Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webnews: Preseason Power Rankings No. 17: Kansas City Chiefs

Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 27

Post Webnews: Preseason Power Rankings No. 17: Kansas City Chiefs

0 Not allowed!
    By Mike Wilkening
    At their best, the Chiefs are playoff-caliber. The Chiefs proved it a season ago with their sound, stout play en route to a wild card berth. The Chiefs forced 36 turnovers and committed a mere 18. Their defense proved too tough for weaker opposition. By early November, the Chiefs were 9-0 and had all but…
    Read more…

Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 121

0 Not allowed!
    Not bad (I was predicting 7-9 or 8-8 anyways)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 6

0 Not allowed!
    About right, all things point towards a mediocre season for us.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 142

0 Not allowed!
    I think we should have been ranked a little higher, in the top 15 or so, but I always take these rankings as a +/- 3 spots, so not far off. Realistically, talent and ability wise I think we would be around 12-14. But I think our schedule is going to out our record (I'm predicting 8-8 +/- 1) closer to 16-18 ranked team. So overall, I think they have a decent evaluation.

I do think our offense will be better than what they were predicting. After all the offense performed pretty well without JC in the playoffs. If they can keep up that production, we should be fine. To me the bigger question is which defense is going to show up. The one who shut out the weaker opponents, or the one who gave up the biggest comeback in playoff history.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 341
    Given: 355

0 Not allowed!
    As always, injuries or lack thereof will be critical. With our free agency and cut losses I feel fairly confident that both our offense and defense are only 1 key injury away from being in very bad trouble.

Then there are the imponderables......

1) Will Justin Houston hold out?

2) Will Dwayne Bowe be a star or a dud? He does after all have a history of up and down seasons.

3) Will Eric Fisher (now playing at the position he was drafted for) be a stud or a dud?

4) Will Alex Smith be the "game manager" we saw for the first half of last season or will he be the gunslinger we saw against the Colts, Washington and a few others?

And there are LOTS more.

All of the above means it's awfully difficult to make any predictions about this years Chiefs team.

If everything goes right I can see us going 10-6 or even 11-5 again. If everything goes wrong I could see us going 4-12.

So for now and "pending further review" I figure we go somewhere between 9-7 and 7-9. We have MUCH BETTER coaching than we have had since Herm the Worm came to town. Andy Reid gets more out of his players than Herm, Haley or Romeo ever did.

That is worth at least 2-3 extra wins.

We'll see how this rebuilding season goes, but with Reid at the helm I am optimistic about 2015-2018.

On the GM front, I like Dorsey.....but I think the jury is still out on how good a GM he is. I'm unimpressed with his contract negotiations and so far his supposed specialty of finding gold in the scrap heap is unproved. We've gotten Bray and Dressler and a few others, but these kinds of players take time to develop so IMO it's too early to pass judgement on Dorsey one way or the other. But there is NO DOUBT AT ALL IN MY MIND that Dorsey is a HUGE improvement over pissoli.

As far as I am concerned the Reid/Dorsey team earned themselves a minimum of 3 more more years with last years 11-5 record.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!
    realistically with the off season we've had 6 wins..maybe.. being serious..we need a new owner that actually wants to win a SB and not just fill seats.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 142

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro_Angler View Post
    realistically with the off season we've had 6 wins..maybe.. being serious..we need a new owner that actually wants to win a SB and not just fill seats.
    You keep saying the owner's actions show that he just wants to fill seats, but I have no clue how any of his actions this offseason correlate to getting more people to buy tickets. If that was his goal, he has done a horrible job. All of the moves they made were to undo the crappy contracts from previous years, as well as setting us up to have better FA/drafting in future years. What did you want, keep everyone and add a bunch of all stars that want a lot of money. News flash, we were in salary cap purgatory. We are now able to extend players like Houston and possibly Smith.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 341
    Given: 355

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    You keep saying the owner's actions show that he just wants to fill seats, but I have no clue how any of his actions this offseason correlate to getting more people to buy tickets. If that was his goal, he has done a horrible job. All of the moves they made were to undo the crappy contracts from previous years, as well as setting us up to have better FA/drafting in future years. What did you want, keep everyone and add a bunch of all stars that want a lot of money. News flash, we were in salary cap purgatory. We are now able to extend players like Houston and possibly Smith.
    The voice of reason.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 424
    Given: 78

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro_Angler View Post
    Pro maybe you can outline for us what it was that happened this offseason that upset you with Clark, because I just don't understand your issue with him.

Clark Hunt is the owner of the team. He's not Jerry Jones he's not the owner that gets in the way he lets his GM do his job. Your issue if you're unhappy with this offseason should be with Dorsey not Clark as he is the one in charge of putting the team together.

As jap pointed out this was a team that had major cap issues this offseason. This is not baseball where a team can just go out and spend whatever they want. They didn't have a ton of cap room. And unlike some teams have done in the past they didn't try to do some funny tricks to create cap room.

But outside of that if you don't like these types of offseasons that you're just going to have to get use to if John Dorsey is going to be around for a while. I've said this all offseason. He's a build through the draft guy. He's not going to go get a lot of high price free agents. It's just not how he does things. And you know what THAT'S GOOD. Anther thing I've said all offseason is teams who do what Denver did this offseason just doesn't work out. This is the best example I can give. Think of the uncapped year we had a few years ago. Philly,Dallas,Chicago all went out spent a TON of money. Philly was called a "dream team" who went to the superbowl that year. Green Bay and Pittsburgh two teams that build through the draft and don't get a lot of high price free agents.

I do expect this team to take a bit of a step back this year. But I do think they will be in the running for a playoff spot. People got to remeber that while this team didn't go out and get a bunch of top guys they didn't lose anything all that great either. Flowers was damn good true but he was hurt many games last year along with the other main guy that was lost in Albert. Also this teams backups nearly beat a playoff team fighting for their lifes last season and without a refs mistake they very well could have. It's not as dark as it seems folks
    ​BAN ROY

Thumbs Up
    Received: 121
    Given: 4

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Pro maybe you can outline for us what it was that happened this offseason that upset you with Clark, because I just don't understand your issue with him.

Clark Hunt is the owner of the team. He's not Jerry Jones he's not the owner that gets in the way he lets his GM do his job. Your issue if you're unhappy with this offseason should be with Dorsey not Clark as he is the one in charge of putting the team together.

As jap pointed out this was a team that had major cap issues this offseason. This is not baseball where a team can just go out and spend whatever they want. They didn't have a ton of cap room. And unlike some teams have done in the past they didn't try to do some funny tricks to create cap room.

But outside of that if you don't like these types of offseasons that you're just going to have to get use to if John Dorsey is going to be around for a while. I've said this all offseason. He's a build through the draft guy. He's not going to go get a lot of high price free agents. It's just not how he does things. And you know what THAT'S GOOD. Anther thing I've said all offseason is teams who do what Denver did this offseason just doesn't work out. This is the best example I can give. Think of the uncapped year we had a few years ago. Philly,Dallas,Chicago all went out spent a TON of money. Philly was called a "dream team" who went to the superbowl that year. Green Bay and Pittsburgh two teams that build through the draft and don't get a lot of high price free agents.

I do expect this team to take a bit of a step back this year. But I do think they will be in the running for a playoff spot. People got to remeber that while this team didn't go out and get a bunch of top guys they didn't lose anything all that great either. Flowers was damn good true but he was hurt many games last year along with the other main guy that was lost in Albert. Also this teams backups nearly beat a playoff team fighting for their lifes last season and without a refs mistake they very well could have. It's not as dark as it seems folks
    I think he is upset with Clark Hunt for coming in an letting go of Carl Peterson after many felt his father was too loyal to him, and brought in who everyone thought was the best possible GM, with Scott Pioli. I don't recall anyone upset with Clark during this time. I even saw signs in the crowd Carls last year, to Hire Pioli during the games. Everyone saw the serious side of Clark and his intent to be the best.

Clark was then able to admit that it was a mistake and then went out and hired a head coach with a very strong history in winning, then hired a GM tied another a team rich with history, but said this time everything has to go through me for a final say just to make sure the same mistakes were not made with Pioli.

So instantly in one year making this change they went from worste to first and to the play offs but at a cost, so why not blame the Owner he does not care at all about getting this team to a superbowl or being a highly respected YOUNG owner who was very infused in the collective bargain discussions being the voice for all teams big and small. It has always been about filling his pockets and not the for the greater good of the KC Chiefs.

Pro has a right to his opinion. However, he is clearly opinionated by some sort of anger directed at the wrong person and possibly team. I think he may be confused with the Royals and Glass ownership who is selling a Walmart product of a sports team. I am very pleased with Clark Hunt as the owner and respect him just as much as his father who was a staple for the NFL not just the Chiefs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast