Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My expectations going into this new season

Default My expectations going into this new season

With camps opening this week I thought I would give my thoughts and expectations for the year. Many have stated that they are expecting the Chiefs to take a step backwards this season. And I would have to agree with that. However I don't think they are going to take a huge step back. My expectations is this team to contend for a playoff spot but come up a bit short. I know some are thinking there goes homer matt again but let me outline my thinking here.

1. This teams BACKUPS nearly and some think DID beat a playoff team last season. I will say again THIS TEAMS BACKUPS did that. They had nothing to play for. The Chargers had EVERYTHING to play for. And it's not like they were just some weak team that got in and did nothing they won a playoff game. Again OUR BACKUPS nearly beat a team that WON in the playoffs last year.

2. This is something that I have mentioned before and haven't really seen anyone talk about. GROWTH from the guys who were here last year. Not just the rookies but the Vets in Andy Reid's system. Anyone who watched this team last season had to see the growth in the offense from the start to the end of the year. It can't be denied. That growth didn't happen because "of a weak schedule" No it happened during the heart of our schedule and carried on into the playoffs. IF the growth can continue from that then this offense is going to be something to deal with.

3. The offseason wasn't as bad as it looks on paper. Outside of Flowers we didn't lose anyone who really gave us a ton. Brandon Albert would be the next "big loss" but I really don't see that as one. IF you look back at last season most the sacks this team gave up didn't come from the side Fisher (the skapegoat) played on oh no it came from Mr.TOP 5 LT's side. That along with the fact he again missed a good chunk of the season really what did we lose there? Brandon Albert was a solid LT nothing more. I see him a lot like the whole Brandon Carr thing. Go ask Cowboy fans how much he has helped there defense. And before you tell me about him going to the pro bowl I remind you Matt Cassel went to a pro bowl. Fisher his replacement struggled greatly as a rookie. But this team just needs him to be solid to get what Albert was getting them. It's not impossible for him to do. Fisher did get better as the year went which is what I look for from Rookies.

4. Last years rookies weren't as bad as some think. I've already talked about Fisher so I'll talk about a couple more. Marcus Cooper. Flowers missed a few games last year and I like many other thought the defense was in DEEP trouble. He made us not miss Flowers so much. He hit the rookie wall no one can dispute that but that is common with LOTS of rookies to see the flashes that he showed is exciting. Then there are the guys who didn't play much at all due to injury. Commings and Kelce in a way it's like the Chiefs got 2 extra draft picks this year. Except these guys do have a year of NFL under their belts so they are a little ahead of rookies. And Knile Davis was coming along at the end of the year. They can be of some help picking up where the guys we did lose left off. Along with the rookies this year.

Folks while I do expect a step back this year the long term outlook for this team is something to have some excitiment over. This has been said over and over again throughout the recent years but this time we have a proven winning Head coach unlike the others. Not a coach who is 1. Taken other coaches teams to the playoffs then downhill from there. 2. A rookie unproven head coach. 3. A coach with 0 playoff spots as HC a classic good DC bad head coach. Good things are coming this team isn't as hopeless as many think IMO.

7-9 wins
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

I agree with most of your points. I think the offense is going to be better or as good as it was the last half of the season. Some people forget how many points we put up WITHOUT JC in the lineup against Indy. That says a lot for the development of the passing game and the offense as a whole. My biggest question is which defense shows up. The banged up defense that was giving up 30-40 points against good competition and couldn't get to the QB, or the one that shut down all the teams at the beginning of the season.

If we see the good defense, I expect 9-10 wins and competing for a wildcard spot. If we see the exposed d that cannot get to the QB, I expect 6-7 wins and a top 15 pick next spring. I'm really hoping for the good defense.

Matthiewchiefs....I agree with you about 99.5%. We have lost some "names" we have counted on over the years, but I don't *think* we have lost as much value as many think we have. I figure 8-10 wins if we stay pretty healthy. If the injury-bug bites us hard I could see us winning as few as 6 games. But I think we are in a hunt for the playoffs right up to the last week or two. Perhaps most important is we actually have a real head coach! I wish he was a bit younger, but I think he is one of the best coaches in the game today.

jap1.....You make a GREAT point...In the last few games our offense showed they could light up the scoreboard every damned bit as well as the forehead. If we can couple that with reliable pressure on the opposing QB then we have a combination that can win consistently in today's NFL.

I think we will have to really fight to have a shot at a playoff berth, but if the injuries don't bite us too badly then I think we are "in the hunt" until at least our last week or two. And if we can just barely squeek into the playoffs in the AFC West then I see no reason we couldn't get a playoff win.

I don't think we can win a Super Bowl yet, but I honestly think we are moving in that direction at a rapid clip.

So after all that homerism I'll throw in some ice-water.....John Dorsey needs to get these contract extensions done and get our Chiefs out of CAP HELL!!!

As a life long Chiefs fans. I am optomistic but cautiously skeptic that something that we expect to be a strength will be an issue. Sorry. too many years of drinking the kool aid only to be dissapointed. I have to see this team actually play in the pre-season to get a feel of where they really are competitively. To see where their heads are.

My main concerns right now is obviously the Secondary. I am also concerned about the o-line. What really bothers me though is the two concerns that bother me the most may actually step up and not be an issue when something unexpected is the problem. Lets say, J. Charles loses a step and suddenly is no longer effective, or the same for DJ or Tamba. These are foundations we expect to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    As a life long Chiefs fans. I am optomistic but cautiously skeptic that something that we expect to be a strength will be an issue. Sorry. too many years of drinking the kool aid only to be disappointed.
    Been through too many years where we did good one year and then just went to Sh!t the following year. What was it in 2012(?) people were excited because we almost made the playoffs, Cassel was practicing with the other guys during the lock out, we had Romeo cronell as a head coach and he finish the season on high notes. Then you had the year after they won the AFC title and people thought this was our time, even though they just had one of the easiest schedule's. Preseason isn't going to help or hurt my thoughts for the season, it's an exhibition game.

Not drinking any kool-aid this year, as this has a transition year written all over it. It's next year in 2015 that I'm looking for big things. Too many question marks going into 2014 to get any expectations up. Biggest expectation is the development and maturation of what does appear to be a pretty sizable group of promising young ball players & hopeful continued improvement and progress by the O-Line.

Great post MC !

The only point I contend a little bit with is #3. Secondary chemistry is a fickle thing at best...If it's working, don't fix it. Pioli "fixed" it by allowing a "It's either Dwayne Bowe or Carr..." scenario and we wound up with Bowe. Going by criticism of the current secondary, all the silly drops, and Riverside airport excursions...I'm not convinced we got the better end of that deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Great post MC !

The only point I contend a little bit with is #3. Secondary chemistry is a fickle thing at best...If it's working, don't fix it. Pioli "fixed" it by allowing a "It's either Dwayne Bowe or Carr..." scenario and we wound up with Bowe. Going by criticism of the current secondary, all the silly drops, and Riverside airport excursions...I'm not convinced we got the better end of that deal.
    The secondary is the reason why I don't think this team will be making the playoffs this year.

I have never understood how much people liked Carr. He wasn't as good as alot of people think. I can think back of times that he totally got blown by and just because a safty was closer to the WR when the catch was made people blamed the Saftey. The best example I can give is the opener in 2010 Berrys first game. The Chargers WR blew by Carr like he was standing still Berry tried to get over to make the stop but couldn't and people blasted Berry ignoring the Carr got blown by. He just isn't anything special one look at Dallas's defense over the time he's been there as he was brought in to be their top corner should tell anyone that. I think they made the right choice. Bowe as much as he drives us all nuts by his lack of effort is the better player
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

While I generally lean towards agreeing with the moderately pessimistic predictions, I am not convinced we are already out of the playoffs. I think we have a decent chance of still being in the hunt the last 2 weeks. If we are, I think it will come down to one of those "We have to win and we need so and so to win and such and such to lose" type deals. Yes....it's a rebuilding year, but I don't think it is going to be a disaster. I think folks expecting a debacle will be pleasantly surprised. I still think that if the injuries don't don't bite us too badly we'll go 8-8 or 9-7. If we can get close to that late in the season then a couple of lucky breaks in the last 2 weeks could get us in the playoffs.

Don't forget, the run D isn't that great (11th worst rush defense, yards). This defense has a huge "?" on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast