Thread: Potential cuts based on depth and cap

Default Potential cuts based on depth and cap

Radio guys this morning was stating that depending on how Tyler Bray and Aaron Murray perform. C. Daniel could be traded or cut to save the team 3.6 million towards the cap. Nothing against Daniel, but there is more upside in the two younger players and they are cheaper. However, it all depends on how they perform. It was their understanding that Bray really struggled with the understanding of the offense. So they may be starting a rumor but it does make some sense with a little bit of information leaked by the Chiefs.

Next is Ryan Succop. Apparently Dave Toupe put Succop in his dog house after missing a kick against the Chargers which lost us the game and put the Charges in the play offs. They have brought in a kicker this year that was considered the best college kicker last year. They say this kids has a very strong leg and is not there just to get some work but to really compete for a spot. Cutting Ryan woudl save another 2.5 million.

That is 6 million dollars in cap savings for two playes that are really over paid. That would help a bunch in signing Houston or Smith.

If I thought we were a whisker away from a deep run in the playoffs this year then I'd say keep Chase Daniel. But with the tougher schedule this year and the veterans we have lost in Free Agency and through cap cuts I'd have no problem gambling on using Bray or Murray as the backup. I like Chase Daniel and he played VERY well in the second San Diego game last year, but with our cap troubles I see no problem with releasing him.

I like Succup. But if Toub thinks he's got someone younger and cheaper who is at least close to as good as Succup then again, because of the cap, it would seem the right thing to do.

The kicker is Cairo Santos.

Good Read on him. He was a foreign exchange student fro Brazil and convereted to a kicker after a coach saw him play soccer.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/ar...9589?p=2&tc=pg

Thanks for the link Seek! With the cap problems we have if Toub feels Santos is an acceptable replacement for Succup then given our cap situation I'd be OK with letting Succup go. It's not like he won't find another job.

I HATE IT! But with the cap and the big name contracts we have coming up we have to squeeze blood out of a stone and that may mean taking a chance on this Santos guy.

We're not going to settle for field goals anyway. Who cares if our kicker sucks we are scoring touchdowns!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    We're not going to settle for field goals anyway. Who cares if our kicker sucks we are scoring touchdowns!
    TRUE! But y'know.....I'd still like to have an inexpensive guy that has a 50+% chance of hitting a 50+ yard field goal with 3 seconds left in the half or the game. Every now and then that can come in real handy. Plus we need someone that can go 99% on extra points.

I won't shed a single tear if Succup goes down the road. I've been let down WAY TOO MANY TIMES by supposedly infallible Chiefs kickers. It would almost be a relief to have a kicker who was only "decent". But I want him to be reliable on extra points and Field Goals from inside 35 yards (approx the 18 yard line as the line of scrimmage) and I want him to have the leg to be able to try Field Goals at 50 yards +. When you are down by 1 or 2 and it's 4th and 11, no timeouts left and 3 seconds left in the game or the half I want a kicker that has enough leg to at least be a threat.....if nothing else that threat allows you to fake the Field Goal and throw the bomb and the bad guys can't drop everybody deep because they will feel they need to put some pressure on the kicker. Gives the Hail Mary a somewhat better chance of success.

Out of who's next...My guess would be Chase Daniels. Not because of performance, just $$$'s.

I'm a little concerned about letting Succop go. Unless it's clearly broken, don't fix it. Succop won't make anyone forget about Nick Lowery, Jan Stenerud or Pete Stoyanovich, but he's far from horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Out of who's next...My guess would be Chase Daniels. Not because of performance, just $$$'s.

I'm a little concerned about letting Succop go. Unless it's clearly broken, don't fix it. Succop won't make anyone forget about Nick Lowery, Jan Stenerud or Pete Stoyanovich, but he's far from horrible.
    I hear you! Succop is a good kicker and I am in no hurry to let him go. That said, I trust Toub. He's not going to replace Succop with a sucker just to save a few bucks. If Toub says this Santos guy is "good enough" then I figure he is. Besides...we've almost always had great kickers.....right up until it counted the most. Slap a Chiefs jersey on Santos and he'll be the best kicker the NFL has ever seen!!!