Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remembering Chirstian Okoye!

Default Remembering Chirstian Okoye!

Guys...I'm a KC Chiefs fan on FB & someone posted about Christian Okoye. My beloved #35! I'm 48, so many of your younger guys might not completely understand. When Marty came to town, I was hopeful. The mid 70's & really most of the 80's was a complete joke. Then, we had Marty, Steve DeBerg, Christian Okoye & the BEST offensive line (of all-time IMHO) Our defensive was loaded as well. That 1990 playoff game against Miami was when I simply brokedown. I was 25 years old & I cried like a baby outside my parents home. Dave Szott (his rookie season) was called for holding, as Christian brought the ball to the 8 yard-line. Nick Lowey lined-up for a 45+ yard field goal & was "dead-on" & was short by less then a foot. I'll never forget that game. Please do me a favor & watch this Okoye video that will take 5 minutes of you life. He was a raw football player & made the best of what was given to him. Top 10 power running-backs of all-time IMHO. He only lasted 6 years.
    Last edited by KCMASS; 06-26-2014 at 08:52 PM.
    KC Chiefs fan since 1965!
    Home of the Middle East! Istanbul Club.

I'm only 22 so I obviously don't remember but I really enjoy looking over the old Chiefs videos and especially the video's of the 90's.

Love that running back, the Nigerian Nightmare. Wish we had him and charles together today. what a one two punch that would be.

Okoye was great. He was a really consistent weapon for us exactly when we needed a consistent threat. It never fails some dingbat broncos fan will always bring up the hit by Steve Atwater, but my response is always the same...That ONE hit is easier to remember than the HUNDREDS of times Okoye did it to everyone else!

My only complaint with Okoye was that he didn't catch very well. With that being said, I'd still much rather have had Christian Okoye than Harvey Williams when Montana showed up in '93.

He is probably the reason I am a Chiefs fan today. I loved watching him play, and when the Raiders move out of LA (grew up in SoCal), I needed a new team, and the Nigerian Nightmare made a strong case for the Chiefs. Montana solidified the choice for me.

Does anyone else remember how much of a beast Okoye was in Tecmo Super Bowl? If he was in excellent condition, he was literally unstoppable and would just run people over. I still remember the ridiculous scores when my brother and I would play basically Bo Jackson vs. Okoye. It was basically a contest to see who could get a successful onside kick, because every possession would end in a touchdown. Your only hope to win was to recover an onside.

Like any older Chiefs fan I remember Okoye well. He was a GREAT runner. Thanks for sharing the vid KCMASS! Naturally, I have seen it many times but it is always fun to watch again.

I think it fair to say the Chiefs has almost always had a excellent RB. I wished we could say the same for our QB's over the years. I know in my heart that 1990 season, we were destined for the Super Bowl. If we could have gotten by Miami, it would have been the NY Giants & us. I loved our coaches on Defense, Bill Cowher (DC) & Tony Dungy (DB Coach) Steve DeBerg threw for 23 TD's & 4 INT's (3 coming from one game alone) I still think DeBerg is the best play-action passer there ever was. I remember how the NFL cameras would be fooled by him, then he throw a 60+ yard bomb to Stephone Paige! I think that YouTube video really shows us what the real Christian Okoye was all about. A kind hearted-soul that didn't know much about football, but succeeded with his God-given talent.
    KC Chiefs fan since 1965!
    Home of the Middle East! Istanbul Club.

That clip of him in Azusa Pacific Orange and Black brought back memories. I was a Cougar from '79-'81. Never met Okoye but it's pretty cool we both (I'm sure coach Milhon did not change his routine) ran the "hill" at Hillside. Those two-a-day practices were brutal for this Alaskan!

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    He is probably the reason I am a Chiefs fan today. I loved watching him play, and when the Raiders move out of LA (grew up in SoCal), I needed a new team, and the Nigerian Nightmare made a strong case for the Chiefs. Montana solidified the choice for me.

Does anyone else remember how much of a beast Okoye was in Tecmo Super Bowl? If he was in excellent condition, he was literally unstoppable and would just run people over. I still remember the ridiculous scores when my brother and I would play basically Bo Jackson vs. Okoye. It was basically a contest to see who could get a successful onside kick, because every possession would end in a touchdown. Your only hope to win was to recover an onside.
    This is the reason I'm a Chiefs fan today. I know it's crazy and not the way most Chiefs fans become a fan, but I was in 3rd grade at the time and this was a huge deal. I loved Okoye and still do. Okoye led to DT... who I got to meet when I found out my aunt's cousin in-law was Dino Hacket. After that, I was hooked for life.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    This is the reason I'm a Chiefs fan today. I know it's crazy and not the way most Chiefs fans become a fan, but I was in 3rd grade at the time and this was a huge deal. I loved Okoye and still do. Okoye led to DT... who I got to meet when I found out my aunt's cousin in-law was Dino Hacket. After that, I was hooked for life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast