Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webnews: Still upset with Chiefs, Justin Houston is currently exp

Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 27

Post Webnews: Still upset with Chiefs, Justin Houston is currently exp

0 Not allowed!
    By Mike Florio
    Of all the 2011 draft picks who entered the NFL as rookie wage-scale guinea pigs, none of the guys who lost the most have shown an inclination to hold out of training camp in order to get a new contract. So far, only one of the guys drafted that year has taken a stand —…
    Read more…

Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 4

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think the Chiefs are willing to part ways with Tamba Hali yet. The release of Brandon Flowers was intended to go towards Alex Smith's contract but Houston is putting that on hold. The drafting of Ford was to give him one year of developement behind Tamba and then let Tamba go next year freeing up more money to sign Houston. (This is my opinion of the situation)

Houston's hold out is now forcing the Chiefs to pick him over the QB. When I think they want some questions marks answered before making that call.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 46

0 Not allowed!
    Man up Houston - and honor your contract. The money will be there if you leave it on the field.
    SHUT IT

Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 3

1 Not allowed!
    Houston is a fantastic player, but the team has to come first. Tom Brady took a big pay cut to make his team better. Houston needs to suck it up and make a play for more money at the end of this next season.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 327
    Given: 326

1 Not allowed!
    We're facing some tough choices this year and next. This year both Justin Houston and Alex Smith are in the last year of their contracts and wanting extensions. Next year Jamaal Charles will be in the last year of his contract and wanting an extension. And all 3 of them are going to want to be paid like a top 3 player at their position. The 3 of them combined are probably going to cost us more than $45 million per year. That's about 29% of the total current salary cap. This represents roughly 6% of the roster getting 29% of the budget. This leaves 71% of the budget to pay 94% of the roster. This doesn't leave much room for too many more players getting top 3 pay for their position. This is why John Dorsey's supposed talent for finding great value in the latter part of the draft and outside the draft is so very important. If we are going to be able to keep our real stars we have to have a lot of players playing on low cost rookie contracts. Eric Fisher needs to really step up his game this year. He is going to cost us $5 million this year, $6 million in 2015 and $7 million in 2016. We can't afford to be paying that kind of money to guys that don't produce.

I understand the importance of the cap to small market teams, but in my opinion the salary cap is just too damned low.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 76

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by azchiefsfan View Post
    Houston is a fantastic player, but the team has to come first. Tom Brady took a big pay cut to make his team better. Houston needs to suck it up and make a play for more money at the end of this next season.
    Tom Brady already is set for the rest of his life money wise. Not the same for Justin Houston. Houston played well and wants to be paid. Although he should be paid I think he should be willing to settle for a bit less than what he is worth, given he's trying to get it early

Thumbs Up
    Received: 583
    Given: 773

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Eric Fisher needs to really step up his game this year. He is going to cost us $5 million this year, $6 million in 2015 and $7 million in 2016. We can't afford to be paying that kind of money to guys that don't produce.
    Agreed, and I like Fisher as much as anybody but we need to see progress and we need to be shown why he was taken #1 overall.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 327
    Given: 326

1 Not allowed!
    You are SO RIGHT! His performance last year was not up to #1 overall draft pick. He was playing out of position. Fact. He was playing hurt much of the time. Fact. He improved as the year went on. Fact. But in the end when you are the #1 overall pick you HAVE TO PRODUCE. Like you, I backed him when many said he he had turned out to be a dud pick. And I don't agree with that. But this year he is going to be playing the position he was drafted to play. No more excuses. It is time for Fisher to prove why he was taken with the #1 overall draft pick. We need some major production from this guy. If we don't get it, then all he is doing is taking money away from the guys that DO get their job done.

Sorry for the rant....I've been thinking about our cap problem all day and all the top tier players we have wanting extensions this year or next and it has me real hot under the collar at any player that I don't see as giving $5 worth of value for every $3 they are paid. Time for Fisher to show why he was the #1 pick overall.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 22

0 Not allowed!
    Just need to get Alex Smith deal done. While also Fisher needs to prove he is the #1 draft pick that is so worthy. After a really not so good rookie year.
    ​Autumn Winds!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 247
    Given: 736

2 Not allowed!
    When it comes to Justin Houston story...If he doesn't get the contract signed by training camp and reports anyway, I'd interpret it as a huge statement to Houston's commitment to KC. He's an impact player and deserves a contract to match.

When it comes to what's going on with Smith & Houston, I think it boils down to this...We've only got so much money to work with. IMHO the Tony Romo deal sank a lot of teams from ever being able to afford a decent free agent QB. That was unreal money for a marginal/streaky QB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast