractual obligations is what a model player does.

    Sorry, but I cannot agree with you on the above statement at all.

    Please understand, I understand that he deserves more money and I think we can both agree that the Chiefs intend to give him more money. But his current actions are reprehensible.
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 06-18-2014 at 01:22 PM.

  7. #7
    Member Since
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    3,030
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 4

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    I cannot agree. A "model player" does not hold out when he is under contract. Which is exactly what he has done. His lower end contract is a DIRECT RESULT of his actions before the draft. He had every right to stay away from voluntary workouts, but he is now a holdout despite knowing full well that we cut Flowers so we could free up some cap money for him. When he refused to show up for mandatory minicamp he CEASED to be a "model player" and reverted to the type of immature actions that caused him to be in the contract he is in now. "MODEL PLAYERS" LIVE UP TO THEIR CONTRACTS. Alex Smith is also in the last year of his contract and wanting a bigger contract and deserves one every bit as much as Houston. Where is Alex Smith? AT MANDATORY MINICAMP. Living up to contractual obligations is what a model player does.

    Sorry, but I cannot agree with you on the above statement at all.

    Please understand, I understand that he deserves more money and I think we can both agree that the Chiefs intend to give him more money. But his current actions are reprehensible.
    Alex Smith = Apple vs Houston Orange

    Alex has been paid millions since the day he was drafted and should his career end today would be much more financially set than Houston. He also plays a position that affects the entire team while Houston got a third rounders contract and has very little impact to the team present or not. Truthfully his absence gives Ford more reps and only hurts Houstons development.

    He is a Model Citizen in regards to what cost him his draft status to drop to the 3rd round. Again you are talking about OTA's. He is still living up to his contract at the moment. He is paid to entertain the fans by playing in games. He has the right to skip OTA's and pay a fine for doing so, which is he is doing. Again, for a player to intentionally hold out of mandatory OTA and get fined. He was probably planning this shorthly afte the season ended last year and banked the fines in a savings account instead living beyond his means specially since he has not been paid a ton of money so far. Cutting Flowers has little to do with him skipping camp.

    I will have an issue is he holds out of training camp.

  8. #8
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Falls Village, Ct
    Posts
    4,093
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 361
    Given: 414

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Well....We simply have different views on this subject and I can't say that I see any chance either of us will convince the other to change his views. Don't get me wrong. I LIKE Houston and I think he is a great player. And I want to see him get a lot more money. But as you will recall from other threads, anything that I view as being detrimental to our Chiefs makes me very angry. Especially when it is done by one of our own players. What especially burns me in this case is that I'm pretty sure both Houston and his agent know full well that part of the reason for releasing Flowers was to free up cap cash at least in part for Houston. It's not like management is not showing good faith.

  9. #9
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,449
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 107
    Given: 152

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Has anyone seen any reports on how much Houston is asking for?

  10. #10
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Falls Village, Ct
    Posts
    4,093
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 361
    Given: 414

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Haven't seen a thing. Although this article http://arrowheadaddict.com/2014/06/1...nicamp/#!0WJzV suggests that he may be looking for something in the vicinity of 4years/$57 million or about $14 million per year. To me that seems like a lot for an OLB. One thing for certain.....if we pay an OLB $14 million per year it will be REAL HARD to convince Alex Smith to play for less than $18 million. I find it very annoying that after releasing Flowers we are still in cap trouble. Between Smith and Houston we have 2 players that are looking to earn a combined $32 million. That's close to 25% of the entire salary cap!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Webnews: Chiefs open OTAs without Justin Houston and Brandon Flow
    By Coach in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-04-2014, 04:13 PM
  2. Webnews: Justin Houston progressing toward return
    By Coach in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-21-2013, 12:16 AM
  3. Webnews: Chiefs will be without Branden Albert, Justin Houston
    By Coach in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-07-2013, 03:48 PM
  4. Webnews: ProFootballTalk: One-on-one with Justin Houston
    By Coach in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-26-2013, 08:00 PM
  5. Webnews: Justin Houston, Chiefs defense earning recognition
    By Coach in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-20-2013, 10:59 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •