Thread: Webnews: Alex Smith hoping to find the right answer for extension

Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 27

Post Webnews: Alex Smith hoping to find the right answer for extension

0 Not allowed!
    By Darin Gantt
    Alex Smith found a soft landing spot in Kansas City last year, and now he wants to call it home for a long time. The Chiefs quarterback told Randy Covitz of the Kansas City Star that he wants to get an extension done, and the sooner the better. “I’d love to have it done,” Smith…
    Read more…

Thumbs Up
    Received: 336
    Given: 349

0 Not allowed!
    Well.....Alex Smith is certainly saying all the right things. But we don't really know what is going on inside his head. The smart guys always say the right things in public when a contract is being negotiated. And whatever is said about Alex Smith he's certainly smart.

The problem of course is the salary cap. We have 2 excellent players both wanting big extensions this year (Smith and Houston) and we simply don't have the cash to pay them. This is the final contract year for both, and next year we will have Jamaal Charles wanting an extension.....and that is going to be another HUGE pot full of money. My guess is that we will keep all 3 of these guys but may wind up using the Franchise tag on some of them. I also expect we will see some more of our upper tier players with big contracts being traded or released to make the cap room for these 3.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 141

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Well.....Alex Smith is certainly saying all the right things. But we don't really know what is going on inside his head. The smart guys always say the right things in public when a contract is being negotiated. And whatever is said about Alex Smith he's certainly smart.

The problem of course is the salary cap. We have 2 excellent players both wanting big extensions this year (Smith and Houston) and we simply don't have the cash to pay them. This is the final contract year for both, and next year we will have Jamaal Charles wanting an extension.....and that is going to be another HUGE pot full of money. My guess is that we will keep all 3 of these guys but may wind up using the Franchise tag on some of them. I also expect we will see some more of our upper tier players with big contracts being traded or released to make the cap room for these 3.
    I think Dontari Poe is going to be looking for an extension next offseason too.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    I think Dontari Poe is going to be looking for an extension next offseason too.
    You are 100% correct. I missed that. So this year we are dealing with contract extension talks with Alex Smith and Justin Houston and next year we are going to have to deal with contract extension talks with Jamaal Charles and Dontari Poe....plus maybe either Alex Smith or Justin Houston having been hit with the Franchise Tag.

I think it is pretty much a given that Tamba Hali is traded or released next year (cap savings $9 million) and I can also see Eric Berry becoming a cap casualty next year (cap savings $5.45 million). Derrick Johnson will also be looking for an extension next year and trading or releasing him would represent $5.25 million in cap savings. Still only adds up to $19.7 million in cap savings and that doesn't even cover what Alex Smith and Justin Houston will want. Where is the money for Jamaal Charles and Dontari Poe?

I don't know how or why and I don't understand the contract process well enough to really offer an opinion, but it surely seems we are in Cap Hell this year, and it would appear we will be in Cap Hell next year.

I surely hope John Dorsey knows what he is doing with contracts and juggling cap space because this is starting to look like real problem.
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 07-18-2014 at 03:07 PM.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 141

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    You are 100% correct. I missed that. So this year we are dealing with contract extension talks with Alex Smith and Justin Houston and next year we are going to have to deal with contract extension talks with Jamaal Charles and Dontari Poe....plus maybe either Alex Smith or Justin Houston having been hit with the Franchise Tag.

I think it is pretty much a given that Tamba Hali is traded or released next year (cap savings $9 million) and I can also see Eric Berry becoming a cap casualty next year (cap savings $5.45 million). Derrick Johnson will also be looking for an extension next year and trading or releasing him would represent $5.25 million in cap savings. Still only adds up to $19.7 million in cap savings and that doesn't even cover what Alex Smith and Justin Houston will want. Where is the money for Jamaal Charles and Dontari Poe?

I don't know how or why and I don't understand the contract process well enough to really offer an opinion, but it surely seems we are in Cap Hell this year, and it would appear we will be in Cap Hell next year.

I surely hope John Dorsey knows what he is doing with contracts and juggling cap space because this is starting to look like real problem.
    Im too lazy to look it up, but I believe part of the problem is that we have like $10mil of dead money counting against us this year. Most if not all of that will be gone next year.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    I surely hope you are right. Our cap space problems are starting to look much worse than I ever thought.